PDA

View Full Version : The saga continues: possible memory failure

Gorman
12-13-2012, 09:09 AM
All of a sudden I start getting BSODs, and of course since I have 16gb of ram I don't have a page file. At first I suspected a failed hdd so I ran chkdsk on the suspect drive. Chkdsk failed, implying a broken file allocation table. I manage to fix that - but it resulted in all my drivers becoming corrupt. So armed with my new 600x800 resolution and no ability to connect to networks I made the decision to carpet bomb - reinstall windows.

However during the install... BSOD - page fault in non paged area!
What a bother. Well I'll just figure out which ram chip it is and take it out then, right?
No, not right. The g53 requires a full disassembly to swap two ram chips!
Scratch that plan, just call support and RMA.

Too bad the only call center in this country is in a time zone 3 hours ahead, so they all knock off at 2pm - and it's 4:30 already!

What a bother!

Luckily failed ram isn't hard to fix, you just swap it! Tomorrow I'll RMA and it should be done within a few days - if not on the spot!
*fingers crossed for 5th time RMA*

HiVizMan
12-13-2012, 10:18 AM
Gorman I have passed this thread onto one of the Aussie guys from ASUS who are on this forum, hope they can have this RMA go smoothly mate.

Gorman
12-13-2012, 11:06 AM
I think I need to reseat some memory hey...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13649456/Images/Camera/Photo%2013-12-12%205%2024%2049%20PM.jpg

Thanks HiVizMan, I'll shoot you (or if someone else contacts me) a PM once I get an RMA number tomorrow.

HiVizMan
12-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Bloody hell certainly looks that way. Yeah not sure if he has picked up the email yet but please do pm me as to the progress.

Gorman
12-14-2012, 06:20 AM
On hold for 20 minutes while they check the factory RAM.

Then they tell me they will call me back when they find out... That was an hour ago, it's now 30 minutes before they clock out D:
Will they discover the elusive factory RAM for the G53jw-xt1 or will they time out?

EDIT: Called them back, they realized it was pointless to even bother checking since either way it needs to go in to the center....

HiVizMan
12-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Its like the one time I sent a screen back to LG, it had a bloody great hole in the centre of the monitor where a fork lift prong thing had pierced right though the box and a couple of other packages. Email response from LG "monitor is with our technitions for testing". Yeah right.

Gorman
01-22-2013, 06:23 AM
Apparently just 5 to 10 more working days!

It went up from "5 working days" to "5 to 10 working days". Of course, there was a month and a half between now and then...

dstrakele
01-22-2013, 06:42 AM
Apparently, that indicates you are speeding away from the ASUS Repair Center at a velocity approaching the speed of light. What type of engine are you using for propulsion?

Gorman
01-22-2013, 08:04 PM
A warp drive of course!

Though if the duration has increased then wouldn't I have to use dimensional manipulation to go back in time, rather than just dilate time?!

dstrakele
01-22-2013, 08:56 PM
No - the Repair Center is adjusting your laptop's ETA for completion of repairs to coincide with your slowdown in relative time. But just to be safe, watch out so you don't run over your Grandfather....

Gorman
01-23-2013, 08:03 AM
ASUS are always so considerate of time travelers, I've never heard of any other company like them!

Gorman
02-01-2013, 02:41 AM
Just got the "Laptop is ready" email!

Going to pick it up tomorrow, hopefully they did a good job!

Gorman
02-01-2013, 08:22 AM
Ok so...

According to the service center, all 4 sticks of RAM failed at the same time. Apparently he tested it with stock 2gb sticks and it worked fine, so his theory is overheating. The motherboard was tested and works fine. Apparently....

The story about 4 RAM sticks failing at the same time? Seems strange. How can 4 sticks fail and the motherboard be fine? It makes no sense, it seems impossible. 2 months of testing and they come up with a story like that? I dunno...

So time for some independent testing...

EDIT: So, I don't have any 64 bit machines to test the RAM on at the moment, but on a 32-bit they showed up and it didn't error out. What a bother!

EDIT2: 3 of 4 sticks confirmed to be 100% working. 1 stick has a considerable error rate. Not sure how the repair shop missed this, did they not actually test the RAM? There was 2 parts to test, did they test the motherboard at least?!

EDIT3: Looks like they overlooked the motherboard too, the laptop won't even boot D:< What were they doing for those 2 months? Argh!

EDIT4: So I think I can get it working, had to disassemble the entire thing to get to that 3rd DIMM slot!

Gorman
02-06-2013, 05:36 PM
So when are we going to get a new customer service rep to complain to huh? My G53 has spent more than 30% of it's life in service centers, and probably around 50% of it's life in an unusable broken state... Not to mention 100% of the time in a "it could fail at any time so don't rely on it" state...

#mad

Chino
02-06-2013, 06:46 PM
I think he's cl-jeffery. Although I've also seen cl-albert on here. :confused:

HiVizMan
02-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Think we have one mate. My understanding is that cl-Albert is our go to guy now.

You still not sorted? You are so kidding me right?

Gorman
02-07-2013, 09:52 AM
Think we have one mate. My understanding is that cl-Albert is our go to guy now.

You still not sorted? You are so kidding me right?
I wish I was kidding man -_-;

When I opened it up to put RAM in I noticed something was broken... The clip that holds in the ribbon cable for the power button - of all things!

So now until I can figure out how to nicely fix that, I can't even power it up to test if the motherboard even works properly!

Here's the steps I need to take;
1. Fix it so it can power up
2. Test mobo
3.a If it doesn't work properly, time for another 2 months of RMA!
3.b If it does work properly, then be mad at ASUS for being incompetent -_-; Scratch that, at this point I'm already mad -_-;
4. Hopefully have it in working condition within 6 months! (fingers crossed)

HiVizMan
02-07-2013, 10:40 AM
That sucks big time.

The ribbon cable clips are easy to replace as you know, is it an odd size that you can not get a couple sent to you in OZ locally? If so hit me up via pm and I will find them here and shoot them over via airmail.

Gorman
02-07-2013, 11:03 AM
It's an 8 pin, don't know what the size names. I'll check a local store when I get a chance, it's just a bother you know?

Thanks for the offer though :)

cl-Albert
02-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Hi Gorman,
Sounds like you might be located in Australia, but if you are located in North America, let me know if you want me to get involved with this.
- Albert

Gorman
02-07-2013, 07:27 PM
I am located in Australia. Who do I talk to?

Do you know anyone who has power to give replacement products or refunds? Seriously 30% downtime is unacceptable -_-;

cl-Albert
02-07-2013, 10:00 PM
If you're not in North America, unfortunately, I don't know.
Our website has a number for Australia you can try if you aren't using it already.
Australia: 1300-278788, 09:00-18:00 Mon-Fri
http://support.asus.com/Hotlines.aspx?SLanguage=en

I saw your post below and was wondering did you also check out your memory to make sure it's okay?
"EDIT2: 3 of 4 sticks confirmed to be 100% working. 1 stick has a considerable error rate. Not sure how the repair shop missed this, did they not actually test the RAM? There was 2 parts to test, did they test the motherboard at least?!"

You might need to be persistent with that service center to make sure they are checking everything they should and take care of the problem, but also make sure everything else is okay on your end (like the memory if you upgraded it?) and there isn't something else causing the problem.
Good luck!

Gorman
02-08-2013, 03:12 AM
Like I said, I tested the memory, and only 1 stick has failed. Have not yet been able to test the motherboard.

I'd feel rude to call up the service centre and say "guys are you doing your job? Please make sure to do your job"!

For the moment there's no reason to RMA it until I can actually test the motherboard.

Gorman
03-20-2013, 05:31 AM
So I finally had time to call support today, here's how the conversation went;
Me: "So <blah blah motherboard failure, RAM works fine I tested it myself>"
"Well the notes here say the RAM was all faulty and the motherboard was fine"
Me: "Yes, when I talked to the guy at the service center he said he just tested it with 2gb sticks and it worked so he assumed the RAM was faulty and said I could test it myself"
"Ok well talk to them"
Me: "But it's fairly obvious the mobo is faulty, you can't just give me an RMA number?"
"No you need to talk to the service center"

Now I have to call the service center and get them to RMA it? I don't even. Apparently ASUS call line don't even do RMAs any more, they just tell you to call the local shop...

The shop never answers their phone, I'm 75% sure there is no phone plugged in...

ASUS still does do support right? It isn't new company policy to direct all support requests to dead phone lines, right..? RIGHT????

EDIT: After an hour of calling finally get through
"Yeah you can come drop it off here any time that's fine"
> these guys don't even ask for a SN or RMA#
ASUS call centers are useless, it's totally fine if I just contact the service center directly every time right?

cl-Albert
03-20-2013, 06:13 PM
Not sure what is going on with the ASUS support line in Australia, but are you just planning to RMA the notebook again soon and confident it will really be fixed this time?

If you have the time and interest (and warranty left), thought we could try to discuss and strategize more first about the best way to get it taken care of this time. Send me a PM with your serial number if you are interested, and there are still some things I wanted to check with you too.

The ASUS Australia support page (http://support.asus.com/contactus.aspx?SLanguage=en) looks similar to the other regions and option #8 has a 'Feedback Channel' you may want to try at this link (https://vip.asus.com/VIP2/Services/complain?lang=en-us) to see if you can get the attention of HQ or the right people.

You have probably checked option #4 on the support page for the service centers, but just wondering if you have a choice for a different (or 'better'?) service center if it doesn't sound like the one(s) you have been using are able to take care of the problem although it would be nice to have some idea that they will really do a better job.

Gorman
03-21-2013, 12:24 AM
Not sure what is going on with the ASUS support line in Australia, but are you just planning to RMA the notebook again soon and confident it will really be fixed this time?
5 RMAs and no fixes, no I'm not confident, but I'm optimistic >_<

If you have the time and interest (and warranty left), thought we could try to discuss and strategize more first about the best way to get it taken care of this time. Send me a PM with your serial number if you are interested, and there are still some things I wanted to check with you too.
Sure.

You have probably checked option #4 on the support page for the service centers, but just wondering if you have a choice for a different (or 'better'?) service center if it doesn't sound like the one(s) you have been using are able to take care of the problem although it would be nice to have some idea that they will really do a better job.
There's none within a few hundred kilometres :/

cl-Albert
03-21-2013, 12:57 AM
Okay, just sent you a PM asking for your notebook serial number, so let me know if you didn't see it.

While we're waiting, what are the current problems with your G53 notebook and is anything different from when you sent it back last time? Just wondering if the service center will have an easier time catching the problem(s) this time.

Also, did you see that option for the 'Feedback Channel' from my last post and think it's something you want to try yet? It's up to you, but just wanted to make sure you were aware of it.

Gorman
03-21-2013, 03:08 AM
Okay, just sent you a PM asking for your notebook serial number, so let me know if you didn't see it.
I'm out of the house so I don't have the SN at the moment, I'll send it when I get home.

While we're waiting, what are the current problems with your G53 notebook and is anything different from when you sent it back last time? Just wondering if the service center will have an easier time catching the problem(s) this time.
First 4 failures were related to the faulty power plug, but this failure was probably a motherboard failure (also probably related to the faulty plug...). The service centre returned it and say "all 4 sticks of RAM failed" which I highly doubted. They said they tested the machine with a 2gb stick and it worked fine, they took out all the RAM and gave it back and said it was fine if I took it apart to put RAM in (to get to the RAM slots you have to disassemble EVERYTHING). So I tested the RAM in another machine, and 1 stick failed mem test, the rest were 100% working. So it's pretty clearly a mobo issue (I suspect a bus line failed in some way). Right now it doesn't boot, because of the RAM and mobo issue and because a ribbon cable clip is damaged and wedged in sideways... (the HDD fittings are also broken and wedged in...)

Also, did you see that option for the 'Feedback Channel' from my last post and think it's something you want to try yet? It's up to you, but just wanted to make sure you were aware of it.
I submitted it once before and they basically replied "we don't do replacements or refunds so deal with it" which was annoying.

I'll try again if you think it's worth it.

The service centre in question is the one in Morley, WA 6062 and it's listed on the ASUS website (and it's the one the call centre staff keep telling me to use).

cl-Albert
03-21-2013, 06:38 PM
Gorman,

Thanks for sending me your serial number and I'm not able to reach this ASUS Perth Service Center, but was consdering trying to find someone else who could or check if it would be better/possible to get it to a different office.

1. Didn't realize you purchased it in the U.S. which could be a factor in trying to get a replacement (as well as repair time if the G53Jw isn't sold in Australia which you maybe shouldn't have to worry about), but if you were having the DC jack issues, a G53Jw replacement unit probably would not have made a difference for this problem at least. By the way you may want to search the forums later for suggestions about trying to prevent this from happening again if you haven't already or talk about it more.

2. Your invoice should give you more time for warranty, but I show you are out of the manufacturer warranty (without the invoice) according to your notebook serial number, so you may want to check your invoice and make sure you don't wait too long to get this taken care of.

3. If you can't even boot up the system right now to check anything, you probably just want to get it to the service center soon to take care of.

4. I can see your last 3 rmas in our system and for your last repair the notes mentioned "CANNOT LOAD TO OS USING CUSTOMER SSD BUT OK WITH TEST HDD", but I didn't see any mention about the memory.
I don't have much problem with the service center using their memory and hard drive to test the unit if you upgraded them on your side, but since it's so difficult to get to the 2 memory slots under the keyboard for your G53Jw, maybe you can talk them into testing the unit with two of your 4Gb memory modules installed under the keyboard (and returning it this way if everything is okay) at least which they really don't need to do as long as they test their memory at least.
If Windows7 64-bit (not 32-bit) installs with your 2 pcs of 4Gb memory under the keyboard and (any) memory installed under the notebook on any hard drive (preferably your SSD drive) and everything else looks okay, I would feel pretty good about that.

Otherwise, as a bare minimum the service center should install memory (yours or theirs) in all 4 memory slots when they install Windows7 64-bit and test the system to make sure there isn't a bad memory slot on the motherboard although a flaky/intermittent memory slot under the keyboard can be tough to catch.

5. I don't have all the details about your repairs, but can't see anything yet to complain about in regards to that service center except maybe the repair time.
Yeah, I don't know if it will help very much to try the 'Feedback Channel' again although you may just want to vent or let them know what is going on if you feel like it.

6. Feel free to discuss more, but if you agree, it might be a good idea just to get your unit to the service center very soon and powering on again at least?

Good luck and hope I was able to help.

Gorman
03-22-2013, 04:18 AM
1. Didn't realize you purchased it in the U.S. which could be a factor in trying to get a replacement (as well as repair time if the G53Jw isn't sold in Australia which you maybe shouldn't have to worry about), but if you were having the DC jack issues, a G53Jw replacement unit probably would not have made a difference for this problem at least. By the way you may want to search the forums later for suggestions about trying to prevent this from happening again if you haven't already or talk about it more.
I use a right angle adapter and don't ever move it. That's why 2 years ago I asked for a replacement of another model or a refund, there's no point having a model that is destined to fail.
ASUS is pretty irresponsible to sell this model, and not to recall it or fix the issue.

2. Your invoice should give you more time for warranty, but I show you are out of the manufacturer warranty (without the invoice) according to your notebook serial number, so you may want to check your invoice and make sure you don't wait too long to get this taken care of.
It shouldn't matter since it's the same problem as last time, if support return a non-working laptop to customer, how can they consider that "case closed, RMA successful"?

3. If you can't even boot up the system right now to check anything, you probably just want to get it to the service center soon to take care of.
Yup.

4. I can see your last 3 rmas in our system and for your last repair the notes mentioned "CANNOT LOAD TO OS USING CUSTOMER SSD BUT OK WITH TEST HDD", but I didn't see any mention about the memory.
I don't have much problem with the service center using their memory and hard drive to test the unit if you upgraded them on your side, but since it's so difficult to get to the 2 memory slots under the keyboard for your G53Jw, maybe you can talk them into testing the unit with two of your 4Gb memory modules installed under the keyboard (and returning it this way if everything is okay) at least which they really don't need to do as long as they test their memory at least.
If Windows7 64-bit (not 32-bit) installs with your 2 pcs of 4Gb memory under the keyboard and (any) memory installed under the notebook on any hard drive (preferably your SSD drive) and everything else looks okay, I would feel pretty good about that.
They didn't even test the memory at all? The problem with testing with 2gb sticks instead of 4gb is that memtest seemed to indicate it was an issue that would only occur with 3gb+, so they should have at least tested with similar hardware.
Yes, I would be happy if the computer actually worked too!

Otherwise, as a bare minimum the service center should install memory (yours or theirs) in all 4 memory slots when they install Windows7 64-bit and test the system to make sure there isn't a bad memory slot on the motherboard although a flaky/intermittent memory slot under the keyboard can be tough to catch.
Note sure if you read the entire thread, but on the first page I posted an image of memtest86 which shows this is definitely not the issue.
What's more worrying than the motherboard failure is that the server center guy said it was probably caused by overheating or power surge - which would be caused by the socket failure that plagues this model - so once again it all comes back to the damn socket...

5. I don't have all the details about your repairs, but can't see anything yet to complain about in regards to that service center except maybe the repair time.
While 2 month turn around times are bad, you don't think 5 RMAs in 2 years is something to complain about? 3 of which are for the exact same issue. And the latest repair they failed to test the machine properly and returned it in non-working order with some flaky excuse "oh all your RAM has failed" without actually testing the RAM and without testing the motherboard appropriately?
Around 40% of the time that I've had this laptop it's been in non-working order. You don't think this is something to complain about?
I also think it's a bit dishonest to have 2 month repair times, and not extend the warranty by 2 months - it's like they are just buying time...

6. Feel free to discuss more, but if you agree, it might be a good idea just to get your unit to the service center very soon and powering on again at least?
I will do when I get the chance.

dstrakele
03-22-2013, 02:24 PM
Didn't realize you purchased it in the U.S. which could be a factor in trying to get a replacement (as well as repair time if the G53Jw isn't sold in Australia which you maybe shouldn't have to worry about), but if you were having the DC jack issues, a G53Jw replacement unit probably would not have made a difference for this problem at least...

I say give him a G55 replacement. Gorman's paid his RMA dues and deserves a break. Have Gorman post a video on YouTube of him doing the Harlem Shake while wearing an "I LOVE ASUS ROG" T-shirt as part of the deal....

Gorman
03-22-2013, 03:59 PM
Have Gorman post a video on YouTube of him doing the Harlem Shake while wearing an "I LOVE ASUS ROG" T-shirt as part of the deal....
I'm not doing that either way :I

dstrakele
03-22-2013, 04:38 PM
Not a problem... ASUS Management would prefer you appear in a promotional ad with PSY dancing Gangnam Style. They figure it'll play better in Asia...

Gorman
05-16-2013, 12:15 AM
The sage continues: Part MMXIII: "Repairs complete email received"

A mere 2 (or so) months after sent in for repairs, it has been completed. We have the technology, and we have rebuilt!
Going to pick it up soon!

Will be raging hard if I hear "lol we didnt do anything" again!

chrsplmr
05-16-2013, 12:26 AM
hahhahaha .. yes, yes .. hahhahhaa .. this is great !!! roflm...OFF.c.

Gorman
05-23-2013, 11:11 AM
Laptop received.

They managed to absolutely destroy my windows install. I wonder if they destroyed everything on all HDDs and partitions?

Repair center's unofficial advice was to sell it. I kind of agree, but I don't want to be in the same boat as ASUS, selling known faulty goods...