PDA

View Full Version : Optimus and G75VX

gokica
12-27-2012, 08:15 PM
According to this thread Optimus is enabled on G75VX:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?26670-Nvidia-Driver-for-G75VX.../page2

I do not see the Intel HD 4000 in my device drivers list. I am using the Asus drivers for the 670MX under Win 8.

How to enable Optimus and if enabled how to know whether it works?

couzhub
12-29-2012, 04:26 PM
hi,

I have the same question, Optimus works or not with GPU driver available on Asus Website ? I strongly doubt it .
Thx

rewben
12-29-2012, 04:38 PM
if you're using the nvidia drivers supplied by ASUS, there should some places in the nvidia control panel that show something about Optimus, no?

couzhub
12-29-2012, 04:48 PM
I have see screenshot of another optimus laptop where you can see choice between main card or hd4000 ... but with Asus driver we have no choice offered .

gokica
12-30-2012, 07:35 PM
I do not know whether Intel's HD graphic on die will consume less power than the GTX 670MX but according to the reviews this card idles below 5W:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6276/nvidia-geforce-gtx-660-review-gk106-rounds-out-the-kepler-family/16

Keep in mind that GTX 670mx is actually GTX 660 with crippled maximum frequencies on the GPU. So if 660 idles at 5W with 0.875v (324 Mhz) and my 670mx idles with 0.837v (135 MHz) that will come close to or lower than 4W.

I bet that HD 4000 will consume about the same although I never found the exact idle numbers.

I do not miss HD4000 very much since battery life will not improve significantly obviously. But it will be nice if we have the option to try and test it as promised by ASUS.

couzhub
01-21-2013, 11:04 AM
I have found the answer here (http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-G75VX-T4020H-Notebook.86730.0.html)

"Buyers who were expecting to find Nvidia's Optimus technology in the G75VX will regrettably be disappointed. Asus does not implement graphics switching in its newest model either. The processor-integrated HD Graphics 4000 chip is always disabled. The reason for this is that manufacturers have to connect the screen with the dedicated graphics card in order to offer 3D capable models and Optimus does not yet support 3D Vision. The screen is usually connected to the integrated graphics unit in laptops with GPU switching. Asus likely shies away from the higher development and production effort at the expense of battery runtime."

gokica
01-21-2013, 01:52 PM
Thanks. I already gave up on Optimus. The GX versions without 3d 120Hz screen do not have the obstacle to have Optimus enabled.

After reading about the problems with the switchable graphic I am not so sorry for not having Optimus after all, although I would still like to have the option (to turn it on and off) just to have some more time on battery when working in Word, Excel etc..

couzhub
01-21-2013, 03:38 PM
"The reason for this is that manufacturers have to connect the screen with the dedicated graphics card in order to offer 3D capable models and Optimus does not yet support 3D Vision"

It is the case of the 3D capable not only 3D Ready i think ... nuance no ?

DirtyCodingHabitz
01-21-2013, 05:36 PM
Besides this. When are they going to release some new drivers? we are being left behind and we paid for high end machines.

gokica
02-07-2013, 02:02 PM
After so much search and reading as well as some testimonies from friends have made me write to this thread again and actually show my appreciation to ASUS for not adding the Optimus option in the G75.

It is more trouble than benefit.

My point is: we are lucky not to have it.

JwPwns
02-07-2013, 05:41 PM
i like my optimus on G46 :p havn't come across any problems yet, it's been running great. but I doubt you guys will need it for the G75 since it's more like a desktop replacement and you rarely carry that thing around without charger so battery life shouldn't be an issue at all

gokica
02-07-2013, 08:32 PM
Thank you for sharing that. I never had Optimus running on any of my computers so far.

As I read the problems arise when OCing, reading / reflashing bios and other "enthusiast level" things that we do. If one day we have it on our G75s I would pretty much like to have the option of enabling and disabling by the user if that is possible.

andiherbst
02-08-2013, 08:12 PM
I own a G75VX and according to this thread I dont't have optimus - why the hell can't we use the official nvidia drivers then?! I always thought that this is because of this optimus implementation...