PDA

View Full Version : Asus G55VW automatic bios flash? how can this be possible?

CuBrain
12-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Hi,
I'm have an Asus G55VW(core i7 3610, 16Gb ram, GF 660, 750Gb, Windows 8), purchased 2-3 months ago, and I have a problem.
I usually use my laptop without battery, as a desktop replacement.
For several days I see a thing happening:
At startup, or restart, my laptop shows a blue screen, with the following message:
"Please plug in battery and its remaining capacity should be more than 20%. System doesn't permit flashing BIOS."

But I don't want to flash bios, and I even don't have it in mind, and no tool asked me permission to do automatic flash, especially from BIOS! What is this? how can this be possible? Has Asus G55VW some automatic bios flashing? I'm a bit frightened, because I don't know what to do. I don't want to insert battery to be sure that It's not a virus, or something, that plays me a joke like that!

Please help!

Dreamonic
12-27-2012, 06:30 PM
Uninstall ASUS Live Update.

CuBrain
12-27-2012, 06:33 PM
I have no Asus Live Update installed! My system wasn't with Windows pre-installed, I bought it afterwards and installed what I wanted. I have only Power4Gear, GameFast, Rotation Desktop and Splendid.

Dreamonic
12-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Are you saying when you load into windows, after logon screen (or boot into desktop) you get this? I was under the impression during POST.

CuBrain
12-27-2012, 06:55 PM
Yes, during post, but I have no Asus Live Update tool installed, nor used it. This happened some days ago for the first time, and keeps showing. Shall I insert the battery and allow the bios update? Is this normal?
Thx!

Dreamonic
12-27-2012, 06:57 PM
Now that I think of it...

I don't think it means you are getting automatic bios flashing or anything, It says that to warn you in case you try to flash your bios with low battery capacity as in this case, no battery detected - hence the warning (as you should always plug in for that sort of thing anyway.) Most likely there is a timer or trigger that pulls the requested warning message if it detects 1 of 2 things: low battery or no battery.

Like a backup power supply does, I would keep the battery in (in case of power outage) as the battery while being plugged in will drop on it's own until it's lower than 95% charge and recharge again back to 100%. It's what I noticed with mine anyway.

There is no cause for concern.

CuBrain
12-27-2012, 07:09 PM
Well, OK, but imagine that I use my laptop for 2-3 months (sometimes only putting it in to keep 45% battery level), always without battery, and this started a few days ago :)
You would say that GV55 has this times set: if(batteryNotDetectedFor30days == true) showBlueScreen() ?

Dreamonic
12-27-2012, 07:15 PM
You can troubleshoot it for yourself. Power off your laptop, put battery in. Let it charge fully, turn it back on and see if that warning appears.

dstrakele
12-27-2012, 07:30 PM
I have no battery installed in my G74SX and I do not receive that warning. That warning will appear only if a BIOS flash is attempted without battery or with low battery. If you don't have Winflash installed, it sounds like the EasyFlash utility in the BIOS is being activated.

If you enter the BIOS and choose to Load Defaults, then Save & Exit, does it change startup behavior?

I believe if you press F4 on startup, you enter the EasyFlash utility. Your behavior may indicate your F4 key is stuck.

Dreamonic
12-27-2012, 07:39 PM
I wonder if he's combo keying and when he restarts, that happens... because to flash, you physically have to make user input in the bios or with keys. Loading defaults may address this.

CuBrain
12-27-2012, 10:29 PM
No combo key, I don't touch at all the PC, just push the turn on button!
By the way, I always use the PC with the lid closed :)

CuBrain
12-27-2012, 10:52 PM
I have no battery installed in my G74SX and I do not receive that warning. That warning will appear only if a BIOS flash is attempted without battery or with low battery. If you don't have Winflash installed, it sounds like the EasyFlash utility in the BIOS is being activated.

If you enter the BIOS and choose to Load Defaults, then Save & Exit, does it change startup behavior?

I believe if you press F4 on startup, you enter the EasyFlash utility. Your behavior may indicate your F4 key is stuck.

You're my savior!!! It's really the F4 key, I even have in windows problem, the address bar of the windows folders were dropping down. I have spent the whole evening scanning against viruses, and this is only a key stuck. And because I use an additional external keyboard, I assume that the problem is in this one, and not the Asus laptop at all.

Thank you very much for your help, both of you!!!

Sorry about the fact that I bothered you with a question that in the end might not be to the laptop related, although I didn't know that by pressing F4 brings flashing utility.

Clintlgm
12-27-2012, 11:23 PM
Yes we all learn things from all the post

rewben
12-28-2012, 01:36 AM

nice tip! thanks @dstrakele! i don't know about this f4 key thing :)

dstrakele
12-28-2012, 02:10 AM
@Dreamonic's comment about how a key combination at startup was likely to be necessary triggered a memory of a past post by @BrodyBoy, where he mentioned using F4 to immediately access EasyFlash on startup (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?9792-G53JW-after-password-cant-enter-in-bios&p=65874&viewfull=1#post65874). I remember thinking when I read that post, "Wow! I didn't know that!"

So just monitor the posts on this forum and you can learn a lot....

Pitcher@asus
12-28-2012, 02:31 AM
so now is your problem fix or still appear?

chrsplmr
12-28-2012, 03:25 PM
Yes we all learn things from all the post

Most Excellent point .. There simply are No Stupid Questions in the end .. or
reason to apologize for asking 'any' question ..
If you don't understand something at the time of the post, chances are Others too
wondered the same ..
In this we learn, and move on ... Thank You for asking CuBrain .. Welcome to ROG.c.

CuBrain
12-28-2012, 06:41 PM
Hello again!
Actually right now I'm worried again :(
This stuck key is not from my external keyboard. It seems to be from the laptop itself. What can I do? I disabled all external devices, and this continues to happen....

Can this have something to do with the fact that for the laptop construction metal is used, and it is conducting current, so press of F4 key is simulated?

dstrakele
12-28-2012, 06:49 PM
If pressing the F4 key vigorously fails to free it, your most cost-effective choice would be to RMA your 3 month old laptop to ASUS for Warranty repair.

CuBrain
12-28-2012, 07:55 PM
If pressing the F4 key vigorously fails to free it, your most cost-effective choice would be to RMA your 3 month old laptop to ASUS for Warranty repair.

Actually the button is ok, no problem pressing or something. It's like something has to do with the laptop itself, like some inside it, keyboard contact with another component does a short-circuit or something... and generates an F4 press...

And it's not even reproducing always...

dstrakele
12-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Does Fn+F4 turn on and increase the keyboard backlight brightness if you turn it off with Fn+F3? If not, you're having a dream that the F4 key is not stuck. The key itself may move physically and freely, but if it doesn't register when pressed, it is 'stuck'.

CuBrain
12-28-2012, 08:21 PM
Does Fn+F4 turn on and increase the keyboard backlight brightness if you turn it off with Fn+F3? If not, you're having a dream that the F4 key is not stuck.

Yes, this works as expected :)

dstrakele
12-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Do you get the BIOS Flash Battery Warning if you restart now?

CuBrain
12-28-2012, 08:42 PM
Do you get the BIOS Flash Battery Warning if you restart now?

Not always, this depends. Sometimes yes, sometimes not. Now the battery is in, and it entered the flash utility as stated once :)

dstrakele
12-29-2012, 12:44 AM
That's too bad... The intermittent occurrence of the problem makes it look like a hardware issue. If you turn off the keyboard backlights and just hold down the Fn key without touching F4, does the backlight turn on and eventually increase to maximum brightness?

There is also the possibility of EasyFlash being corrupt in the BIOS (but I would think this type of issue would NOT be intermittent on startup) . You could try restoring BIOS defaults, as suggested earlier by @Dreamonic, or flashing your BIOS to another version.

Be sure to read up on this procedure as any problem during a BIOS flash may render your system unusable. It may also be one time where it is NOT advisable to use EasyFlash for the BIOS update (since it is suspected of being corrupt on your system).

CuBrain
12-30-2012, 08:27 AM
That's too bad... The intermittent occurrence of the problem makes it look like a hardware issue. If you turn off the keyboard backlights and just hold down the Fn key without touching F4, does the backlight turn on and eventually increase to maximum brightness?

There is also the possibility of EasyFlash being corrupt in the BIOS (but I would think this type of issue would NOT be intermittent on startup) . You could try restoring BIOS defaults, as suggested earlier by @Dreamonic, or flashing your BIOS to another version.

Be sure to read up on this procedure as any problem during a BIOS flash may render your system unusable. It may also be one time where it is NOT advisable to use EasyFlash for the BIOS update (since it is suspected of being corrupt on your system).

Thank you for the advice. I did restore defaults. Last few days, it's reproducing much less, and I can't catch it to check the Fn button what is the result on the keyboard light. Also, I have the feeling that it is reproducing with the lid closed. I'm using an external monitor with the laptop. The few times when I left the lid open I did not observe the thing. I thought about flashing bios, but I'm a bit afraid to do it. The laptop is not so cheap to just go and do it. Can you point to some tutorial on how to do the bios flash so to not screw the whole system?

Thx in advance!

CuBrain
12-31-2012, 11:50 AM
OK, flashed from 208 to 209, because I have read that there are too many problems with 214 and 217. Waiting another BIOS to be released. It seems that even for such expensive laptops like this G55VW work the same average programmers on it, releasing such unstable BIOS-es.

I will test some days to check if the F4 thing is reproducing and I'll drop a post here. Also, I could reproduce with lid closed and open too, so no difference.

Happy New Year! ;)

EDIT: OK, still reproducing... Damn, why me?... And I so loved this laptop... It results that this is a hardware issue... Also, I think this can be somehow related to the fact that When the laptop is starting, the sound from speakers is like a continuous squeak, but after I change in windows the volume, it becomes normal.

And I bought a separately sold wind8 OEM... so much money screwed up... disappointed at all....

Also, when this thing happens, if I press Fn key, it stops, but no keyboard light goes turns on, even if I manualy press it it works... Tested just now...

What to do...?

For Dreamonic, no, this is not from external keyboard, I already tested...

Dreamonic
12-31-2012, 11:59 AM
You said you use an external monitor... soooooo IS it possible your external keyboard F4 key is causing this? Perhaps glitching out? Did you unplug it and try only the keyboard on the laptop?

EDIT: Alright, that narrows that down.

Just going based on some other posts.. but try reinstalling your touchpad driver. ATK ones you already have done, so no need again.

Doesn't make sense if the f4 or any other key would do that, because you think if you were in a game, bind that key to something, wouldn't it start showing it was stuck that way?

CuBrain
12-31-2012, 12:24 PM
You said you use an external monitor... soooooo IS it possible your external keyboard F4 key is causing this? Perhaps glitching out? Did you unplug it and try only the keyboard on the laptop?

EDIT: Alright, that narrows that down.

Just going based on some other posts.. but try reinstalling your touchpad driver. ATK ones you already have done, so no need again.

this is not an in windows issue, it happens at boot time also, auto entering easyflash

Dreamonic
12-31-2012, 12:33 PM
I know it's just... intermittently

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?26487-F4-key-doesn-t-work-anymore

CuBrain
12-31-2012, 12:41 PM
I know it's just... intermittently

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?26487-F4-key-doesn-t-work-anymore

Really, this seems to be the same thing, or related, but how can this be possible???

Dreamonic
12-31-2012, 12:46 PM
MY suggestion would be (if you don't find an answer).... if you are gonna keep the laptop you have and not go through an RMA, then you should order a replacement KB and in the meantime, open your laptop and remove the connectors for the KB and lights. Put everything back together and use your external keyboard until your new KB arrives. That would narrow it down right there, but then... you lose the ability to RMA if it doesn't work. Haha... terrible idea..

What are you thinking of doing if you find no resolution?

CuBrain
12-31-2012, 12:52 PM
MY suggestion would be (if you don't find an answer).... if you are gonna keep the laptop you have and not go through an RMA, then you should order a replacement KB and in the meantime, open your laptop and remove the connectors for the KB and lights. Put everything back together and use your external keyboard until your new KB arrives. That would narrow it down right there, but then... you lose the ability to RMA if it doesn't work. Haha... terrible idea..

What are you thinking of doing if you find no resolution?

I really don't know... 2 years of warranty... ASUS, omg... I always respected this manufacturer, and here it is. The most expensive laptop I ever bought, and things like that. 1800$ for this crap laptop, amazing, I'm crazy, or I'll go crazy...

And the biggest problem is that I bought it in another country, so I must travel there to return it... this is crazy. Is the RMA worldwide, or country specific?

P.S. and also there is no keyboard replacement.. can't find anything on the net... even ebay

Dreamonic
12-31-2012, 12:58 PM
What's in that pipe of yours, bullsheesh? http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=5520
Out of Stock, but there is a place to buy from.

From what I've read, it seems the G55VW has a lot of problems to do with the keyboard (varying in different keys.)

dstrakele
12-31-2012, 01:18 PM
It sounds like you've run into the keyboard backlight issue when upgrading your BIOS to 209? If that is the case, you can try upgrading again to resolve it or follow the BIOS downgrade procedure in @rewben's post: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?24602-G75VW-AHCI-stopped-working&p=176342&viewfull=1#post176342. Again, anytime you change the BIOS, there is the potential your laptop will be bricked.

Either way, it looks like your issue of the battery warning on startup will not be resolved by changing the BIOS. You'll need to decide whether you want to live with it or RMA your laptop.

There are ASUS Repair Centers worldwide. The key seems to be if they will accept your laptop for Warranty repair if it was purchased in another country. Where are you located?

CuBrain
12-31-2012, 01:35 PM
It sounds like you've run into the keyboard backlight issue when upgrading your BIOS to 209? If that is the case, you can try upgrading again to resolve it or follow the BIOS downgrade procedure in @rewben's post: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?24602-G75VW-AHCI-stopped-working&p=176342&viewfull=1#post176342. Again, anytime you change the BIOS, there is the potential your laptop will be bricked.

Either way, it looks like your issue of the battery warning on startup will not be resolved by changing the BIOS. You'll need to decide whether you want to live with it or RMA your laptop.

There are ASUS Repair Centers worldwide. The key seems to be if they will accept your laptop for Warranty repair if it was purchased in another country. Where are you located?

I have no problem with backlight. It works as it should. I have problem with the F4 key that fires without press, at any time, at any moment, leading into ALT+F4 thing if I'm in a game, or program, or just putting focus on a windows folder, being unable to unfocus it. Do you know what F4 does in windows? Open a folder, and keep pushing F4, and you'll see what this does. To me this happens all the time! damn...

CuBrain
12-31-2012, 01:37 PM
What's in that pipe of yours, bullsheesh? http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=5520
Out of Stock, but there is a place to buy from.

From what I've read, it seems the G55VW has a lot of problems to do with the keyboard (varying in different keys.)

How can I remove the F4 key from keyboard? Something special, or I just pull?

rewben
12-31-2012, 02:35 PM
@CuBrain, you have some options; but first make sure you have registered your g55 at vip.asus.com; you might wanna find and scan the purchase invoice for reference later on:

1. locate a local service center: can you tell us where you are located? or, you can go to this page (http://support.asus.com/ServiceCenter.aspx?SLanguage=en) to locate the nearest service center to you. if the place is within your reach, go and tell them about your problem; from the warranty page (http://support.asus.com/Warranty.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G55VW&p=3&s=397), if i am reading it correctly, default SKUs (meaning those without customizations and straight from retailers/e-tailers) should be covered internationally.

2. if option 1 is not working, you still can order a replacement keyboard and replace the faulty one yourself. the good news is that it's relatively easy to do the job.

3. if option 2 is still a no-go, you can initiate RMA.

if possible, goto the website from which you bought the laptop from, and find out their warranty information, too. although i doubt they will help much (normally they will refer you to manufacturer warranty), but just in case there are things that you need to know before RMA.

dstrakele
12-31-2012, 10:13 PM
You can PM the OP of http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?26995-New-keyboard-for-G74SX-(spill!) with any questions you may have about DIY Keyboard Replacement.

CuBrain
01-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Hi guys,
Sorry for late reply. This thing is getting worse and worse. I'm so nervous that I can't do a thing on this PC. To stop folder F4 thing (you can check what it does), I need to press always Fn. It stops for a while, then it begins again. Also, I observed that the touchpad disable/enable button doesn't work, because right now I work without external keyboard to test the thing better, and I always touch the touch pad without wanting to do. Using external mouse though.
And additionally to this, the tumbler, or how it's called, that releases the battery from it's socket dropped off. This happened more than a month ago, but I didn't consider it to be so important. I get more and more frustrated about a laptop that cost me nearly 2000$. I always was buying cheap laptops and never had any issue. And right now I thought buying a laptop for years to come, and that's what I got.