PDA

View Full Version : G74 various mouse/keyboard usb 2.0/touchpad issues

AsusG74SX-XN1
12-16-2012, 02:19 AM
The model in question is the one my username is (g74SX-XN1). Of course it starts giving me problems 2 weeks after my warranty expired too.

When mouse and/or keyboard (both USB) are plugged in, my mouse disconnects randomly (with the ding noise telling me hardware has disconnected) and reconnects a second or two later. Occasionally my keyboard and/or mouse will completely stop working, requiring a reboot for it to start working again. Now, after attempting a lot of fixes, my mouse also skips across the screen/lags at times, on top of disconnecting/reconnecting

I uninstalled all my drivers, reinstalled them, made sure power-saving settings were off in Device Manager, shut off Sentelic touchpad (9.1.3.5) in BIOS (which also shuts off the keyboard so when my usb ports stop working then i can't use keyboard or touchpad or usb port connected keyboard/mouse).

Some search results talked about INFCACHE.1 being corrupted/having to replace it but I can't even find it in my inf directory (even with hidden files), and have not found a way to install it on my computer.

Other posts talk about using 9.1.7.7 touchpad but I downloaded it and it won't let me install it.

I really don't want to clean install Windows again and reports online show that that doesn't always fix the problems.

Thoughts?

dstrakele
12-16-2012, 03:12 AM
If I were in your situation, I'd try uninstalling Sentelic 9.1.3.5 from "Control Panel - Uninstall a program", reboot into Safe Mode and install Sentelic 9.1.7.7. It'll allow you to disable the touchpad in the BIOS without disabling the keyboard. 9.1.3.5 allows the touchpad to re-enable, which could be the cause of your problem.

If that fails, you may have uninstalled Sentelic driver remnants causing problems. You'll need to uninstall the Sentelic driver, reboot into Safe Mode and use Driver Sweeper to remove any Sentelic remnants.

Alternatively, since you report USB 2.0 device issues, you could try installing the latest Intel Chipset driver using the -overall switch.

AsusG74SX-XN1
12-16-2012, 05:43 AM
If I were in your situation, I'd try uninstalling Sentelic 9.1.3.5 from "Control Panel - Uninstall a program", reboot into Safe Mode and install Sentelic 9.1.7.7. It'll allow you to disable the touchpad in the BIOS without disabling the keyboard. 9.1.3.5 allows the touchpad to re-enable, which could be the cause of your problem.

If that fails, you may have uninstalled Sentelic driver remnants causing problems. You'll need to uninstall the Sentelic driver, reboot into Safe Mode and use Driver Sweeper to remove any Sentelic remnants.

Alternatively, since you report USB 2.0 device issues, you could try installing the latest Intel Chipset driver using the -overall switch.
Tried both, no fix. Could it be a hardware or a power issue? Though when I plug in my usb flash and an external hard drive both detect andrun without issues.

Don't know if it's a power issue though it happens about 60% of the time in a game and 40% of the time just moving my mouse back and forth in windows

dstrakele
12-16-2012, 06:16 AM
If you think it's a power issue, try enabling "USB Charge" in the BIOS and use the USB 3.0 port for one of your problem devices.

Do your USB keyboard and mouse function normally on another computer?

AsusG74SX-XN1
12-16-2012, 05:00 PM
If you think it's a power issue, try enabling "USB Charge" in the BIOS and use the USB 3.0 port for one of your problem devices.

Do your USB keyboard and mouse function normally on another computer?

Yes I tested on other computers and they worked fine. Also I noticed this morning my touchpad is having the same delay/lag where it freezes and i have to keep swiping it to get it to start moving again.

dstrakele
12-17-2012, 05:30 AM
You do want the touchpad to be disabled when you are using a USB Mouse.

AsusG74SX-XN1
12-17-2012, 05:28 PM
You do want the touchpad to be disabled when you are using a USB Mouse.

Yes, but even whenit is disabled my mouse has the same issues. This has never happened before

cl-scott
12-17-2012, 06:25 PM
Is it a specific set of ports that do this, or does it happen if you plug the device into any USB port?

AsusG74SX-XN1
12-17-2012, 07:22 PM
Is it a specific set of ports that do this, or does it happen if you plug the device into any USB port?

Every port. It also freezes my mouse and keyboard for about 10 seconds when I'm rebooting from sleep mode with a disconnect noise, even though no USB ports are currently plugged in

cl-scott
12-17-2012, 08:19 PM
Okay, so my fault for not asking this before, but if you're in the US I can cap the repair fee at $200 for you on this.

It sounds to me like the motherboard is having issues, and with these kinds of situations, it usually only ends up getting worse with time.

Anyway, if you are in the US and interested in taking me up on my offer, send me a PM or email so I can collect some particulars from you and set up the RMA.