PDA

View Full Version : Got my G75VW on Friday, have some questions

Dainslaif
12-17-2012, 06:04 PM
Howdy! I'm a long time computer owner, first time ROG user. I love the machine so far, but had some questions.

I've installed a second hard drive that I'd like to use as the primary. I've been racking my brains trying to get it to boot off my USB drive so I could use a utility to directly copy the drive over, but it simply won't start into any I own. I've also tried using some utilities that try to boot into themselves to copy the drive, but it actually hard crashed the system when it rebooted. Is it even possible to boot into any USB based utilities to copy the drive, or am I better off pulling the drives and copying them with another computer? I did disable the safe boot option in the BIOS before trying this.

Also, I noticed that the machine doesn't come with any recovery discs, which kinda sucks, so I want to make a set that will cover me in the case of catastrophic HDD failure. I've read in a couple places about the AI Recovery tool - my Win8 equipped G75VW doesn't seem to have that utility installed and it's not in the Downloads->Utilities section of Windows 8 for my laptop, but I can use the Windows 8 utility to make a copy of the recovery partition onto a USB drive. If this does what I want I'll just zip the files and throw them on DVDs for permanent storage - would the recovery partition allow me to fully reinstall the system onto a blank drive?

Thanks.

cl-scott
12-17-2012, 06:19 PM
Just on the recovery media thing... Right now we're still trying to work out a solution that will work with some of the under the hood changes Microsoft made with Windows 8. So, presently there's a built-in recovery process for Windows 8 which you can use, and hopefully soon we'll have something in place for Windows 8.

Dainslaif
12-17-2012, 06:26 PM
That's understandable considering how new Win8 is. Does that mean if I reinstalled with the recovery partition it would be a base Windows install without the ASUS utilities and drivers?

Edit: I've done some testing and come up with something pretty bad - I put a Windows 8 recovery drive on my USB key, and the laptop refuses to boot off that as well. At this point I'm completely boned if my OS gets corrupted. Any idea how to get booting off removable media to work?

john_from_ohio
12-17-2012, 09:26 PM
Edit: I've done some testing and come up with something pretty bad - I put a Windows 8 recovery drive on my USB key, and the laptop refuses to boot off that as well. At this point I'm completely boned if my OS gets corrupted. Any idea how to get booting off removable media to work?

Don't you have to go into BIOS on reboot ( depending on BIOS version ) and change something for some of the most recent G75's out there?

Dainslaif
12-17-2012, 09:45 PM
I saw a "secure boot" option and disabled that before I started working on it, but I'm not sure if that's what you're referring to.

EDIT: I got thumb drive booting to work by going into the BIOS and selecting the "launch CSM" option on the boot menu. This seems to let the system use legacy booters properly instead of forcing UEFI.

_
12-18-2012, 01:45 AM
I've not tried it with Win 8 but does the latest Achronis work? Everytime I've needed to clone a drive I've used that and it's worked perfectly in Win 7. It's paid for software (and not USB), but a good investment if you're in a pinch with a dying drive in future. ;)

Dainslaif
12-18-2012, 02:24 AM
I haven't tried Acronis yet since it's not free. I'm planning on just pulling both drives tonight, plugging them into my desktop and copying it over that way with DriveImage XML or EaseUS, which worked for me in my old computer. My old PC is Win7 so it should work fine, I just didn't want to go through the hassle of pulling both drives and hooking them to my PC if I didn't have to (on my old PC EaseUS booted into itself to do a full copy of the OS drive, but it BSOD'd when it tried on the laptop). Since I can't even boot the system into anything other than the OS on the main drive, I've got no choice. ><

Edit - I got home and tested with some CDs, thankfully, Windows 8 boots up just fine into its own recovery CDs, so that takes a huge load off my mind.

Clintlgm
12-18-2012, 04:22 AM
I Would verify any cloning program is compatible with win 8 there's some different things with win 8, You might want to try finding a copy of Win 8 and doing a clean install seems win 8 cd key is burned in to our MB or bios somewhere?

Dainslaif
12-18-2012, 04:58 AM
Aye, DriveImage XML, Macrium Reflect and EaseUS are all supposed to be compatible with Windows 8. Of course, everyone's going to claim that to sell units, so I'm going to test until it copies over all the partitions properly (including the hidden restore ones) and boots smoothly into windows. At that point I'll probably remove all the games, create a new image to store on DVDs, wipe the old drive completely and install the hybrid drive as the main boot disc.

I have no idea where the CD key is. I thought it was on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop or something along those lines?

Dainslaif
12-18-2012, 10:12 AM
The process went very smoothly thanks to Macrium Reflect, not counting the first copy where I forgot to resize the OS partition on the new drive, haha. I ended up wiping the drive with Windows DISKPART and redoing it, making sure to resize the partition properly the second time around. It booted up and ran software just fine so I'm in the middle of making the disc image right now (only 25 GB!), will then format the old drive's OS partition and use it as storage. I still wish there were an option where I didn't have to pull the entire drive to copy it, but thankfully the laptop was designed so well it really wasn't that big of a pain, and realistically I shouldn't have to worry about doing it again soon anyways.

Can't wait to spend some quality time with this beast next weekend! I'm surprised that it runs games as well as it does. It actually keeps up with the gaming rig I built last year for a similar amount of money. :D

Edit: Fun fact (that I never knew as I've never had a restoration drive before) - if your OS gets wiped from the main drive and you try to boot from it, it'll automatically kick into Windows Restore. Found that out the hard way since I hadn't gone into the BIOS to change the drive boot order when I first turned it back on, haha.

dcisive
12-18-2012, 02:57 PM
I just dispensed with all of that and picked up a small external 1tb Seagate backup hard drive which runs on USB3 (lightning fast if I do say so). I hhave been using the newly released FREE version of Macrium Reflect for Windows 8. Works GREAT! Fast and concise as well. Shows the partitions and you check which one's you want it to image. The recovery disc is in either PE or Linux format whichever you choose. Now I won't worry and know I can easily restore the system to EXACTLY what I want and it won't be missing anything. So I image my C drive complete so there's no loopholes. I turned the Windows recovery system OFF which also preserves some disc space and off's the system resource drag as well.

Dainslaif
12-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Aye, Macrium Reflect Free is what I used, glad it worked for you as well! I would highly recommend it to any other Windows 8 users out there who want to back up an image of their computer. :-)