PDA

View Full Version : Unknown File System

tb75252
12-16-2012, 10:48 PM
I am using GParted Live 1.14.1-1. I have an ASUS G75VW notebook with 12GB DDR3 memory, a Core i7-3610QM 2.3 GHz CPU, 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M video card, a Blue-ray DVD-RW and a 500GB Seagate SATA HD .

GParted Live shows that my notebook has five partitions. One of them (/dev/sda2) shows "unknown" in the File System column and "msftres" in the Flags column.

Does anyone know what this mysterious partition is for? (I posted the same question on GParted Live forum but so far no answer.) Is this perhaps some sort of partitioning method used in ASUS notebooks only?

Note: Window's 7 Disk Management tool does not seem to be even aware of the mysterious partition... While GParted Live shows that my notebook has a total of five partitions on the HD, Window's 7 Disk Management only shows 4. It lists the EFI System Partition, the C:\ and D:\ partitions and the Recovery partition.

ZeroBarrier
12-16-2012, 11:04 PM
It is most likely the hidden "Factory Restore" partition.

rewben
12-17-2012, 01:27 AM
that's a hidden partition when you have UEFI install. it's normal. disk management GUI hides it, but you still can see it using diskpart (mine is tagged 'reserved', 128mb)

tb75252
12-17-2012, 02:35 AM
that's a hidden partition when you have UEFI install. it's normal. disk management GUI hides it, but you still can see it using diskpart (mine is tagged 'reserved', 128mb)

Thanks for the explanation.

So... what happens if I delete all existing partitions, create and format new ones and then install Linux?
Do I have to have UEFI in order for the BIOS to work correctly?

rewben
12-17-2012, 02:48 AM
So... what happens if I delete all existing partitions, create and format new ones and then install Linux?
Do I have to have UEFI in order for the BIOS to work correctly?

yes, you can wipe the whole disk and install linux. i have installed windows in both uefi and bios modes. linux should be fine, too. note that you need MBR disk for BIOS mode install, and GPT disk for UEFI.

here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI) is about ubuntu with uefi.