PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 Automatic Repair Loop (G75)

Hannzo24
12-20-2012, 04:36 PM
Hey all...I have got the dreaded windows 8 automatic repair loop on my G75. I've upgraded from windows 7 to windows 8 a few weeks ago and have had no problems until now. Now I can't boot my pc at all. It just gets stuck saying automatic repair and loops around to this over and over. I've let it go for hours with no luck. I've done some research and there doesn't seem to be an easy fix outside of just reinstalling OS.

So I'm thinking I want to go back to windows 7 until they release some service packs for windows 8. I've downloaded a windows 7 ISO that seems to be working fine on other PCs. But when I try to boot from disc on my G75 it hangs after the progress window that says preparing windows files. Do I need to adjust some bios settings to get this to work? I'm at a lost, I've been trying to get this fixed for a few days now with absolutely no luck.

rewben
12-21-2012, 01:51 AM
what's your model? (g75vw/x-yyyy) ?

what's your bios version?

if you goto your bios do you see these options? check the ASUS's FAQ page (http://support.asus.com/repair.aspx?no=605&SLanguage=en) on 'How do I boot to DOS with USB Flash drive or USB CD-ROM?'

- Enter the BIOS setup menu by pressing and holding F2 key when powering on.
- Switch to "Boot" and set “Launch CSM” to Enabled.
- Switch to "Security" and set "Secure Boot Control" to Disabled.
- Press F10 to save and exit.
- Press and hold ESC key to lunch boot menu when the notebook restarts.

edit: you have not convert your GPT disk to MBR yet, have you? if that's the case, w7 installation disk might be the issue because it might have issues with UEFI/GPT. a better option is to create a w7 usb bootable stick (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?26505-Help!-I-am-an-idiot&p=198032&viewfull=1#post198032).

Pitcher@asus
12-21-2012, 02:00 AM
hi, you mean you can not into OS now?
Could you are able to press F9 to recover back to Win 7,
or you try do factory reset in Win 8, Abnormal shutdown three time, i think you can get manual.
if you can into OS please download http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=110&m=ASUS%20Recovery&os=36&ft=14&f_name=ASUSRecovery_Win8_64_Z103.zip#ASUSRecovery_ Win8_64_Z103.zip to recover back to Win 7.

Hannzo24
12-21-2012, 02:45 AM
No I can't get into OS at all. I've updated my bios tonight to version 222. Still no luck on windows 7 or windows 8 discs.

rewben, I don't see any option in my bios to toggle Launch CSM. There is a Launch PXE OpROM however. I also don't see an option for secure boot option.

rewben
12-21-2012, 05:45 AM
please try to create the w7 installation usb based on my previous post. press esc key during post and choose uefi:<usb.drive>.

Hannzo24
12-25-2012, 12:44 AM
Ok I finally got a usb install to start...but now I can't install windoes to my hard drive. All partitions say cannot be installed. It says the selected disk of the GPT partition style.

Hannzo24
12-25-2012, 12:55 AM
BTW here are my partitions:

Disk 0 Partition 1: SYSTEM --- 200.0 mb size --- 166.0 mb free space ---- type: system
Disk 0 Partition 2 --- 128.0 mb size --- 128.0 mb free space ---- type: MSR (Reserved)
Disk 0 Partition 3 --- 279.5 gb size --- 279.4 mb free space ---- type: Primary
Disk 0 Partition 4 --- 394.4 gb size --- 394.3 gb free space ---- type: Primary
Disk 0 Partition 5 --- 24.4 gb size --- 24.3 gb free space ---- type: OEM (Reserved)

rewben
12-25-2012, 04:47 AM
Hannzo24, if you followed the steps (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?26505-Help!-I-am-an-idiot&p=198032&viewfull=1#post198032) in my previous post, you should be able to create a usb bootable stick that is capable of doing UEFI install.

which version of w7 did you use? is it a w7 with sp1?

jtsonphone
12-25-2012, 08:06 AM
yeah.try to create the w7 installation usb based on my previous post. press esc key during post and choose uefi:http://www.4948.info/xinjiechi/images/yeahok

Hannzo24
12-25-2012, 02:15 PM
Yes i made the windows 7 USB just like you said in the link. I used windows 7 SP1.

rewben
12-25-2012, 03:40 PM
looked like your w7 install usb stick is not uefi/gpt-aware.
1. FAT32 formatted usb stick;
2. set up x:\efi\boot\bootx64.efi (assuming your usb stick is x:\ );

i just did a test using my w7 install usb stick created in the same way (when ROG logo screen appeared, i pressed the esc key to get to the uefi:<my.usb.stick>), and it worked on my GPT disk, and the partition that my previous OS installation was located was selected by default.

Spydyr
12-25-2012, 07:18 PM
rewben, correct me if I am wrong but can windows 7 be installed on GPT disk?

rewben
12-26-2012, 01:21 AM
Spydyr, yes you can (we have stock windows 7 in UEFI mode). normal installation DVDs (burnt from default untouched ISOs) cannot do that out-of-box because the lack of essential UEFI bootloader (i.e. x:\efi\boot\bootx64.efi, assuming your ODD is x:\ and you go for 64bit install).

however, you can do that with a usb stick, and the steps to create a installation usb that's UEFI-aware is rather simple.

Spydyr
12-26-2012, 02:22 AM
okay I just wanted to make sure because I have heard that you can then you can't. I was just looking for clarification.

rewben
12-26-2012, 03:01 AM
yeah that.. a few months ago UEFI install was still a mystery to most of us. for some earlier versions of vw, UEFI wasn't really that necessary. we do not have options like Secure Boot.

to me, the Secure Boot feature is a selling point to some consumers; but using that to create a total lock-down to a single OS by default is the lousiest move :/ i for one will never go for this kind of craps.

Hannzo24
12-28-2012, 01:29 PM
Finally got it to work rewben. I think I wasn't setting up my usb stick correctly before. Anyway, thanks a ton for the info and quick replies...now off to download my steam library. >>

Actually one other question....I'm thinking of grabbing a SSD to install my OS to since I would be at a good point to do so. Do I still need to use the UEFI Install USB that I made?

rewben
12-28-2012, 01:34 PM
it's good to know that and i'm glad i could help, Hannzo24. have a good weekend :)

rewben
12-28-2012, 01:50 PM
Finally got it to work rewben. I think I wasn't setting up my usb stick correctly before. Anyway, thanks a ton for the info and quick replies...now off to download my steam library. >>

Actually one other question....I'm thinking of grabbing a SSD to install my OS to since I would be at a good point to do so. Do I still need to use the UEFI Install USB that I made?

UEFI or BIOS install is just a matter of choice. both work for our machines; so it's actually up to you :)

our machines is set up with UEFI install by default (bios options, GPT disk type); i was trying to avoid modifying these default settings, so that you just need to create the windows install usb, and proceed to install the OS directly.

Hannzo24
12-30-2012, 02:02 AM
UEFI or BIOS install is just a matter of choice. both work for our machines; so it's actually up to you :)

our machines is set up with UEFI install by default (bios options, GPT disk type); i was trying to avoid modifying these default settings, so that you just need to create the windows install usb, and proceed to install the OS directly.

ok so i have windows 7 up and running on my factory hard drive...now im wanting to redo it all on a ssd. I installed the SSD but now it's saying i can't install on that with the same USB stick. Do i need to unplug or wipe out my factory hard drive to get it to install on the SSD?

rewben
12-30-2012, 03:52 AM
1. is the SSD used before?
2. what was the error exactly?

to avoid potential conflicts and mistakes, it is better do a fresh install with a single disk.