PDA

View Full Version : G55VW Brightness resetting to 100%

Kevhahas
12-26-2012, 04:11 AM
Hi,

So I started having this problem after I updated my graphics driver to version 310.70.
My brightness keeps resetting itself to 100% every time I go in or out of a game (this includes alt-tabbing in and out of the game as well). Even though the brightness resets to 100%, the brightness slider stays 50% ( I usually use 50%). Also, after updating the graphics driver, I never messed around with the settings; the settings were kept at default.
I searched the forum for quite some time and there seem to be a couple of other people having similar problems but I couldn't find any solution.
Would appreciate it if anyone could help me.

Thanks!

rewben
12-26-2012, 04:19 AM
it's sad to say this but i guess it's a common problem. i have this too; running bios 209, w8. i did not notice it at first because i always run at 100% brightness (the 3D screen is kind of darker)

colpolite
12-26-2012, 05:40 AM
This is the common forced brightness horror issue with the Asus G55. Asus seem to ignore our complaints since we have been complaining about this back in August/Sept and to no avail. They just keep saying reinstall drivers or get new updated gpu driver yadda yadda or update bios or clean install blabla and even after trying those, still does not fix it.

Why can't they just come out and be honest and admit that there is a problem and it might be hardware and can never be fixed that way we know but no they would rather not comment.

Belenos
01-07-2013, 10:01 AM
I have the same problem. It's really disgusting. I hope there will be a fix sometime.

Pitcher@asus
01-08-2013, 03:49 AM
hi, did you install your ATK driver, if you renew ATK driver, when you press function to control brightness and jump out from game, is it back to 100% brightness?
if yes, please tell me what is game do you play and wha is resolution, BIOS version, driver version, and how to duplicate?

Belenos
01-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Yes, I've installed the ATK driver. I've taken it from the Asus Driver Page for Win7.
The brightness changes every time I switch between game and desktop, including starting and closing the game. When I use the shortcut to dim the brightness it's at the same level as it was before maximizing to 100 immediately.
I've tested it with Deus Ex Human Revolution at 1920x1080. But I think, the loading screen could have a different resolution.
Bios is 214, Nvidia driver version was GeForce 306.97. At the moment I'm setting up a new installation with new drivers. After that I can tell you more.

dbrisingr
01-08-2013, 05:25 PM
I made a thread about this a few weeks ago.
A LOT of people keep complaining to no avail.
The mods just keep asking the same questions over and over again...
What games does? Have you updated x, y, z?
on and on and on...

colpolite
01-08-2013, 06:45 PM
I had this issue on my G55VW back in August/September and Asus has no solutions for it.

Belenos
01-10-2013, 09:33 AM
Yeah... I have no idea why... but since yesterday evening the problem doesn't exist anymore.
I did a new Win7 Ultimate x64 installation on my G55VW. First after that i took the drivers Win8 from Asus download site.
But after that I downloaded most of the drivers that ********** posted at *banned website*
They were more up to date. Especially the Intel drivers.
I didn't download:
14-ASUS Virtual Camera Utility
15-Power4Gear Hybrid Utility
17-ASUS Fan Filter Checker v1.0.0001
18-ASUS USB Charger Plus

and the optional drivers because I don't use these.

After downloading I unpacked the zips and exes so that I have a folder with all the drivers and don't have to run the packed files.
I ran the setup of these drivers. But unfortunately that haven't really updated the drivers as I could see in device manager.
So I went through device list and chose to update drivers manually. As source for searching drivers I entered the folder with unpacked drivers.
So I could update even the driver for processor.
After that I took the lastest nVidia driver 310.90 and installed it without 3D and Update Service.

Don't know if it's due to the new nVidia driver... but the display keeps the brightness level, even when the resolution changes at game start.

rewben
01-10-2013, 10:10 AM
my guess is the new nvidia driver :) no more 100% brightness issue anymore.

colpolite
01-15-2013, 08:20 PM
Can anyone else confirmed that the Force Brightness to 100% issue is resolved by using nVidia driver 310.90?

Silverkid
01-15-2013, 11:35 PM
I can also confirm that 310.90 fixes the issue, at least the login brightness. Haven't tried it on games but there's no reason why it should act differently.

rewben
01-16-2013, 01:10 AM
@colpolite, yes, confirmed. you have issue with that version of nvidia driver?