PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Asus G53 Overclocking

Trandescent
06-17-2011, 09:44 AM
I have an Asus G53JW notebook with i5-460M, 2.53Ghz, my problem is that, whenever I start playing games, the cpu automatically overclocks to 2.9 ghz, regarding the fact that the power plan is set to "balanced" (this happens when playing WoW). I tried uninstalling Power4Gear software but doesn't seem to have any improvements. I'm new with the all overclocking stuff and maybe ( most likely ) this would have something to do with my problem. Other than that I am very happy for joining the community and would be very grateful for anyone who can help me with my issue !!

xeromist
06-17-2011, 05:16 PM
Balanced does mean that the criteria for speed adjustment changes but something like a game is still going to cause a bump to high speed. What is it that you want it to do, exactly?

Chastity@ASUS
06-17-2011, 07:18 PM
Sounds to me that Intel Turbo Boost is kicking in. It's normal.

Trandescent
06-18-2011, 08:59 AM
Well, i don't think is normal for the CPU to overclock on a game such as World of Warcraft, and I'm afraid that in the future the CPU will fry or something, should I be worried about that? I only want for the CPU to maintain it's normal speed (2.5ghz) without automatically overclocking.Any suggestions?

jorlanm
06-18-2011, 03:00 PM
World of War Craft is a CPU intensive game...so you will get turbo boost

Trandescent
06-18-2011, 05:24 PM
So then, should I be worried if this happens all the time?

Chastity@ASUS
06-18-2011, 06:43 PM
So then, should I be worried if this happens all the time?

I just read the specs for your CPU, and the 2.8-2.9 boost is perfectly normal, as it's the TurboBoost max setting. It's all handled automatically by the BIOS and monitored. If it gets too hot, it will throttle down to stock speeds automatically too. So there is nothing to fret over this. (We're only talking a 14% OC anyway)

So, no, your chip is not going to fry.

Trandescent
06-18-2011, 06:56 PM
Oh great, so happy to hear that, thanks alot !!

manu72
06-22-2011, 01:47 PM
Mine does exactly the same, when is under load it runs at almost 3GHz. You can check the 3D mark scores in my sig.
It should be OK even in the long run, especially considering that we have the gfx in the same package which is not used. So, if i may say so, we have a TDP reserve to OC the i5.

irdmoose
06-24-2011, 12:57 AM
Yep, the system is doing exactly what it was designed to do. Intel has built their last several generations of CPUs with lots of headroom in the heat envelope. The only time I'd be worried is if you had the rear vents blocked for some reason, but that'd be something to worry about with ANY laptop. The CPUs also have built-in protections against overheating that could cause damage (as Chastity said correctly) and will throttle themselves down to prevent damage to the CPU or the system. If you are really worried about it, you can run a program called CoreTemp that will allow you to monitor the temperatures. My i7 based G73 under full load typically runs in the low 70's C, but YMMV.

Trandescent
06-25-2011, 09:20 AM
Yes, I am using such monitoring software, the CPU temps are pretty nice, 60C on load and 38-40 on idle, but I'm a little bit worried about the GPU, while on load the temps raise to around 80, on idle i think 45-46C, are these temps in the normal parameteters or should i consider doing something about it?

Chastity@ASUS
06-25-2011, 01:51 PM
80C on full load is not anything you should worry about. 100C on load is. :)