PDA

View Full Version : No Delete Post? No Functional Image Mgmt?

RangerXP
12-26-2012, 05:05 AM
Dear ROG Admin - Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays!

Also-

I used to be able to delete my posts.. now I am stuck with whatever dribble I write (via edit).. where is the QC in that? Also.. I can't delete pictures uploaded to the thread.. probably for the same permissions based issue.. can this please be fixed asap?

Thanks,
Ranger

_
12-26-2012, 08:58 AM
We've never enabled self-deletion of posts so far, I will discuss with the mods whether we want to enable it. As for uploaded photos this is a vB issue as their image management system is extremely poor. Let me know where and I'll try getting them off for you.

Zygomorphic
12-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Let me know links to the posts/images, and I will see what I can do. I don't know if I can get the images off, but I can delete the posts.

Myk SilentShadow
12-26-2012, 12:27 PM
I dunno what you're talking about Ranger, I just posted in here and deleted it no problem whatsoever. All you do is click edit, click the little box next to "delete post in this manner" and then on the right side click delete.....it works no problem for me

As for your image problem, you should just be able to delete the link, whatever type it is, there should be no problem getting rid of it.

HiVizMan
12-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Yeah some users are not able to do that Myk it seems. I have had many many many pms from folks who are stuck and wish to delete something.

Me I have no problem with users deleting their drivel replies. Even when the dribble :D Thing with images it is easy to edit or delete them, you need to go into the advanced mode and then navigate down to the manage your images. There a simple x in the delete button of the image you want gone is required.

RangerXP
12-26-2012, 10:25 PM
Sure enough.. Myk.. I looked for the Delete in this manner and there was the option.. So weird I didn't see it in the Crosshair Forum. I will revisit. As for the image management.. I am inclined to beleive the post re vb error:

After I upload a picture and then later need to delete the embedded image from the post.. it does not do anything when I check it and/or hit the x to delete.

Thanks team,
Ranger

chrsplmr
12-26-2012, 10:42 PM
Settings/Attachments [@ the bottom of left column.] ... delete to your hearts content.

Zygomorphic
12-27-2012, 02:02 AM
Settings/Attachments [@ the bottom of left column.] ... delete to your hearts content.
Well, let's not all get too delete-happy... :)
Still, hope this works out for you! I've never tried it, since I've had reason to delete a picture (only uploaded 2 I believe).

_
12-27-2012, 09:51 AM
It was disabled for users who have less than 5 posts, but now I've enabled it along with album creation and administration for them too. For verified users >5 posts both functions have always been enabled so I don't know :(

If anyone knows of a vB plugin that modifies the function of the standard vB albums to make them more user friendly I'll get it installed. Don't care if it's paid for even. The current one is crap.

Zygomorphic
12-27-2012, 11:15 AM
It was disabled for users who have less than 5 posts, but now I've enabled it along with album creation and administration for them too. For verified users >5 posts both functions have always been enabled so I don't know :(

If anyone knows of a vB plugin that modifies the function of the standard vB albums to make them more user friendly I'll get it installed. Don't care if it's paid for even. The current one is crap.

That would explain a great deal. The people who chimed in saying that they have no problems all have a bunch of posts, so they were likely over the limit when they needed to deal with their pictures.

chrsplmr
12-27-2012, 03:41 PM
hahhahaa ... "chimed in" ... hahaha
Seems either Delete is there ... Click Edit Post .. look at the bottom right of the text box ..
next to Save, Advanced .. Delete .. Cancel ............................ or it is not. If it is not and
someone wants it deleted .. Id say just request it from a Mod. done.
Deleting images from Edit .. will place the image (like an attachment) in a grey box at the bottom
of the post. Click Settings .. look down the list on the left .. click Attachments ... find the
image you way 'really' gone ... and delete. done.

do do do do la la la la fa fa fa fa ... hum hum hum .. hahhaha just to 'chime in' ...
I dont know why that tickled me so Zy .. hehehe.c.

RangerXP
12-27-2012, 10:27 PM
I will give it a shot. Thanks for the great attention ROG Admins.. a credit to the site. I also wanted to mention that I went back into the Crosshair forum and was unable to see the same delete post checkbox as described above and working in this thread. Not the picture delete but the delete post function. Could someone maybe take a look at that forum and see what is up.. I remember it working for me before.

Thanks,
Ranger

_
12-28-2012, 03:04 AM
I've double checked and every forum has the same permissions. The only things disabled in Crosshair (as everywhere) is delete own thread, close/open own thread and move own thread.

EDIT: It was on 'custom permissions' but this was identical to the default ones. Have set it to default now so maybe it's different (even if the options are the same)? a bug?

Zygomorphic
12-28-2012, 11:21 AM
Knowing that we have an older version of vBulletin, that would not surprise me.

RangerXP
12-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Ah - I see.. so I can delete a sub-post in theead but I can't delete the entire own-post. Well it appears that the permissions are as set. I can understand the value of preserving posts.. I will just make sure to keep them relevant - less I be immortalized to my own detriment :)

Thanks team!

nonspin
03-08-2013, 06:32 AM
I started working with vb back in 2002-ish. i kind of grew with it - so i guess i kinda know
the whole spiel like the back of my hand.

As for the albums:
- Why are new Users (less than 5 posts) allowed to create albums w/out allowing them to modify it ?
It's kinda uncommon compared to "other" boards. <- Don't get me wrong here.
Whoever thought this rule up, surely had a reason to do so. Completely justified.

It's like handing someone a calculator - with a condition:
You can use it, look at it, turn it on and off - but you cannot subtract -> until you
do something i am not going to tell you right away. Just message one of the Admins/Mods.
Not only does it confuse people it creates unneccesary workload.

VB is - with a little coding - capable of displaying all the Limitation a newUser might face.
Which directly leads me to another issue worth thinking over. Avatars.
Whoever wants to participate - wants to customise their appearance.
Right now, when you want to upload/use an avatar you get to see this:

"No Avatar Specified Avatars are small graphics that are displayed under your username whenever you post.
Do not use an avatar"

That's it. The "Custom Avatar" portion is missing -> because of the restrictions.
IF there would be a small info saying "You need 5 post to use an avatar" then there would be
no confusion, i think.
So maybe think of implementing a tiny "helper" to tell your users whenever they run into
somthing related to UserPost/UserGroup restrictions. I found out it's very worth it.
(in case a Tech needs some assistance, just let me know)

The deleting posts issue:
From experience i can say that allowing users to delete their posts whenever they want ain't that great..
because of the (again) confusion it might create. But there is a pretty logical compromise:
"time-based"-Restriction.
You can allow any User - or UserGroup - to delete their "dribble" for let's say: 60 minutes. By then
the User should've made attempts to correct that "dribble" .. After that, he/she has to live with it.
But even then you can still enable the User to point something out without going through all the
"send PM to Moderator" - "wait for Moderator" - you get the idea...
After 60 mins you switch the button. Adding "Request Delete"- instead of "Delete Post"-button would add
a simple task to the Moderators-Queue "User X requested deletion for THIS post. Delete? Move? Deny? .."
I used the "report post" function and changed it. Not only does it save plenty of time, it also doesn't
require Users to look for it, because the button is where it is supposed to be.

If you guys need anything, let me know

.nonspin