PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G74SX: Replacing DVD-ROM with Third Hard Drive on an HDD Caddy

kyloboy2004
12-21-2012, 05:48 PM
A pleasant day to all here in ROG!

I hope everyone is having a great day so far after all the "End of the World" rumors. LOL :D

I have searched on the forums with regards to removing the DVD-ROM of an ASUS G74SX but didn't see any results, and so I went on posting this for help. I would like to ask if anyone over here has ever tried removing or replacing the DVD-ROMs of their ASUS G74SX. I do apologize if I haven't found it myself and would appreciate it if anyone can point one out for me.

Anyway, I'm planning to replace the DVD-ROM of my ASUS G74SX with an HDD Caddy to put a third hard drive. I have provided a link below to the one I'm thinking of buying for my purpose.

http://www.amazon.com/SATA-caddy-12-7mm-Universal-DVD-ROM/dp/B0056EW4A4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356109611&sr=8-1&keywords=HDD+Caddy

Someone might scratch their head with what I'm thinking, but I just tend to like more storage and I rarely use my DVD-ROM anyway, that's why I've decided on taking this route.

Can anyone help me with my curiosity and give me any hints or tips that they have with regards to this? Thank you very much to all people who took their time to read my post and may each and everyone of us have a very nice day!

Kyle Lorenze M. Yumul

ljismail0
12-22-2012, 05:58 PM
I have done the same thing to my g74sx with a silverstone hdd caddy. I currently have a 750 Gb drive in mine working just fine. This post right here is a dis-assembly guide for the G74SX it shows you how to take the ODD out and replace the face of the caddy. http://btoforums.com/showthread.php?t=3525

I hope this helps! Good Luck!

kyloboy2004
12-22-2012, 11:26 PM
Thank you very very much for your kind response! I have just checked out the link that you have provided and all I can say is WOOOOOOOW! :D Thank you very much for the link to such a great step-by-step disassembly instructions and for sharing that you have successfully done the same thing as to what I'm thinking of doing to my laptop. :) I shall pursue on my plan on placing a third hard drive on my laptop in that case. Again, thank you very much and may you and everyone who has checked this thread a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! :cool:

Pitcher@asus
12-25-2012, 05:32 AM
that is cool and good share, but becarful to dismantle, that is good suggest to change CD-ROM to HDD. why you want to add HDD, is it not enough space to used?

kyloboy2004
01-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Well, it's not that I don't have enough space, I just want to explore new things that I haven't tried yet. Actually, what I'm planning to do is something that I'm very fond of trying out in my laptop. I have replaced the two 500GB WD Scorpio Black that was originally installed on my ASUS G74SX-BBK9 and installed a Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD as my OS Disk, and a 1TB Seagate Momentus LP 5400rpm for my Games Disk and Backup Storage Disk. But what I really want to try out on my laptop way back before is to implement RAID on it, but considering my chipset doesn't support Hardware RAID, I decided to try out Software RAID using Dynamic Disk and creating a Striped Disk for my Games Disk to increase its performance. Because of this, the 'HDD Caddy' idea came into my mind and now I'm going to try implementing it on my laptop. I bought another 1TB Seagate Momentus LP 5400rpm last December 24 and since I'll be receiving my HDD Caddy today, I'm hoping my idea will work flawlessly.

g74sx_dubrovnik
05-04-2013, 04:10 PM
I have G74sx-bbk7 and I already have two drives, one SSD and one HDD 500 gb, I want to remove DVD drive and put caddy with third hard drive, is it possible to connect three hard drives on motherboard since I can see only two connections?

kyloboy2004
05-04-2013, 05:38 PM
I have G74sx-bbk7 and I already have two drives, one SSD and one HDD 500 gb, I want to remove DVD drive and put caddy with third hard drive, is it possible to connect three hard drives on motherboard since I can see only two connections?

I have a G74SX-BBK9 that I bought from BestBuy and I have successfully replaced my DVD drive with an HDD Caddy. Here is the one that I bought for my laptop:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056EW4A4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just make sure that the SSD is not the one in the HDD Caddy because I have read other posts from a different thread that G74SX doesn't boot on that specific SATA Port (haven't tried and verified this myself since my SSD works perfectly on the regular SATA ports). I am not quite sure if there's a difference with regards to the BBK7 and BBK9 versions of BestBuy but I'm pretty much sure it will work.

Are you also planning to use Dynamic Striped Disk (Software RAID through Windows 7 Disk Management) together with your second (HDD) drive that's why you're placing a third drive? Or maybe just to increase storage space? I did both myself and it works well also. But nevertheless, going back to your main question, an HDD Caddy will work for a third drive on the G74SX-BBK7 to replace your DVD drive.

g74sx_dubrovnik
05-04-2013, 10:42 PM
I have a G74SX-BBK9 that I bought from BestBuy and I have successfully replaced my DVD drive with an HDD Caddy. Here is the one that I bought for my laptop:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056EW4A4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just make sure that the SSD is not the one in the HDD Caddy because I have read other posts from a different thread that G74SX doesn't boot on that specific SATA Port (haven't tried and verified this myself since my SSD works perfectly on the regular SATA ports). I am not quite sure if there's a difference with regards to the BBK7 and BBK9 versions of BestBuy but I'm pretty much sure it will work.

Are you also planning to use Dynamic Striped Disk (Software RAID through Windows 7 Disk Management) together with your second (HDD) drive that's why you're placing a third drive? Or maybe just to increase storage space? I did both myself and it works well also. But nevertheless, going back to your main question, an HDD Caddy will work for a third drive on the G74SX-BBK7 to replace your DVD drive.

Thanks man :)
I didnŽt hope someone would answer so quickly :)
All understood, just that I am not sure where to connect third hard drive?
When I open cover on the back, I can see only two connections to motherboard for hdd, at this moment, my first drive is SSD with windows installed on it, and second one is 1TB seagate which I removed from external hard drive and installed as internal.
Just want to know where to connect cable of third hdd?
Regarding your question about RAID, I am not sure how to do that, so for now, IŽll pass :)
Maybe after I get third hard drive and install it, I will look into it :)

kyloboy2004
05-08-2013, 05:12 AM
Thanks man :)
I didnŽt hope someone would answer so quickly :)
All understood, just that I am not sure where to connect third hard drive?
When I open cover on the back, I can see only two connections to motherboard for hdd, at this moment, my first drive is SSD with windows installed on it, and second one is 1TB seagate which I removed from external hard drive and installed as internal.
Just want to know where to connect cable of third hdd?
Regarding your question about RAID, I am not sure how to do that, so for now, IŽll pass :)
Maybe after I get third hard drive and install it, I will look into it :)

I apologize for my late response, been quite busy with many things at work and at home.

Anyway, with regards to your first question:

"...Just want to know where to connect cable of third hdd?..."

you don't need to look where to plug the third HDD. The HDD Caddy is basically a case for your third HDD that will replace your Optical Drive, and that will connect just like how the Optical Drive connects to your laptop. In short, the HDD Caddy can be considered a gender changer from the Optical Drive SATA Port to the HDD SATA Port (excuse me for not being able to use accurate/correct terms to explain the two different SATA Ports, I honestly am not also aware of the right terms for them). To explain this, please do check out the images of the HDD Caddy on the link that I provided on my previous response, which I also placed below:

If you try to remove your laptop's Optical Drive, you'll see one of the images of the HDD Caddy corresponds to the SATA Connection of your Optical Drive and another image shows the SATA Connectors that will go to your third HDD. You won't be needing any SATA Connectors or any other cable aside from the HDD Caddy for you to connect your third HDD to your laptop, it has everything you need.

With regards to my RAID question, I just got curious if you had any plans like that also. If you had any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. If you also want some pictures of the HDD Caddy and comparisons to my Optical Drive, I can remove my third HDD and show them for your convenience.

floydsproduce
06-15-2013, 02:13 PM
What should I expect for performance from a drive connected through the DVD sata port, using a HDD Caddy? Has anyone done a test with HD Tune Pro? That would great to know. I would like to use three 480GB SDD drives in this notebook, no need for a DVD drive. Anyone?

TIA

hirethestache
06-24-2013, 09:42 PM
I love this thread :D

I just got my hands on a 600gb intel 320 series SSD anw as wondering what to do with it...now I know!

hirethestache
06-27-2013, 11:44 AM
What should I expect for performance from a drive connected through the DVD sata port, using a HDD Caddy? Has anyone done a test with HD Tune Pro? That would great to know. I would like to use three 480GB SDD drives in this notebook, no need for a DVD drive. Anyone?

TIA

Any update on this specific question?

kyloboy2004
06-27-2013, 03:21 PM

TIA

First of all, I humbly apologize for not being able to respond to my thread for a long time, been busy at work and many stuff and wasn't able to check my ROG Account.

Anyway, I honestly haven't tested the performance of my third HDD that's inserted on the DVD SATA Port using my HDD Caddy, but so far I've noticed that my Seagate Momentus 1TB 5400rpm HDD that's plugged into it is not having any issues nor is it causing any slow-downs on my computer in general. Just like what I mentioned on my previous posts, I'm using my Third HDD for a Dynamic Disk (using Software RAID 0 on the Disk Management of Windows 7) together with my second HDD to partition my Games Disk.

I can honestly tell you that I don't know how to properly identify the performance of it, so since you mentioned HD Tune Pro, I'll try to download the free version of it to test its performance. However, will the free version be able to test it fully or do I need the full version? If there's anyone else who can suggest a good HDD Benchmark Tool aside from HD Tune Pro that's free, that would be great and I'm willing to try to test my setup.

kyloboy2004
06-27-2013, 03:31 PM
Someone messaged me privately on my Skype account that made me aware that there are new messages here. Please do ask your questions here so that other people will also benefit from any questions connected to the topic of this post. Thank you very much!

hirethestache
06-29-2013, 11:15 PM
Would you see any performance issues if using the third drive as a general work drive? I am a video editor, and would love to put my extra 600gb SSD in that slot if the performance would be equal to that out of my main C: ssd.

kyloboy2004
06-30-2013, 02:48 AM
Would you see any performance issues if using the third drive as a general work drive? I am a video editor, and would love to put my extra 600gb SSD in that slot if the performance would be equal to that out of my main C: ssd.

I've checked your Intel 320 Series 600GB SSD and it turns out to be SATA II (SATA 3Gb/s), so I believe that, performance-wise, the SATA port where the DVD Drive is connected to (which you'll be replacing with an HDD Caddy) will suffice.

However, comparing your main drive C: SSD to your Intel 320 Series 600GB SSD will be something I won't be sure about, since I don't have any idea about the brand of your main C: SSD. If it's a SATA III (SATA 6Gb/s) SSD, and if it's installed on SATA 0 Port (the left SATA Port that's built-in to the motherboard) then I'm almost certain it will still be faster than your Intel 320 Series 600GB SSD, since most likely (if note surely) it will have a faster Read/Write speeds. Nevertheless, you'll pretty much benefit on the performance gain that you'll receive by using the Intel 320 Series 600GB SSD on your laptop for your video editing and work-related tasks, even if it's on the HDD Caddy.

fakunchas
07-12-2013, 10:29 AM
you should expect that the DVD sata port in the g74 is sata2 while the others two are sata3

hirethestache
07-13-2013, 07:45 AM
What is the ultimate best route to take for this? Say I want to expand at least 500 gigs by dropping a third HDD/SSD into my computer. What exactly do I need to buy? Im just plain afraid of buying the wrong part. I'd like to add that I am not looking to boot from it. I already have my main C drive as an SSD, and my D: drive as a hybrid. I would simply like to add a third drive to have as a dedicated video editing drive, so utilizing an SSD or fast hybrid in that third slot seems like the route to take.

fakunchas
07-15-2013, 01:55 PM
i really don't know what caddy you should buy BECAUSE THE DESIGN OF THE DVD IS DIFFERENT EVERY TIME A NEW MODEL COMES UP and probably no manufacturer will be making a caddy for a particular model..

If you do video editing, probably you have at least 2 monitors, so you're not always on the go. I see no advantage in having a 3rd HD specially when you are limited to SATA II speed in the dvd drive bay. Adding a 3rd hd will increase the weight and shorten the battery.

You are forgetting you have a USB3 port. Its speed is around 3x faster than SATA II.
If i were you i would buy buy the biggest 3 SSD HD and put 2 of them in the G74 and the 3rd one in a USB3 external case to make video editing.

kyloboy2004
07-23-2013, 08:49 PM
i really don't know what caddy you should buy BECAUSE THE DESIGN OF THE DVD IS DIFFERENT EVERY TIME A NEW MODEL COMES UP and probably no manufacturer will be making a caddy for a particular model..

If you do video editing, probably you have at least 2 monitors, so you're not always on the go. I see no advantage in having a 3rd HD specially when you are limited to SATA II speed in the dvd drive bay. Adding a 3rd hd will increase the weight and shorten the battery.

You are forgetting you have a USB3 port. Its speed is around 3x faster than SATA II.
If i were you i would buy buy the biggest 3 SSD HD and put 2 of them in the G74 and the 3rd one in a USB3 external case to make video editing.

First of all, I'm sorry I wasn't able to respond to this thread for a long time, been really busy at work. Anyway, let's get back to the topic...

I can agree with what fakunchas has mentioned in some part of his reply above, adding a third HDD will increase the weight a little bit and shorten the battery. However, considering that hirethestache already has an 'Intel 320 Series 600GB SSD' already on hand, it won't require that much power to run it and it won't add that much weight, so if I were to suggest, I would still prefer using an HDD Caddy to replace the DVD-ROM. Aside from the reasons that I said above, setting it up that way will not force hirethestache to bring another external HDD when he leaves his usual video editing workplace and can always continue work wherever he wants to.

Moving on...

USB 3.0 has faster speeds than SATA II, I also agree on that part. However, taking encoding overhead on both connections into account, USB 3.0 is capable of upto 3.2Gbit/s, approximately 400MB/s, while SATA II is capable of upto 2.4 Gbit/s, approximately 300MB/s. Also again, considering the SSD that hirethestache already has, and considering that the said SSD is a SATA II SSD, then I honestly believe that he'll still be able to utilize its max speed by using an HDD Caddy for it and install it as a third HDD to replace his DVD-ROM.

Just like what I mentioned on my previous responses, I myself have replaced the DVD-ROM of my ASUS G74SX-BBK9 and installed my third HDD using an HDD Caddy successfully, which I added a link below:

http://www.amazon.com/SATA-caddy-12-7mm-Universal-DVD-ROM/dp/B0056EW4A4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356109611&sr=8-1&keywords=HDD+Caddy

Nevertheless, I would only suggest using an HDD Caddy for a third HDD/SSD "IF AND ONLY IF" you rarely use your DVD-ROM and would like to have additional storage for your laptop.

you should expect that the DVD sata port in the g74 is sata2 while the others two are sata3

Can anyone please verify this for me? As far as I can remember during my research from other threads, only one of the two accessible SATA Connectors of G74SX is a SATA III (it's been too long since I researched about it, so please do correct me if I'm wrong by using a link to a thread).

TIA

I would like to follow up on floydsproduce's question way back last June 15...

I'm actually about to reformat my laptop later and replace my second and third "Seagate Momentus STBD1000100 1TB 5400 RPM 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drives" with my recently bought "Seagate Solid State Hybrid ST1000LM014 1TB 64MB Cache 2.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Laptop Hard Drives", and this is a good opportunity for me to try testing the speeds of my second and third HDDs individually to check if they both have the same test results, before configuring them with Software RAID 0 - Dynamic Disk using Windows Disk Management. Anyone ready to suggest a specific HDD Benchmark Tool? I would love to hear from other people who has experience benchmarking HDDs. I tend to use "CrystalDiskMark" in testing my HDD speeds, including when I try to use RAM Caching.

I shall be posting my findings with regards to my HDD speeds as soon as they become available.

kyloboy2004
08-01-2013, 10:57 PM
For anyone who's interested to see the comparison with regards to the performance of an HDD inserted to an HDD Caddy and installed on the DVD SATA Port of an ASUS G74SX, here are the results on the CrystalDiskMark benchmarks that I have done using my HDDs and my SSHDs.

Looking at the tests that I have conducted using CrystalDiskMark, both the SATA Port accessible at the back of the ASUS G74SX (that will be my Second HDD, the Second SSHD is right after replacing my HDDs with SSHDs) and the DVD SATA Port performed the same. I hope this clears up the topic of not having the same speeds when installing a third HDD in an HDD Caddy to the DVD SATA Port.

fakunchas
08-02-2013, 10:40 AM
but, is your HDD sata 3?
brand and model pls.

kyloboy2004
08-02-2013, 09:21 PM
but, is your HDD sata 3?
brand and model pls.

I can assure you that the SSHDs that I'm using are SATA III (SATA 6.0Gb/s) because I bought two of them last July 19 (which were the SSHDs tested above) from Newegg:

Seagate Solid State Hybrid ST1000LM014 1TB 64MB Cache 2.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Laptop Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178340
Seagate: http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/laptop-hard-drives/laptop-solid-state-hybrid-drive/?sku=ST1000LM014

However, the HDDs that were also tested above are just SATA II (SATA 3.0Gb/s):

Seagate Momentus STBD1000100 1TB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Retail kit
Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178006
Seagate: http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/laptop-hard-drives/momentus-laptop/?sku=STBD1000100

With the test results that I conducted, I can say that only one of the SATA Ports (specifically SATA Port 0) accessible at the back of my ASUS G74SX-BBK9 (BestBuy Model) is a SATA III Port. The second SATA Port (which is SATA Port 1) beside SATA Port 0 and the DVD SATA Port (which is SATA Port 2) are both SATA II.

peterLF
11-29-2013, 02:03 AM
Hi, sorry for digging up this thread, but I've got a different angle to look from.

Namely: form factor... I'm trying to jam as much stuff in there as I can.

My model number is G74SX - TZ099V.
Currently my setup is a 128 GB Crucial M4 and a WD10TPVT left/right back HDD slots respectively.

A couple of notes: the left bay won't fit anything larger than a 9.5mm drive, because of the fixed SATA connector. The right one (the one that uses the ribbon-connector) can fit a 12.7 mm drive, without problem - though you need to slightly bend the flaps on the metal plate/caddy-thing to allow the cover not to bulge from the screws. It's a pretty fit, so I don't suspect any larger drives would fit (when I get a hold of one, I'll try one in).

Now, to the point of the thread: the ODD slot.
My model is one of the ones with blu-ray - which as far as I can tell isn't the case with the BBK9-models...? In that case there could be added SATA3 compatability with the ODD slot in my model. The reason I'm saying that it that CrystalDisk list my SSD as SATA-600 when I tried it in that bay. I haven't done much actual testing to support it, but it seems to be the case.

On to the caddy: I bought the 12.7mm caddy from DX.com (http://dx.com/p/designer-s-2-5-sata-to-sata-hdd-ssd-caddy-for-12-7mm-optical-drive-122075) (because of the free worldwide shipping). I noticed the G74SX has quite a bit of room above the caddy, so using my trusted ruler/caliper, I managed to measure the available room to about 14,5mm in total. The main inhibitor is the opening (the frame around the ODD bay), not the inside cavity. So I suspect if problems arise, one could potentially "DIY" half a milimeter of room if needed.

So... I am going to get an enterprise sized 15mm drive (WD Green WD20NPVX) to see if I can fit it in there... That extra 1TB is worth the hassle in my opinion. If this works, I'm going to have a laptop with 3TB of storage along with an SSD for OS and installs.

Here is my question:
- Has anyone tried fitting 15mm drives in their caddy, or would consider trying it and posting back?
- Since I'm mostly looking for storage, I haven't checked benchmarks (there isn't alot of 2TB 2.5's around) - but I'm guessing the SATA-600 wouldn't be used to it's full potential with a 5400rpm drive? It comes in both SATA2 and SATA3 versions, so I'm just curious...

Thx guys...! I'm going to wait about a week to 10 days before I get the drive, unless I find some new information...

:cool:

peterLF
12-09-2013, 05:30 PM
Just to follow up for anyone who might look through this forum and wondering the same as me - a 15mm drive DOES fit. Its down to the last millimeter, so the it won't fit with the fastening screws - but they aren't that important, since it isn't exactly a laptop you fling around just everywhere :-)

I'm using a Western Digital WD20NPVX.

hirethestache
05-27-2014, 08:35 PM
PeterLF, did you ever test this out?

Boosted_R
05-27-2014, 11:19 PM
Just installed a Silverstone TS09 (12.7mm) worked perfectly with a 9.5mm HDD drive... No way a 15mm drive will fit. its a 13mm slot at best

hirethestache
05-27-2014, 11:31 PM
I ordered the SANOXY 12.7mm caddy (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056EW4A4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) from amazon. I dont have the Best Buy edition G74SX, I have the DH72 version with Blueray drive. I wound up selling the drive I mentioned a few months ago and purchased the Samsung Evo 840 2.5" 500gb with my Amazon Prime. Hoping I get some good results! I plan on partitioning 120gb of the drive purely for dedicated cache for my video projects.

Boosted_R
05-27-2014, 11:39 PM
I ordered the SANOXY 12.7mm caddy (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056EW4A4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) from amazon. I dont have the Best Buy edition G74SX, I have the DH72 version with Blueray drive. I wound up selling the drive I mentioned a few months ago and purchased the Samsung Evo 840 2.5" 500gb with my Amazon Prime. Hoping I get some good results! I plan on partitioning 120gb of the drive purely for dedicated cache for my video projects.

Don't put the SSD in the Optical bay, use slot 1 or 2 in the main bay........ I'm currently running; Bay 1: Intel SSD Bay 2: WD 750GB, Optical Bay: WD 160GB (will be swapping out to a WD 1TB NAS soon now that I know everything works)

hirethestache
05-28-2014, 10:18 PM
Would it be possible to move my existing D drive to the new caddy location without reformatting/creating a world of chaos?

Boosted_R
05-28-2014, 10:25 PM
Would it be possible to move my existing D drive to the new caddy location without reformatting/creating a world of chaos?

As long as it not the OS drive, its not an issues moving it ( I wouldn't recommend moving the OS drive to the optical bay for performance reasons).... at the very most you might have to go into windows disk management and rename the drive (takes 10 seconds)

hirethestache
05-28-2014, 10:32 PM
My current setup is an OCZ Vertex3 SSD for my OS drive (C:) and a WD Black Series 750gb(7500rpm) drive as my secondary drive (D:). The D: has a significant number of installed programs, files & plugins on the drive. If I put the D: into the ODD caddy, and the Samsung 840 evo SSD into the D: Slot, what steps would I go about to make sure I have a healthy transition? Do I change the drive letter before installing the new drive and moving things around?

Boosted_R
05-28-2014, 11:49 PM
My current setup is an OCZ Vertex3 SSD for my OS drive (C:) and a WD Black Series 750gb(7500rpm) drive as my secondary drive (D:). The D: has a significant number of installed programs, files & plugins on the drive. If I put the D: into the ODD caddy, and the Samsung 840 evo SSD into the D: Slot, what steps would I go about to make sure I have a healthy transition? Do I change the drive letter before installing the new drive and moving things around?

You only need to rename/change the drive name if it doesn't show up in My Computer.... You shouldn't have any issues, I have swapped SATA ports and not have an issue in the past.......

To be 100% sure put the 750GB in the caddy, and test 1 program to make sure it fine (if one works, all will work). if all is well, pop in the EVO in the D slot.... adds a few more minutes but guarantees you having no issues...

Personally, I don't see you having any issues..........benchmark the 750GB with its current slot and after you move it... you might loose a little performance since the Optical SATA is SATA 2 and not SATA 3 like the 2 Main SATA ports