PDA

View Full Version : BIOS and customer support (updates)

SubmersedHollow
12-15-2012, 02:11 PM
Hello there fellow ROG g series members

I Would like to make a complaint about all these "new" updates

1. The bios should be upgraded not "downgraded"... 1st day i got pc i was able to make a pretty good stable pc. (no overclocking, just disabling functions like turbo boost/ or make stable multipliers on cpu). i notecied that newer bios are far worse then old one. for once the other ones were i guess "tested before release" and these were not. There were some complaints about "bricked pcs" so i dont rly know what was improved in (for example in bios 222.ver).

Version 222
Description BIOS 222
Change GOP
File Size
3,13 (MBytes) 2012.12.12 update

Most of RoG laptop userers are advanced, and know what they are doing with their pcs. So if u want "us" to help you improve your "updates", then we would like to know what exactly is changed in every BIOS update couse for example in
"BIOS 221" there was a LOT OF CHANGES (for example:

Description BIOS 221
1.Modify ASID.
2.update GOP
File Size
3,2 (MBytes) 2012.11.06 update

-----------
but this is nothing compared to what was actually changed with the update.
1. it boots 20-30% faster
2. bios changes. (changed uefi enable function)
3. u cannot disable turbo boost or anymore (i was able to do it in the old version, i was using intel XTU tool)
4. faster system response (it even detected my wireless card that i was not able to enable it via adapter settings)

but there is alot more that i still dont know about this update.
BIOS is a major update and it should be treated as such.(lot of testing before release)
Some people are without pc now becouse of that.

My sistem
Bios ver. 221
g75vw
i7 3610qm 2.3
8gb ram 1600mhz
gtx 660m 2gb

----
PS: My Opinion is that this is a neglect to customer support.

Updates should be update regulary (at least once per month) and with care (much of testing before release)
---
i Found in forum a site with all updates that were release by a fellow G75vw owner
*banned website*

Hope for the best changes.
Best regards Fellow RoG g75vw user

Fire
12-15-2012, 02:59 PM
just out of curiousity, why would you want to disable Turbo Boost which allows your CPU to run faster on demand? That's slower then.....

please explain

SubmersedHollow
12-15-2012, 03:14 PM
just out of curiousity, why would you want to disable Turbo Boost which allows your CPU to run faster on demand? That's slower then.....

please explain

well the system runs with some strange frequencys.
for example: http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/7/Intel_Core_i7_Mobile_i7-3610QM_vs_Intel_Core_i7_Mobile_i7-3630QM.html
here you can see that 3610qm runs with
3300 / 3200 / 3100 / 3100 and 3630qm runs with stable 3400

if u could change the frequencys with the (for example XTU tool) which allows you to balance the multiplier for each core. you could then put the 3610qm on stable 3.1ghz for each core. (i think it could run smoother for some apps that uses all cores, had not tested it's just a theory)

overall i think that's the was the point that they stoped manufacturing i7 3610qm and started with i7 3630qm.

But for disabling is just for the battery mode and non performance ( i like the pc to be responsive but it exaggerates with the turbo boost for minor apps that dont need much power)

Fire
12-15-2012, 03:26 PM
Do you mean if I disable Turbo Boost Im running @ 3.1 Ghz. 100% of the time rather than dropping to 2.3 then up to 3.1 when needed?

SubmersedHollow
12-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Do you mean if I disable Turbo Boost Im running @ 3.1 Ghz. 100% of the time rather than dropping to 2.3 then up to 3.1 when needed?

no it's 2.3 always, when need more power it goes up to 3.1ghz... it's says on cpuz that it works on 3.1 ghz or any test but instead it's working on 3300 / 3200 / 3100 / 3100 (you were able to see it on XTU but u cant anymore couse the locked it in bios. (like i said if u make stable multipliers) it would normaly run on just 3100/3100/3100/3100 when turbo boosted.

Fire
12-15-2012, 03:40 PM
I don't see a benefit disabling Turbo Boost in this case. I want my CPU to run at the MAX clock so...

wannagofast
12-15-2012, 05:36 PM
The bios gets updated when Asus has something new to add, so that timetable doesn't always coincide with a monthly update. Also the different max clock speeds depend on how many cores are active...3.3=2 cores, 3.2=3 cores, and 3.1 is max speed for when all cores are active.

SubmersedHollow
12-15-2012, 06:05 PM
The bios gets updated when Asus has something new to add, so that timetable doesn't always coincide with a monthly update. Also the different max clock speeds depend on how many cores are active...3.3=2 cores, 3.2=3 cores, and 3.1 is max speed for when all cores are active.

yes you are right...
checked and it's true about XTU for 3.3=1 core, 3.2=2 cores, and 3.1 for all cores (4)

tnx for clearing me out this stuff ^^ but still it's strange xD ok (still good option about the multipliers to make them the same for all cores modes...)

So they should at least says what new things were added to the updated bios, like i said in the start (ver 221) for example.

_
12-16-2012, 01:06 PM
Every single BIOS goes through a full testing and qualification procedure, nothing less, never. It would not make sense to intentionally cause customer problems. Unfortunately you're trying to do things that are not really what the machine was designed for in regards to Turbo Boost.

Unfortunately every BIOS update has a %age of non-updates due to multiple reasons and overall we recommend you resist updating unless you absolutely have to. If the machine works fine already, please just keep using it.

Please note that ********** was banned from these forum for offering 'customized' updated and trying to sell them (I see he still has the donate button on his forum). We don't recommend installing BIOS or other firmware-level functions that don't come from ASUS servers directly.

Updates should be update regulary (at least once per month) and with care (much of testing before release)

With respect, we update when there's something to update and qualification of new drivers or firmware requires takes a lot of work. Updates are ready only when they are fully tested.

GottiBoi55
12-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Every single BIOS goes through a full testing and qualification procedure, nothing less, never. It would not make sense to intentionally cause customer problems. Unfortunately you're trying to do things that are not really what the machine was designed for in regards to Turbo Boost.

Unfortunately every BIOS update has a %age of non-updates due to multiple reasons and overall we recommend you resist updating unless you absolutely have to. If the machine works fine already, please just keep using it.

Please note that ********** was banned from these forum for offering 'customized' updated and trying to sell them (I see he still has the donate button on his forum). We don't recommend installing BIOS or other firmware-level functions that don't come from ASUS servers directly.

With respect, we update when there's something to update and qualification of new drivers or firmware requires takes a lot of work. Updates are ready only when they are fully tested.

Yes, I agree on updating the "BIOS Firmware", I'm still on v210.
Why update if you are not having issues, if it's not broke don't fix it!

SubmersedHollow
12-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Unfortunately every BIOS update has a %age of non-updates due to multiple reasons and overall we recommend you resist updating unless you absolutely have to. If the machine works fine already, please just keep using it.[/I]

I agree with that. But if there is an Bios update the Change log should be more detailed, so people could see if they need an bios update, so they wont just randomly update bios just becouse it is new.

chrsplmr
12-16-2012, 04:52 PM

Agreed. Never 'fix' what is Not 'broke'..

boofsterb
12-16-2012, 05:15 PM
I dont agree on what is not broke dont fix. Its like saying do not progress. All in all it's all just software I personally paid for the hardware in my laptop. If Asus doesnt want to put out quality software then dont use it. same for windows. The same goes for Asus not shipping your OS on disc making it harder for those who like to test out there laptop with different software and settings to revert back to original factory software settins.

I guess the real question is "Will Asus relinquish Windows 8 OS to those who spent a pretty penny on there laptops?". In the past a system restore disc was the norm till we started changing the idea of what is an OS.

13fist
12-16-2012, 06:44 PM
that's just silly to say don't update if you don't need it when, as this thread points out there is NO information indicating if it is needed or not.
Literally, asus is saying here is a new, updated BIOS, don't use it. How is anyone supposed to know if they need it or not with a description like that? What EXACTLY does 222 fix? How EXACTLY would anyone know if they need that fix? Truthfully my G75 has been issue free from day one, does that mean I should not update, ever? That I should miss out on the improved boot times and whatever else is fixed?
FOR REAL?
I would like to request an update that brings back a POST screen. That is something useful.

Clintlgm
12-16-2012, 09:01 PM
2nd on the post screen

_
12-17-2012, 03:13 AM
I dont agree on what is not broke dont fix. Its like saying do not progress. All in all it's all just software I personally paid for the hardware in my laptop. If Asus doesnt want to put out quality software then dont use it. same for windows. The same goes for Asus not shipping your OS on disc making it harder for those who like to test out there laptop with different software and settings to revert back to original factory software settins.

I guess the real question is "Will Asus relinquish Windows 8 OS to those who spent a pretty penny on there laptops?". In the past a system restore disc was the norm till we started changing the idea of what is an OS.

The restore partition is very common in the industry now. It also cuts down on waste for the majority that never need it and restoring from F9 is far more fail-safe, notably faster and an easier process to setup the PC to a factory fresh state with all the drivers installed for most users.

Please use F9 to restore the OS partition.

boofsterb
12-17-2012, 06:07 AM
The restore partition is very common in the industry now. It also cuts down on waste for the majority that never need it and restoring from F9 is far more fail-safe, notably faster and an easier process to setup the PC to a factory fresh state with all the drivers installed for most users.

Please use F9 to restore the OS partition.

I understand how to use F9, but, that was not my point. In "This industry" software is paramount and when you dont have the OS tangibly or digtally then you are limited to the type of drive formatting that might be interesting (linux distros). I just feel like if i dont have the OS to recreate drive image then I am limited to 2 choices. Do i want to get rid of Win 8 to experiment with other software without ever being able to go back even though win8 was included in the price? or should i stay with win 8 and never see the grass on the other side with the option to come back?

This is definitely a conundrum.