PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my Ram in my G74SX from 8 to 16GB , I have a few questions about Brands etc

Thorn2011
12-16-2012, 06:38 AM
A few questions for you guys as I was thinking of upgrading from 8GB to 16GB or Ram in my Asus G74SX....

Can I mix different Brand Memory Modules as long as they are the same speed, latency etc? According to Astra and Hwinfo, I have 2 X 4GB Samsung 1333mhz modules installed, however my local store doesn't sell Samsung RAM, they have Kingston, Corsair, and a few other brands? I don't want to go and buy the Ram and install it only to find my laptop won't Boot? It isn't the biggest issue in the world because RAM is so dirt cheap here atm, 2 X 4GB 1333mhz Ram Notebook modules cost 24 dollars each so thats 48 bucks! Also what happens to my Duel-Channel mode if I install another 2 Modules, does it stay Duel-channel as long as I don't mix the sizes? I am not sure if I will notice much performance increase but for 48 dollars it can't be any worse?

Thanks again guys!

Pitcher@asus
12-18-2012, 02:22 AM
i think you can mix difference brand memory,

OldNESJunkie
12-18-2012, 03:06 AM
You should have no issues using different brands of memory, but honestly for continuity sake it's better to buy all at the same time to make sure there are no compatibility issues. Just because the RAm is the same speed, latency, etc does not mean it's the same quality. I found that out the hard way, so I personally would go all out and get 4 of the same brand.