PDA

View Full Version : G53JW - No HDD detecting in BIOS

Toronagga
12-22-2012, 01:47 PM
Hey all,

I've trawled through the forums but can't find a similar thread that has helped so far...

My G53JW is currently unable to detect either of my HDD's in either of the bays. I don't know what has caused it, I came back from work last Monday and when I booted it up it went past the splash screen then asked my to insert a bootable disk.

I have taken it apart and checked all connections to make sure nothing had come loose (they seem perfectly fine), I have tried just one drive at a time in both ports. BIOS can detect my optical drive without issue, but it says nothing about my HDD's.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Bordering on ordering a new laptop at the moment, but that may result in divorce.

dstrakele
12-22-2012, 04:16 PM
How is your SATA port configuration set in the BIOS? Confirm it is set to AHCI.

Toronagga
12-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Yup, set as ACHI.

I've tried the other settings too just to see, but nothing. I've also done a reset of bios (removed cmos battery) to see if that would work.

I have a slight suspicion it has been dropped on the desk and something has broken, but can't see anything obviously wrong and no one has owned up.

Thanks for the quick reply and having a think.

dstrakele
12-22-2012, 05:31 PM
Yep, wife sabotage because husband pays TOO much attention to laptop. You see it a lot in this forum. New laptop is probably a bad idea... She'll walk away with it in the divorce settlement. Probably best to send it in for Warranty repair (if it's still under warranty) or have a qualified local computer repair shop take a look at it. With the laptop temporarily outta the house, the wife can claim victory, and all will be well....
;>{) >

PM cl-scott, the ASUS Customer Loyalty rep, to assist with your RMA, if you make that choice.

If it was left plugged in, it could have received a power surge that damaged it. If you are in the USA or Canada, within 1 year of purchase, and registered the laptop within 30 days of purchase, supplied ASUS with proof of purchase, and gave them your firstborn child, you may be covered for such a tragedy under the ASUS Accidental Damage Protection program. See http://completewarranty.asus.com/Content/US/ADP/adp.aspx if ya don't believe me...

Toronagga
12-22-2012, 06:19 PM
I've started the RMA route already, but with the cost (being almost 2 years old) I thought I would seek alternative options before continuing with it. Spoke to one local PC guy, but he "doesn't do laptops" so I'll have to wait until until after the holidays before I can get anywhere else.

It shouldn't have been a surge, I'm in the UK and the adaptor is plugged into a surge protector before the mains supply, but that is something I hadn't considered. I'll see if I can snag a multimeter and check power through the connectors, They should have 5 volts right?

dstrakele
12-22-2012, 06:59 PM
Sorry - don't know enough to help with the voltage. I find it interesting how frequently folks report fatal laptop issues on "2 year old" machines on this forum. Perhaps it's just these gaming laptops lead hard and fast lives...

If I were in your situation, I'd probably sell the deceased laptop for parts on eBay and put the repair cost into a new computer (and just hide it from the wife).

Toronagga
12-22-2012, 07:49 PM
If I were in your situation, I'd probably sell the deceased laptop for parts on eBay and put the repair cost into a new computer (and just hide it from the wife).

Probably the best solution I have heard... Aaaand I will be able to quote you when I get caught out. >_<

Thanks for the advice, I expect I'll have to go down that route if the voltage thing doesn't provide anything new.

kateean2
12-23-2012, 02:45 AM
wow its good thread!
http://www.booksstore.info/eword/cute.jpg
http://www.booksstore.info/polo/fun.jpg

Pitcher@asus
12-25-2012, 05:22 AM
hi, you can provide you SN to ASUS service center, thye can be telling you what is your warranty end date, i think NB warranty is 2 or 3 years.

Toronagga
12-25-2012, 12:42 PM
hi, you can provide you SN to ASUS service center, thye can be telling you what is your warranty end date, i think NB warranty is 2 or 3 years.
Heya, thanks for having a look.

The Serial number is:- ACN0AS096332506 (though there seems to be an issue with this).
The sticker indicates that it is a 24 month warranty with a manufacture date of 2010-12.

I purchased the laptop on 14 Jan 2011 from simplyasus.com

I have started an RMA, ref - RWTM201212202355163044-113