PDA

View Full Version : G74SX High CPU Usage

GinchPuppy
12-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Hello!
Recently my computer started acting up and glitching out a lot. Right now my CPU usage in the task manager is out of control, Resting at 100% most of the time. Ran AVG (which came up with nothing), check for new drivers, and did a registry fix with AVG and the problem still persists. I do use the computer pretty hard as I work in video design, but have only had it for a little over a year! Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

cl-scott
12-27-2012, 05:20 PM
What process within task manager seems to be pegging the CPU?

GinchPuppy
12-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Thanks for helping!
It just does not seem to add up. Right now, Firefox is taking the most at 288,192k.

cl-scott
12-27-2012, 05:31 PM
That's RAM consumption, and Firefox can seem a little piggish at times because of some aggressive caching it does. The CPU column will be 2 two numbers and it's often easiest to click on the column to sort the listing by that column. So if you click on that column header it will either have the processes with the highest CPU use at the top or bottom. So if you're seeing a bunch of "00" listings, try scrolling to the bottom or clicking the CPU column header again.

GinchPuppy
12-27-2012, 05:44 PM
Ah gotcha! Thanks for your help btw. Its looking like: SynTPenh.exe is hover around 12-32 on "CPU" and 7.23 on Average CPU.. Is'nt that just my touchpad?

GinchPuppy
12-27-2012, 05:48 PM
Under the "performance" tab, and under "system" the "processes" number is 94. Don't know if that helps... Thanks again.

fostert
12-28-2012, 04:44 AM
You have 94 processes running at idle? What on earth for? I suspect you're being microshafted by windows' tendency to allow any new application to run itself as a TSR. Windows is the pig; not firefox. Try uninstalling a few unnecessary programs, and run 'regedit' and remove apps that start themselves at boot (i.e. goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SOFTWARE->Microsoft->Windows->CurrentVersion->Run and delete as many keys as you have unnecesary programs that start).

If that doesn't work try this:
1) install Linux
2) mount the windows partition
3) type 'rm -rf /windows'
4) Enjoy an OS that doesn't corrupt itself further with every new app installed.

GinchPuppy
12-28-2012, 11:53 AM
Hey thanks for trying to help. Yeah, its bad, to the point were I cant really work... and I kind of depend of being able to work (sadly). I'll try the 'regedit' and see what happens... God I hope it works. Thank you again.

GinchPuppy
12-28-2012, 12:40 PM
Hmmmm, still nothing.. Im kinda lost here, can anyone suggest anything else? Thanks.

GinchPuppy
12-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Hmmm, this is interesting, I noticed that "Synaptics Pointing Device" was taking up a lot of CPU usage so I re installed it and my CPU usage is much lower and stable now. Though I am still running 92 processes in the task manager... Any tips? Thanks again!

chrsplmr
12-28-2012, 06:19 PM
Welcome to ROG

Go into Services (admin tools)
Look down the list at all that is running .. any you 'do not need'
Stop/change from auto to manual/Save ... if you are unfamiliar with these ..

Search 'black viper services setup' and read down the list of each.

best of luck.c.

GinchPuppy
12-28-2012, 11:44 PM
Hey, thanks for the tip. I went through a deleted a lot of bloat (mostly asus stuff) and for my processes down to about 78... Still not amazing.. but better.. I also uninstalled "power4hybrid" completely as I thought it might be holding back my CPU, and (its hard to tell but,) it seems like its helping some. Still running pretty bad though, and have kind of run out of ideas...