PDA

View Full Version : Launching Game Maxes out Brightness

dbrisingr
12-19-2012, 12:21 AM
Hey guys new user here (be lenient ^^).

As the title says, everytime I launch a game the laptop just maxes out the brightness, no matter what I do.
I tried adjusting NVidia settings (allow nvidia to control, don't allow application to control).
An interesting thing is if the game is windowed, there is no 'maxing out'. It's only when the game is launched full - screen.
Even if I alt-tab and set down the brightness, when I alt-tab back, I get max brightness again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

EDIT: This is G55VW.

Zygomorphic
12-19-2012, 01:29 AM
It is possible that the game is doing it. Try looking for brightness settings in the game's settings and see what can be changed. Oh, and welcome to the forum! :)

Silverkid
12-19-2012, 01:54 AM
I have the same problem and I noticed this happens only with DX11 games.

Pitcher@asus
12-19-2012, 02:08 AM
hi, if play other games happen or not? is game name maxes?

colpolite
12-19-2012, 02:26 AM
This is the issue I had with my g55 that I had and already returned back in September. It is called the force brightness maximum issue. It also forces the brightness to 100% when you log off for a few sec then back to user preferred brightness. Me and Cman tried to find a solution for months but to no avail.

dbrisingr
12-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

To the first reply, there are some games that does not have a brightness setting (ie Metro 2033).
Some games I play (eg Starcraft II, Dota 2, FEAR) maxes brightness the first time I launch it, but after this launching the games will have normal brightness.

Is there no way to fix this? I think it also has to do with a game not having a brightness setting. Or like Silverkid said, games with DX11.

:(

kambanka
12-19-2012, 11:22 AM
It's not games only. With me it happens when opening ASUS Smart Gesture, too. See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?26776-G55-Was-it-a-mistake-(Or-why-Asus-has-no-idea-what-they-do)&p=200391&viewfull=1#post200391

dbrisingr
12-19-2012, 11:41 AM
:O

So apparently a lot of users are having trouble with the exact same thing, and no solutions have been found so far?
Maybe update BIOS?

TT

kambanka
12-19-2012, 12:00 PM
I already did update. Nothing.

Shawnnepc
12-19-2012, 02:39 PM
Did you try removing the NVIDIA 3D driver? Lightboost will cause the same thing to occur

kambanka
12-19-2012, 03:23 PM
On my second clean Windows 8 install I opted out of the 3D driver, because on the Preview version that I had it was complaining about some configuration, so there is no 3D driver :(

Did you try removing the NVIDIA 3D driver? Lightboost will cause the same thing to occur

dbrisingr
12-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Ok just to update, this may not help at all but...

The games that DOES cause this problem are:
Red Faction: Armageddon
Metro 2033
Saints Row: The Third

The games that DOES NOT cause this problem are:
DotA 2
StarCraft II
Skyrim

This is very frustrating, as I can't even alt-tab to check game guides without getting flash banged by my own laptop...

colpolite
12-19-2012, 04:34 PM
When i had the G55 the games that caused it and didn't below

forced brightness
- WoW
- Crysis

normal
- CS GO
- Diablo 3

Also forced brightness happens on 3dmark benchmarks and when logging off at windows start up welcome

This is really annoying because when it forces brightness to 100% and you readjust it back to lower brghtness, once u tab out or tab in, it goes back to 100% brightness like it has a mind of its own and it is really annoying and it hurts the eyes.

My thread about it back in September about this Horror issue. http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25338-Urgent-Question-for-G75-G55-Owners-regarding-brightness-issue

WontonNoodle
12-19-2012, 07:56 PM
No, it forces brightness whenever the resolution of the game is NOT at native resolution of your laptop monitor OR your external monitor. It does the max brightness things on ALL games/videos as long as it's not running at native resolution. Hope this clears things up for Asus to fix.

colpolite
12-19-2012, 07:58 PM
@Wonton

My former G55 forces the brightness to 100% like it has a mind of its own regardless of resolution. Tested this thoroughly back then with c_man.
It even forces it to 100% brightness whenever you log off or at the windows welcome screen b4 loading desktop and when running benchmarks.

WontonNoodle
12-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Yes because benchmarks change the resolution. Whenever there is a change in resolution or refresh rate detected, it goes to full brightness.

WontonNoodle
12-19-2012, 08:45 PM
When i had the G55 the games that caused it and didn't below

forced brightness
- WoW
- Crysis

normal
- CS GO
- Diablo 3

Also forced brightness happens on 3dmark benchmarks and when logging off at windows start up welcome

This is really annoying because when it forces brightness to 100% and you readjust it back to lower brghtness, once u tab out or tab in, it goes back to 100% brightness like it has a mind of its own and it is really annoying and it hurts the eyes.

My thread about it back in September about this Horror issue. http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25338-Urgent-Question-for-G75-G55-Owners-regarding-brightness-issue

at what resolutions are each of the games at?

colpolite
12-19-2012, 08:59 PM
at what resolutions are each of the games at?

I don't play any game but native res. I have the G55 and G75 and M14x and only the G55 that does it. It did it with the preinstalled OS and even after fresh clean installing it.

This is an issue with Asus G55 and it has no fix.

kambanka
01-14-2013, 10:42 PM
Fixed with latest NVidia Drivers 310.90 from their site :D