PDA

View Full Version : Memory/ SSD upgrade questions. G74Sx bbk8

indianacarnie
12-11-2012, 10:02 PM
Wanting to do a little upgrading on my machine. Couple of questions.......

1. I have two 500gb spinners. I want to replace one of them to an SSD. My question is....... how can I tell which one is the physical repository of the O.S.? The one "on top" when I open the case? Or the lower one?

2. Will I need a bracket for it? Or are the physical dimensions the same? Any recommendations? I was looking at this one, 128GB Crucial m4 2.5" , but am open to suggestions. Need/want something in that same general price range i.e $120.00.

3. Also, I have 8gb installed ddr3 1333 (stock machine in every way). Crucial's "guaranteed-compatible upgrades" suggests this: ddr3-1600. I know that the 1600 will be throttled down to 1333 but my question is,will running two different speeds affect performance/stability? Would I be better off just installing 8gb more of a 1333?

Forgive me if these questions are self evident to some of you. I know O.S.'s pretty well but am just starting to dig into the hardware end of these machines. Thank you for your time and patience.

Gorman
12-11-2012, 10:11 PM
1. Quickest is just to unplug one and see if it boots. If not then that's where your OS is installed.

2. 2.5" in to a 2.5" hole will fit. But 2.5" in to a 3.5" needs a bracket. I like the Curical Ms

3. Generally same type is best, but it won't cause any problems to mix and match probably.

indianacarnie
12-12-2012, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated!