PDA

View Full Version : Help! I am an idiot

letapecul
12-13-2012, 03:33 AM
ehello all! while attempting to upgrade my g75vw to windows 8 yesterday, i somehow took a wrong turn somewhere and the installation did not work. i tried again, and for the life of me cannot remember what i did, but i somehow have ended up in an ASUS preload wizard loop from which there appears to be no escape. at first, i resigned myself to just following through with the recovery process and starting over. however, now the preload wizard will run, appear to be successful, then restart the computer and take me right back to the preload wizard. i tried using the recovery discs i made when i first got the computer but no luck breaking out of this cycle. i know this looks like a clusterfark of massive proportions, and i realize i have screwed something up horribly. any help would be greatly appreciated!

rewben
12-13-2012, 03:44 AM
by ASUS preload wizard you mean the f9 recovery process on boot? what did you do when you're in the preload wizard process?

by the way i assume you have a g75vw that was preloaded with w7. have you upgraded your bios?

dstrakele
12-13-2012, 03:49 AM
The ASUS Factory Recovery process from DVD typically takes about an hour and 45 minutes, rebooting the laptop several times. ASUS Factory Recovery from the hidden partition on your HDD, accessed by pressing F9 at startup, takes about an hour, also performing multiple reboots.

If you interrupt the process before completion, it may result in the behavior you report. When completed, the recovery should leave you at the Windows 7 Setup Wizard screen.

rewben
12-13-2012, 03:57 AM
ah.. that's because of incomplete recovery; then all you have to do is to start over and wait patiently for another 1hour+.

letapecul
12-13-2012, 04:51 AM
The ASUS Factory Recovery process from DVD typically takes about an hour and 45 minutes, rebooting the laptop several times. ASUS Factory Recovery from the hidden partition on your HDD, accessed by pressing F9 at startup, takes about an hour, also performing multiple reboots.

If you interrupt the process before completion, it may result in the behavior you report. When completed, the recovery should leave you at the Windows 7 Setup Wizard screen.

the problem seems to be, i tried recovering from the discs, waited through the entire process, put discs in when needed, but always end up back at the preload wizard screen, which refuses to do anything until you click through the screens asking for
1. Please select your language
2. Warning about recovery
3. Click on "Recover Windws to entire HD" (which is also the only option available)
4. Warning that it will return computer to factory state
5. Click Finish to run the recovry process

after that
1.diskpart.exe runs, saying disk 0 is the selected disc and that partition 3 is the selected partition
2. a new screen pops up X:imagex64.exe and says it is applying progress. this takes about 2 minutes
3. a bunch of screens pop up in rapid succession, i believe at some point i saw something saying access denied
4. then diskpart.exe runs again saying that partition 4 is the selected partition
5. another screen pops up, maybe wpeutil or something, that blinks out after a second, the computer restarts, and the whole cycle starts over again at the preload wizard screen and "Please select your language"

sorry if this is a bit of a mess, i am only slightly above total moron when it comes to computers, so if something i wrote doesn't make sense, it is probably my fault

oh, and rewben, i didn't specifically upgrade my bios. unless it was included in some other process, anyways

dstrakele
12-13-2012, 05:32 AM
Are you removing the Recovery DVD before you select your language in Windows Setup?

letapecul
12-13-2012, 05:55 AM
Are you removing the Recovery DVD before you select your language in Windows Setup?

yes, the recovery dvd is out at that point

dstrakele
12-13-2012, 06:04 AM
How long does the Recovery process run until it starts again from "Select your Language"?

Do you get the same behavior when you initiate Recovery with F9 at startup - particularly the" Access Denied " error?

letapecul
12-13-2012, 06:15 AM
How long had the Recovery process run before you entered your language?

Did you let the laptop remain at the Windows Setup Wizard screen for at least 10 minutes before touching it?

well, from bootup until entering language it is only running for a minute or two. also, i have not gotten to any windows setup wizard screens, only the asus preload wizard. i tried the recovery disc last night, let the whole process run, then didnt touch anything. i ended up at the asus preload wizard, and i let it sit on the language selection screen for an hour, but nothing happened

dstrakele
12-13-2012, 06:31 AM
If this same behavior is occurring when you press F9 at startup to run the Recovery from the hidden ASUS Factory Recovery partition, I suspect it may be corrupt as well as the DVD's you created from it.

So it's not your fault or anything you are doing wrong...

letapecul
12-13-2012, 06:37 AM
If this same behavior is occurring when you press F9 at startup to run the Recovery from the hidden ASUS Factory Recovery partition, I suspect it may be corrupt as well as the DVD's you created from it.

So it's not your fault or anything you are doing wrong...

any advice as to where to go from here? i don't mind doing a fresh install but i don't want to cause any more problems. is there a copy of windows 7 i can dowload to a usb and then do a totally new installation from or will it clash with the asus recovery stuff?

GottiBoi55
12-13-2012, 06:44 AM
well, from bootup until entering language it is only running for a minute or two. also, i have not gotten to any windows setup wizard screens, only the asus preload wizard. i tried the recovery disc last night, let the whole process run, then didnt touch anything. i ended up at the asus preload wizard, and i let it sit on the language selection screen for an hour, but nothing happened

Well at that point you need to select your language, then click on next.
Then "don't touch anything" till you get to the "windows setup screen"
This will take awhile, like one hour+ to complete because this is rebuilding your "Recovery Partition"
now at this point when you get to the "windows setup screen" it will ask you for your language again, and click on next.

PS: By no means don't touch anything to you get to the"windows setup screen"!

dstrakele
12-13-2012, 07:02 AM
I'll help you tomorrow if someone else doesn't jump in here.

letapecul
12-13-2012, 07:08 AM
Well at that point you need to select your language, then click on next.
Then "don't touch anything" till you get to the "windows setup screen"
This will take awhile, like one hour+ to complete because this is rebuilding your "Recovery Partition"
now at this point when you get to the "windows setup screen" it will ask you for your language again, and click on next.

PS: By no means don't touch anything to you get to the"windows setup screen"!

the problem, after i choose the language in the asus preload wizard and let it run, it doesnt lead to any windows setup screens. it works for a a few minutes, then reboots and takes me right back to the preload wizard.

letapecul
12-13-2012, 07:08 AM

thanks! i need all the help i can get

letapecul
12-13-2012, 07:09 AM

thanks! i need all the help i can get

rewben
12-13-2012, 04:32 PM
for the fresh install part, you can at least get these first:

1. windows 7 home premium 64bit with sp1 - http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58997.iso
2. ASUS drivers (http://rog.asus.com/notebook/17-inch/g75vw/)
3. 8gb usb stick

letapecul
12-13-2012, 04:40 PM
for the fresh install part, you can at least get these first:

1. windows 7 home premium 64bit with sp1 - http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58997.iso
2. ASUS drivers (http://rog.asus.com/notebook/17-inch/g75vw/)
3. 8gb usb stick

thanks! i had downloaded a different iso (x15-65733) just in case but this appears to be a newer version. i appreciate it!

dstrakele
12-13-2012, 04:56 PM
Glad to see @rewben jumped in to help you. If you want the easiest driver installation (and don't mind somewhat outdated drivers), you can install them all at one shot if you have a "Drivers and Applications" CD that shipped with*your laptop.

GottiBoi55
12-14-2012, 12:55 AM
The best thing now is a "fresh install"......your in good hands with rewben.
Good luck, hope all goes a lot better with the fresh install.

rewben
12-14-2012, 02:28 AM
what we are going to do here is a UEFI install, since your stock disk is a GPT disk. it's a bit lengthy in words.

you can do the prep work on another computer. also, you should be able to find the windows 7 product key at the back of your laptop (some put it behind the battery). additionally, get 7-zip 9.30 from here (http://7-zip.org/) (this might be needed if the other computer on which you use for prep thing is not a windows 7 64bit).

here we go:

1. save all the drivers into an external storage.

2. create a windows 7 install usb.
a) format your usb with FAT32.
b) copy all the contents from windows 7 iso into the formatted usb stick. as an example i assume your usb stick is at x:\
c) if you have a working windows 7 64bit, find C:\Windows\Boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi; if not, use 7-zip to open the install.wim in x:\sources\ (select > right click > open archive). then in the 7-zip explorer, browse to folder 1\Windows\Boot\EFI\. extract the file bootmgfw.efi.
d) now in you usb stick, create a 'boot' folder in the 'efi' folder (i.e. x:\efi\boot). in that efi folder you should see the 'microsoft' folder.
e) put the bootmgfw.efi inside the newly created 'boot' folder and rename it as bootx64.efi (x:\efi\boot\bootx64.efi)
f) now you have a uefi bootable usb disk.

3. set up your bios
- make sure that AHCI is selected in your Bios > Advanced Boot > SATA Configurations.

4. fresh windows installation
- plug in the usb stick. boot your laptop, and spam the esc key when you see the POST screen with ROG logo. a popup menu should be up and choose the option with 'UEFI:<your.usb.stick>' and continue. reorganize your HDD partitions if you want.
- make sure you take out your installation media upon first reboot. if your windows failed to boot, check and make your HDD the first boot option in bios. normally it will boot straight away, because it's now the only bootable source in your system.

5. driver installation
- install the drivers. multiple reboots are required in this stage.

edit: as mentioned above, this is a uefi install. i used usb because i want to get rid of potential problems we might run into when a windows 7 dvd is used (unlike w8, w7 dvd does not run well for uefi install by default).

if you need to have a BIOS install, there is a guide *banned website*. you might want to read about the driver section.

letapecul
12-16-2012, 11:11 AM
thanks a lot! you are the best. i am going to try now! wish me luck!

rewben
12-16-2012, 01:36 PM
no problem; good luck :)