PDA

View Full Version : restore G75 Laptop

zizzle
12-13-2012, 05:02 AM
**SOLVED**

i was able to solve this problem and restore to factory settings. i will edit this post to add the solution for anyone needing it in the future. You might wanna check the ChangeHD capability in AI Recovery (discueed below) coz it might solve that problem much easier (if it works).

**Original Post**

Im trying to restore my G75 laptop (win7 64bit) to factory settings. The problem is, i did not create back up DVDs so that option is out of the qeustion. Anyway here's my story

After running the laptop for a while i noticed that 2 new drivers were added to my computer, drive Microsoft Office Click-to-run 2010, which is protected, and drive Recovery, which is a 15 GB drive that i can access. I didnt lose no sleep

A few weeks later i tried to restore my laptop to factory settings using the AI Recovery but it gives me a messages saying The factory defaults have been deleted.

Now i know the factory settings are not deleted because i can see the drive, but somehow the program cant see it

I tried pressing f9 after restarting but that didnt work either, The list only included the option to run Windows so i guess the system cant see the Recovery partition as well

so, what do i do ?

**UPDATE**

using the link in REWBEN's post and some more tweeks i was able to make the recovery

*STOP*

BEFORE GOING THROUGH ALL THIS TROUBLE YOU MIGHT WANNA TRY THE BUILT IN REPAIR PROGRAM IN AI RECOVERY. GO TO THE AI RECOVERY FOLDER (C:\PROGRAM FILES (86)\AUSUS\AI RECOVERY) AND LOOK FOR CHANGE HD.EXE. RUN THE FILE AS AN ADMIN AND IT WILL FIX THE PROBLEM FOR YOU. IF THAT DIDNT WORK (LIKE IN MY CASE) PROCEED TO THE STEPS BELOW.

First enter disk management
turn the recovery disk into active (right click on the drive name and make active)
then run diskpart (start menue, search for program)

> select disk 0
> select partition 1
> set id=07 override
> active
> exit

PS: My laptop had two disks and the recovery partition was on disk two (you can know from disk management) so instead select disk 0 i had to select disk 1. I had 2 other partitions on disk two so instead of select partition 1 i selected partition 3.

After you do the command above restart your computer. Keep clicking ESC as the computer is booting to get to the boot menue. Boot from the recovery partition (you might have to do some trial and error because the disk names are not clear if you're not a tech wizard like myself) and the asus recovery wizard will start. From there just follow the steps and you'll be fine

After the recovery was complete i noticed that the Recovery partiton disappear. (from disk management it showed that the partition was now empty and inactive) i downloaded AI Recovery and what a pleasant surprise it was when the program ran like its supposed to. Follow the steps from there and create your own recovery DVD

YOUR WELCOME !

dstrakele
12-13-2012, 05:48 AM
Post a screenshot of Disk Management, so we can see the drives on your laptop and how they are partitioned.

Tell us more about what was happening on your laptop that led you to first attempt an ASUS Factory Recovery.

zizzle
12-13-2012, 05:52 AM
well the internet started running extremely slow after a few mins of booting (its fine in the first couple of minutes) and at the same time the fan noise suddenly becomes loud

SUKARA@ASUS
12-13-2012, 07:03 AM
Did you have changed any hardware device? (EX: memory ,CPU or others....?
If your notherbook recover partition loss,maybe you muse be consider about sent the notebook to asus re-build it..

asus service centert contact information:
http://support.asus.com/Hotlines.aspx?SLanguage=en

zizzle
12-13-2012, 02:40 PM
no i havnt added any parts to the laptop, it just happened...

rewben
12-13-2012, 04:24 PM
about the slow internet, do you have any antivirus (mcAfee especially) running now? if you do have that, try disable/remove it and see how it goes.

there is a way to make the recovery partition to boot (http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/28232-SOLVED-Need-help-booting-Asus-recovery-partition). it basically makes the recovery partition to become bootable so that the user can do the restore. however, if you're unsure, please don't do this without help.

zizzle
12-13-2012, 04:38 PM
i tried disabling the anti virus...didnt help

booting the recovery drive sounds like a great idea, can you let me know how to do that ?

zizzle
12-14-2012, 03:01 AM
about the slow internet, do you have any antivirus (mcAfee especially) running now? if you do have that, try disable/remove it and see how it goes.

there is a way to make the recovery partition to boot (http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/28232-SOLVED-Need-help-booting-Asus-recovery-partition). it basically makes the recovery partition to become bootable so that the user can do the restore. however, if you're unsure, please don't do this without help.

i owe you big time. not only i was able to restore to factory settings but i was able to create the recovery DVD as well !

rewben
12-14-2012, 05:06 AM
zizzle, don't mention it :) your creativity leads to a far better and working solution for many; thanks for sharing!

MasterShredder
11-28-2013, 03:48 AM
I have tried following your steps so that I can also restore my computer to factory settings, but I have hit a snag. I am unable to get my recovery partition to go active. when I type:

set id=07 override

and

active

I get the error message "The selected disk is not a fixed MBR disk"

Has my partition perhaps been damaged? I erased the main partition with windows on it but I believe I left the other partitions alone. I was able to enable the recovery partition so that I could view it on My Computer. Of course all the files were hidden and I could not see any of it, but I was able to see "69 mb free of 299 mb" which leads me to believe there is something on there.

Is there a way for me to still use this recovery partition or is it of no use to me? Thanks for helping me out, I'm not sure if I will have to send my unit in to be fixed by ASUS.

rewben
11-28-2013, 05:12 AM
hi @MasterShredder,

i assume you're running on stock w7 like OP.

first of all, that is not the right recovery partition (299MB should be the size of the windows created recovery partition, not the one created by ASUS, which should be 20GB or so)

with a bootable windows media, i guess you should be able to enable the correct recovery partition and make it bootable. or, a linux livecd might help, too.