PDA

View Full Version : Asus G46VW user conclusion and final thoughts

colpolite
12-21-2012, 08:23 PM
Returned back the laptop to bestbuy for a full refund after playing with it for several days. I'll give my pros and cons below

GOOD
- Excellent Cooling and Fans are whisper quiet when gaming or benchmarking and almost no noise with web browsing
- No throttling issues and you get full performance (tested msi afterburner graph and gpu-z)
- GTX 660m at a laptop of this size at 768p gives so much frames per sec
- Excellent build quality and feel.
- Great stealth design and lid ROG logo lights up
- Good battery life of between 4-6hours
- Lid is super tight and non wobbly and does not creak when opening or closing
- Good wireless card Intel Centrino 2230 and Bluetooth 4.0, very good signal and continous connection w/o disconnects. Compared to crappy atheros wireless cards that Asus puts on most of their high end laptops.

BAD
- Screen is not grainy but my god the color gamut reminds me of m14x R2 where it is lacking the pop or vividness. The G55/G75 default screen has 60% gamut and from experience, the G46 screen would be around 40% gamut like the m14x r2. The color really looks dead
- The built in speakers although is decent, has a popping noise a half a sec b4 you play a music or video and when closing it when VIA driver is installed. Tried reinstalling diff VIA drivers specifically for g46 and poppin sound problem still persist. SOLUTION is to uninstall VIA driver and the problem goes away but the sound quality suffers so bad.
- The outer rubberize lid does not pick up many smudges but the metal/aluminum palm rest area is a fingerprint/smudge/oil magnet.
- Touchpad sucks , the 2 touchpad buttons are perfect though and really responsive and quiet but the touchpad requires some pressure in tapping it and is really slow because the elantech drivers does not have its own touchpad settings where you can adjust different settings like one/two scrolling, palm check sensitivity, tap settings like tapzones/ soft/hard etc... It has the Asus Smart Gesture where it does not help at all.
- Although the G46 can be disassembled using a torx screw, it is still not as easy and can void the warranty if you try and replace the hdd and the hdd is a slow 5400rpm 750GB Samsung Drive

Might be a Pro or a Con
- 768p resolution, 900p would have been perfect at this size since the gtx 660m has so much horsepower
- The spacebar requires some pressure and right placement of finger when pressing it for it to work

InstantGentleman
12-21-2012, 08:42 PM
Good review, I just bought this same laptop 2 days ago from best buy also. I agree that the palmrest is an oilslick, mostly because it's a dark color I think. I found myself washing my hands everytime I used it, sort of annoying. I didn't have a problem with the trackpad, I thought it was nice, a lot better than my zenbook which is WAY too touchy. I haven't had a chance to game with it or test audio extensively, but I don't think I encountered any pops or static. Keep in mind, I ditched windows 8 for windows 7, so some of your issues may be software related(?). May I ask what you plan on buying since you returned this laptop? G75?

colpolite
12-21-2012, 09:19 PM
Will probably wait until XoticPc or Gentechpc gets the G46 version where you can configure it with a much higher res screen and possibly higher gamut, and possibly windows 7 and ssd w/o voiding the warranty.

But for now there might be a chance that I'll probably get the Clevo P151 NP9130 w/ the 670mx for under $1,280

dclanz
12-21-2012, 09:36 PM
Nice to see another user's opinion of the G46VW. I experienced the sound popping during my initial gameplay of Crysis 2, but it seemed to have gone away. The touchpad works ok for me, but I don't use it as often since I favor a wireless mouse. The HD while slow, works for me because I'd rather not dissect the unit and I am cool with Windows 8. Best of luck on the new laptop :)

Spidey
12-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Sorry for leaching off this thread but op posted a site on a different forum with better options for customization -

http://www.hidevolution.com/asus-g46vw-bhi5n43-2gb-nvidia-gtx-660m-14.html

Is this for realz as in they will ship it to my location immediately? Or is this like a pre-order thing where I have to wait till a certain time?

If so then I'll wait till april to get the refreshed haswell version and possibly new nvidia cards :)

InstantGentleman
12-24-2012, 06:38 PM
So this laptop should be user upgradeable? I have the i5-3210M, but I should be able to buy any of those processors on the upgrade list and swap it in?

fantomm
06-23-2013, 09:10 AM
has anybody been having problems with noticeable hdd sounds. its not extremely loud but it still has me nervous. some feedback would be a great help thanks.

DirkHardeck
06-24-2013, 03:50 AM
Yes, the Seagate 5400 HDD is rather noisy. It is nothing to worry about, as long as it is a gentle whirring and not, you know, grinding. Putting the OS on an MSATA SSD reduced the usage of that drive and therefore the annoying noise when I do something as simple as web browsing. When utilizing information stored on the HDD, such as games and music, of course the noise form the media drowns out the HDD noise.

It is absolutely one of the noisiest laptop drives I have heard in awhile...