PDA

View Full Version : G75 Bad Screen Coating (rainbowy on light colors) 3D model

Tcalp
12-14-2012, 08:25 AM
I have just received/purchased a Refurbished G75 from NewEgg, I was very very excited about getting a new higher end laptop and I have to say I'm utterly disappointed, the sound on this thing is awful, a livable sacrifice (can live with this). But the screen I have is awful, it literally bothers my eyes to look at it's so bad. I asked NewEgg tech support and they said that it wasn't defective but a feature of the 3D screen / caused by the anti-glare coating.

I can't imagine any screen being this bad and not being considered outright defective, I own plenty of 'matte' screens and none have rainbow color blotting like this. It's as though I have just wet my screen, wiped it down and it's still 'damp'.

I've been Googling and everyone seems to say that it's a minor problem to an outrage on a higher end laptop. Part of me thinks that it's not actually defective and just the P.O.S screen they opted to use.

Any owners out there that have had this bother them / gone through warranty etc ?

Apexing
12-14-2012, 10:15 AM
how about you show us a picture.
my screen is mat so it does not show any sort of rainbow, only experienced that on gloss screens, which i guess the 3d model is.
if its that big of an issue to you, return it to newegg. then go to a store and look to see if they have a 3d model you can test for the rainbow glare.
you could also just try and wipe it down with a water+vinigar solution, water+soap solution, and dry it of with a lint free cloth. never know if the screen have had **** on it when being refurbised at newegg

Tcalp
12-14-2012, 10:45 AM
See attachment , probably a little bit exaggerated from camera.

Apexing
12-14-2012, 02:57 PM
okay, I can see how that is very annoying :S
sadly I don´t have the 3d version so I cant say if this is normal.
if you can edit the topic title, throw in 3d version. may get more ppl into the thread.

cl-scott
12-14-2012, 05:26 PM
if you can edit the topic title, throw in 3d version. may get more ppl into the thread.

Agreed and I just went ahead and took care of it for the OP.

Skull6
12-14-2012, 07:18 PM
Way to go, Scott!!!

& is "rainbowy" even a word? ;)

P.S. I'm curious--does he have the same bad screen coloration when he switches between 3D & 2D modes?

Tcalp
12-14-2012, 07:55 PM
Okay, I thought I had the 3D screen but maybe I don't ? ....

this is what I bought http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230580

I haven't ordered the nvidia glasses yet, so I haven't tried 3D , or for that matter even playing a video game. The main reason I'll be using this laptop is for work and I'm a programmer, thus staring at black/colored text on white, pretty much all day long (and I do mean long).

Clintlgm
12-14-2012, 08:50 PM
looks like from the spec's it is a 3D model

Tcalp
12-14-2012, 09:16 PM
Okay, well my screen is Matte, not gloss which is I suppose why I was confused by earlier posters

Shawnnepc
12-15-2012, 07:34 AM
Okay, I thought I had the 3D screen but maybe I don't ? ....

this is what I bought http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230580

I haven't ordered the nvidia glasses yet, so I haven't tried 3D , or for that matter even playing a video game. The main reason I'll be using this laptop is for work and I'm a programmer, thus staring at black/colored text on white, pretty much all day long (and I do mean long).

That's not a 3D SKU....

It supports 3D w/ an added on 3D monitor but isn't native 3D with it's current display.

The ASUS 3D SKU's in the US have 3D in the model number ex. G75VW-xxxx-3D

Please note the following stickied thread:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?21507-Clarification-3D-Capable-versus-3D-Ready&country=&status=