PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G74SX-BBK7 HDMI Question...

Elvis087
12-21-2012, 02:18 AM
I have a quick question, I own a Asus G74SX-BBK7(I know its the gimped one) and I was wondering if I connect it to my Yamaha 5.1 sound receiver, will the sound be output as 5.1?

If I connect it to my TV over hdmi it only does stereo but I just bought this receiver and I'm wondering if the above would work?

Thank you everyone.

_
12-21-2012, 02:41 AM
Depends what audio format is contained in the source file,
Depends if your playback software pass-thru's sound without changing the format,
Depends if your receiver upmixes Stereo to 5.1 over HDMI (usually Dolby/DTS standards).
Depends what speakers your TV? Most TVs have only two.

Elvis087
12-21-2012, 02:54 AM
Depends what audio format is contained in the source file,
Depends if your playback software pass-thru's sound without changing the format,
Depends if your receiver upmixes Stereo to 5.1 over HDMI (usually Dolby/DTS standards).
Depends what speakers your TV? Most TVs have only two.

Well It would be for games mainly for example Borderlands 2 and Hitman Absolution, It would be connected to this receiver http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hometheater-systems/home-theater-package/yht-397/?mode=model not to the TV directly.

I just want to know before I spend money on an HDMI cable long enough to get to the receiver, I want to game with surround sound as TV stereo doesn't cut it for me :) Thank you.

Zygomorphic
12-21-2012, 11:22 AM
You can output sound on the external sound-port (headphone jack) while using HDMI to your TV. I don't believe the sound-card (Intel High-definition Audio) is 5.1 capable, so you may want to invest in a USB soundcard that is 5.1 capable. Sound cards like that are ~$50-75

cl-scott
12-21-2012, 05:43 PM
There are three basic components you need:

1: An audio source with 6 discrete channels of audio
2: A method of delivering those 6 channels of audio such as digital coax, toslink/optical, or HDMI
3: Something that can interpret and process all 6 channels of audio such as a receiver

The first part is usually the most oft overlooked one, and you'll frequently find that games are not encoded with Dolby Digital or DTS audio. Sometimes the may use some kind of custom positional audio API like EAX. So in such cases you have a stereo signal being sent to the receiver which then does some post-processing to try and upmix that into 5.1 audio. It's better than stereo, but never as good as true discrete surround sound.

Anyway, I have a HTPC at home with an older Intel 4000 IGP (not even the HD version) and it has no problems doing SPDIF passthrough via HDMI, and pretty much any receiver with HDMI will be able to strip out the audio and pass the video along to the TV.