PDA

View Full Version : 2 SSD'S In RAID 0?

siddique305
12-19-2012, 05:57 PM
Hey Guys. Been A Long Time Since I Logged In! :). Anyway Good To Be Back. My Question Is Can I Install Two SSD's In RAID 0 On The G75? If So Please Tell Me STEP BY STEP Instructions! And Is The Perfomance Difference Between RAID 0 And 1 Like Knight And Day? Ohh... And The SSDS I'm Planning To Buy Are Ocz Vertex 4!
Thanks In Advance!

Siddique

mrwolf
12-19-2012, 07:23 PM
Hey sid, nice to have you back lol..

I dont believe there is thaaat big of a difference if you set up RAID 0 with two SSD's but it should increase your read/write speeds.. Having one SSD alone as your main OS drive makes such a massive difference and give huge performance boosts, that i think you wont notice any higher speeds with RAID 0. But im sure someone who has already tried it can answer better..

Personally it makes more sense for me to have 1 SSD as the main boot drive for intensive games and then have the 1TB HDD for memory, movies, media and some games too..

The vertex 4 is the best choice ! :) ive got the 256GB version and it is fasssst as lightning. Check out this article - http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/storage/best-ssd-10-of-the-top-ssds-on-test-994095

Vertex 4 is the best one out there right now :cool:

ggBanks
12-19-2012, 07:24 PM
Yes it id possible on the G75!
The difference between the two setups:

RAID 0:
SSD 1 = 120GB
SSD 2 = 120GB
Total = 240GB
Speed = 2x
If one of the SSDs gets damaged or crashes you loose information on both SSDs, because the information is stored in such a way that one half of a file goes to the first SSD and the other half to the second.

RAID 1:
SSD 1 = 120GB
SSD 2 = 120GB
Total = 120GB
Speed = 1x
This seems like you are loosing 120GB of solid state storage, but the benefit of this setup is that whatever goes to the first SSD is automatically mirrored to the second one, meaning that if one of the SSDs fail the other one will still have your full information intact!

RAID 1 does NOT work on the G55 or the G75!

The SSDs you have chosen are good! I cannot walk you through it step by step though, because I have never tried to do such setups. The only thing I know is that it is done from the BIOS of the laptop. For more info. please turn to Google, or await another response. Cheers mate :)

Pitcher@asus
12-20-2012, 01:57 AM
Yep, if you set RAID, it is only read/write more fast, i think it is not more difference, but you will be loosing data by RAID when your HDD is broke or damage.

siddique305
12-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Hey sid, nice to have you back lol..

I dont believe there is thaaat big of a difference if you set up RAID 0 with two SSD's but it should increase your read/write speeds.. Having one SSD alone as your main OS drive makes such a massive difference and give huge performance boosts, that i think you wont notice any higher speeds with RAID 0. But im sure someone who has already tried it can answer better..

Hahaha...Lol Bro! Thanks For The Info And What Do You Think About Corsair Neutron? Corsair Says That It is The Best SSD They Have Ever Made> :)
Personally it makes more sense for me to have 1 SSD as the main boot drive for intensive games and then have the 1TB HDD for memory, movies, media and some games too..

The vertex 4 is the best choice ! :) ive got the 256GB version and it is fasssst as lightning. Check out this article - http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/storage/best-ssd-10-of-the-top-ssds-on-test-994095

Vertex 4 is the best one out there right now :cool:

Hahaha...Lol Bro! Thanks For The Info And What Do You Think About Corsair Neutron? Corsair Says That It is The Best SSD They Have Ever Made. :). And Gave Planet Side 2 A Try... Quiet Hard To Get The Hang Of It. :)

siddique305
12-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Yep, if you set RAID, it is only read/write more fast, i think it is not more difference, but you will be loosing data by RAID when your HDD is broke or damage.

Hey, I Have Seen Some People Doing Benchmarks In RAID 0 (SSD's), And Their Scores Are 900mb/s Write And 1000mb/s Read..All I Care Is About Speed! Have An External Drive For All Movies, Pictures And All The Good Stuff! Will Be Only Playing 2-3 Games At A Time. When I Finish Those Games Ill Delete Them And Install A New One.

siddique305
12-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Yes it id possible on the G75!
The difference between the two setups:

RAID 0:
SSD 1 = 120GB
SSD 2 = 120GB
Total = 240GB
Speed = 2x
If one of the SSDs gets damaged or crashes you loose information on both SSDs, because the information is stored in such a way that one half of a file goes to the first SSD and the other half to the second.

RAID 1:
SSD 1 = 120GB
SSD 2 = 120GB
Total = 120GB
Speed = 1x
This seems like you are loosing 120GB of solid state storage, but the benefit of this setup is that whatever goes to the first SSD is automatically mirrored to the second one, meaning that if one of the SSDs fail the other one will still have your full information intact!

RAID 1 does NOT work on the G55 or the G75!

The SSDs you have chosen are good! I cannot walk you through it step by step though, because I have never tried to do such setups. The only thing I know is that it is done from the BIOS of the laptop. For more info. please turn to Google, or await another response. Cheers mate :)

Thanks Alot Mate Your Information Helped Me Alot.....Thanks.

mrwolf
12-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Haha your welcome..

Nice the corsair neutron looks really good man. Just googled it and found alot of articles saying it out-paces most of the current SSD's including the top one OCZ Vertex 4. But i have never tried it in a G75 and since its new i dont think anyone else has. Just make sure you install with care and have the latest firmware on the SSD before installing windows onto it and making it the Primary boot SSD.

Ah cool, how did you find it ..? Its very confusing and hard at first i know, everyone seems to be put off by its complexity and difficulty but you will get used to it. And once you get the hang of it, its all that much more rewarding owning people online :) Just make sure you join a big co-ordinated Outfit with people you get along with. Makes it 100000x better lol You cannot play it like you play BF3 or COD. Heres a vid that shows how its meant to be played - some random NC outfit, cool video tho..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CNhwvzq_EBw