View Full Version : Drivers

Bonitin
12-20-2012, 12:48 AM
Hey,
I just purchased a G75VW through work.
It has intel i73610QM
12 GB ram
nVidia 670M 3GB
and the wireless card and so on on so forth.

MY question is how can I tell what drivers I will need to run barebones with my operating system (Win 7 Home premium 64)
Right now I have a 500GB 7200 RPM Drive BUT am going to buy a 512GB SSD to replace it and have that to run my OS and EVERYTHING and I want to make sure I have a clean install and only the drivers for things like
Keyboard
Audio
Video
Mouse pad
Chip set
Bios
Wireless card, ect.

I want it to be like if I build a desktop from the ground up except in my new laptop.

Thanks!

Bonitin signing out!

Bonitin
12-20-2012, 06:02 AM
Hey there!,
What I want to do is replace the stock 500 GB hdd with a 512 Gb SSD.
Current specs are as follows
G75vw
I7 3610qm
12 gb ram
Nvidia 670m 3gb
What I want to know is if I can figure out exactly which drivers I need to run it like I would with a complete clean install on a DIY desktop. So drivers for only the screen
Touchpad
Bluetooth
Video
Audio
Bios
Chipset
Keyboard, so on so forth.
My OS and all my data would be store on the one drive. It has everything I want other than an ssd. But I would prefer to run just the ssd and not to raid or link 2 drives.

So if anyone know the best way to go about this or if anyone has and any input would be appreciated. Also if anyone know how to figure out te EXACT driver I would need for everything. (I want to avoi ALL bloatware). That would be helpful. I'm thinking ill buy a USB drive to put all drivers on then when I start over on my new ssd ill have everything I need once I do my clean OS install

Thanks!

rewben
12-20-2012, 02:19 PM
hi Bonitin, you should get at least the following:
1. Chipset - Intel INF Update Driver
2. Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver
3. Intel Management Engine Interface
4. USB - Intel USB3.0 Driver
5. VGA - nVidia Graphics Driver; you can get the latest from geforce.com (choose the notebook version, not those for the desktop)
6. Audio - Via Audio Driver
7. LAN - Atheros LAN Driver
8. Wireless - Atheros or Intel WiFi Wireless LAN Driver, depending on what you have (check your device manager)
9. Card Reader - Alcor Multi-Card Reader Driver
10. TouchPad - Synaptics Touchpad driver
11. BlueTooth - Atheros or Intel BlueTooth driver, depending on what you have
12. ATK ACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities - for fn keys to work; install this so that you can install other ASUS utilities listed below

some useful utilities are the following:
13. ASUS Virtual Camera Utility
14. Keyboard Device Filter Utility
15. Gaming Mouse Driver - if you have a ROG gaming mouse that comes with the bundle
16. ASUS Wireless Switch (Wireless Console3) Utility
17. ASUS USB Charger Plus
18. Power4Gear Hybrid Utility

here's a walk-through (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25835-G75.-How-to-install-SSD-and-Win7-on-it&p=190820&viewfull=1#post190820) on a fresh install.

kambanka
12-20-2012, 02:42 PM
Small note - there is no USB 3 driver for Windows 8.

rewben
12-20-2012, 02:55 PM
oh, yes you're right, kambanka; i assume he's going to have a w7 fresh install, based on his specs (which is preloaded with w7hp). those preloaded with w8 should have intel 3630qm.

edit: for w8, i installed a limited set of drivers only:
1. Chipset - Intel INF Update Driver
2. Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver
3. VGA - nVidia Graphics Driver
4. Audio - Via Audio Driver
5. LAN - Atheros LAN Driver
6. Wireless - Atheros WiFi
7. Card Reader - Alcor Multi-Card Reader Driver
8. TouchPad - Elantech Touchpad driver
9. ATK ACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities

what i need are all working fine.

Bonitin
12-20-2012, 08:27 PM
Awesome, thank you. And I'm not worried about Win 8, I'm keeping Win 7.

Pitcher@asus
12-21-2012, 01:53 AM
you also are abel to visit ASUS support site to download all drivers and utility without USB if Win 8 OS.

GottiBoi55
12-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Small note - there is no USB 3 driver for Windows 8.

Hey "small note".....He's doing a Win 7 fresh install!

falah80
12-23-2012, 01:01 AM
Hi Rewben,

Just to run by you, since your rig is running fine.
I have 2 problem running on the Asus G55VW-IX044V, MS Windows 8 Pro.
1) Keyboard Back Light is not lighting up. Only during boot up it lights up.
2) Function Keys (FN) does not work at all, not even brightness.

I did shoot an email to Asus Support back in Nov-2012, but no reply.
Ironically, I've just submitted again the email thru the Asus Support Portal.
I've trie all the latest BIOS, ATK, KB Filters, u name it, nothing works.
I've updated the ATK driver to the v1.0.0023.
BIOS version is 217.
The keyboard device filter version is v1.0.0.5.

Appreciate your advice on it.

kateean2
12-23-2012, 02:47 AM
Good thread, I always like them.
http://www.booksstore.info/eword/cute.jpg
http://www.booksstore.info/polo/fun.jpg

rewben
12-23-2012, 04:30 AM
Hi Rewben,

Just to run by you, since your rig is running fine.
I have 2 problem running on the Asus G55VW-IX044V, MS Windows 8 Pro.
1) Keyboard Back Light is not lighting up. Only during boot up it lights up.
2) Function Keys (FN) does not work at all, not even brightness.

I did shoot an email to Asus Support back in Nov-2012, but no reply.
Ironically, I've just submitted again the email thru the Asus Support Portal.
I've trie all the latest BIOS, ATK, KB Filters, u name it, nothing works.
I've updated the ATK driver to the v1.0.0023.
BIOS version is 217.
The keyboard device filter version is v1.0.0.5.

Appreciate your advice on it.

hi falah80,

i am running fresh install of w7 and w8; and have the same version of drivers as you do (but only limited to the above).

1) i am really not sure how i have the keyboard backlight fixed. but it might be related to bios.

previously i did have a problem where the keyboard backlight would not turn on when i woke the laptop up from sleep. however, i am not sure that's how i fixed this: when the bios 214 was out, i upgraded to it and got a frozen power button (same as 217). i had no choice but to revert to 209. and i did it several times since i wanted to confirm that 214 and up did not work for me.

then, suddenly the keyboard backlight was back to normal.

2) the fn keys work fine for me both in w7 and w8; for w8 there were no overlay indicators to tell me if the functions are enabled or not.

when i flash my bios, i always load the defaults; then i double checked the bios settings (usually there is nothing much to change; just verify the boot orders and bbs priorities).

falah80
12-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Thanks Rewben,

It seems that I would have to do fresh install of Windows 8, since previously I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8.

How about to downgrade the BIOS to 206? I tried the "Control + Home" combo, but it didn't power up.
Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

rewben
12-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Thanks Rewben,

It seems that I would have to do fresh install of Windows 8, since previously I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8.

How about to downgrade the BIOS to 206? I tried the "Control + Home" combo, but it didn't power up.
Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

yeah, from what i see, a fresh install has fewer issues than the stock one. good luck.

206 was my stock bios. to use the control+home combo, make sure the bios you wanna flash to is in c: (i.e. c:\G55VW.BIN) ; your battery is installed, power is plugged in; then turn your laptop off; finally press left ctrl and home keys simultaneously, and power up the laptop. when you see the easyflash screen you can let go the keys. i use this way to do flash restore, works everytime.