PDA

View Full Version : Weird problem of G73jh hibernating for no reason

pnikkosis
06-15-2011, 01:14 AM
Hi, I've started having this weird problem 2 or 3 weeks ago; I don't know if it's related to, but it started happening a week or so after I removed the silver stuff from the touchpad as explained in the sticky to solve the touchpad problems.
That worked like a charm, never had a touchpad problem again. But now, whenever the laptop it's with the battery on (even if it's plugged in to the AC) after a while it goes into hibernate.
When I touch the laptop it feels a bit warm... but not warmer than before or all the previous months that I used it.
If I take off the battery... then it doesn't seem to hibernate ever. I let it on with only the AC connected and no battery for a whole 24h period and never suspended, hibernated or anything.
I use Win7 and all those energy saving options are disabled.
So I don't know, can this be caused by the silver tape I removed from behind the touchpad? or is it temperature? Is there anyway I can check for further info on what could be causing this? like a windows log saying why it automatically hibernates?

Chastity@ASUS
06-15-2011, 04:58 AM
You can try disabling hibernation to see if the problem goes away. Open up a Command Prompt with elevated Admin access, and enter:

"powercfg -h off"

If it continues, then perhaps it is the overheat protection kicking in. When it shuts down, and you turn it back on, does it say "Resuming Windows" on startup? Reason I ask is that thermal shutdown just shuts it down, and you shouldn't see that message.

pnikkosis
06-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Yep, it says resuming. That's what I think it's something relating hibernation and not a thermal problem.
Although after posting here I started reading about normal temperatures in the GPU and I'm well above what you consider being correct. 75C on idle. Nevertheless I never had a thermal shutdown.
I'll try disabling the hibernation and see what happens. I'm still gonna repaste both GPU and CPU whenever I get a good paste (not easy to find in my country). Just in case.

Wuzseen
06-15-2011, 09:41 PM
pnikkosis,

I am getting those same temps and I used to have this issue. It just mysteriously stopped happening one day. Granted, I now have another interesting issue with freezing--any chance you've experienced that?

pnikkosis
06-15-2011, 11:39 PM
Nop, no freezing. At least not now.
I turned hibernation off from the cmd as suggested and left the laptop for about 5 hours; plugged to the AC with the battery on (fully charged), when I came back home the laptop was suspended.
So... I'm guessing this is some weird windows problem. I have all the settings on power management which can cause an automatic suspention turned off. I do have that useless power4gear thing from asus installed... and I think there's the problem, I've been trying to unninstall it ever since I first installed it but can't find a way; there's no application, no service, no nothing. I even tried Revo Unninstaler on Hunter Mode (where you click a window and it lauches that application's unnistaller) but it can't find it.

Nevertheless windows shouldn't suspend or hibernate the laptop if it's plugged. Cause this happens when the battery is on, if I remove it and leave the laptop plugged then it never turns off.