PDA

View Full Version : Corrupt downloads. enough is enough

omglookout
12-28-2012, 01:00 AM
Okay so I've been having some problems with corrupt downloads. Basically any file that's above 30 MB gets corrupted and unusable. This includes software installation files, drivers, video files, and sometimes even some audio files. Video and audio files usually start off fine but without fail, it will either freeze up or just cut off into a black screen. Installation files or zip/rar/7zip files will give a corrupt message and interrupt the installation process.

I've had to use a secondary laptop to transfer over downloaded files to bypass all of the corruption. The transferred files all work fine. It is just any downloaded content that gets messed up.

At first, I thought I just had a faulty hard drive but it checked out fine. I installed a different hard drive but the problem was still there so I'm assuming it is a network adapter error?

The wifi connection never breaks or anything. I get full bars. I know its not my network speed that's causing the problem either. I get about 30 Mbps down.

I've tried the latest network drivers supplied by ASUS and also the latest ones from Microsoft. Both yield the same results.

My model is G75VW-FS71. The wifi card is an Atheros AR9485WB-EG.

I'm not sure if this is related to the problem but I have the same problem with streaming video. Basically anything other than Netflix freezes up. The timing of the freeze ups seem to be pretty random.

Sometimes the video will just end like this.
http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s326/mrjinst3r/Screenshots/SS6_zps5895c55e.png

Other times, the video will turn into a weird static looking image, turn green, and skip to the end very fast.
http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s326/mrjinst3r/Screenshots/SS5_zps3f13fca9.png

http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s326/mrjinst3r/Screenshots/SS4_zps8b95ef50.png

The streaming hiccups occur more frequently with higher quality videos like 1080p than 480p. It happens with every video streaming service excluding Netflix. Youtube, facebook video, dailymotion, etc.

Any suggestions or advice would help.

Myk SilentShadow
12-28-2012, 01:11 AM
Have you tried getting the drivers from Atheros themselves? it seems to be the only place you haven't yet looked for updates.

omglookout
12-28-2012, 01:25 AM
Woops. I forgot to add that in too. Same problems with the drivers from Atheros.

omglookout
12-28-2012, 01:31 AM
Also, it's not a browser or Flash problem which is the reason why I'm assuming it is a network card issue. I've tested with Firefox, IE, Opera, and Chrome.

Zygomorphic
12-28-2012, 01:32 AM
Sounds like a problem with Flash. Youtube is going to HTML5
<video> tags. I would recommend uninstalling and re-installing Flash and Firefox. Also, updating your video drivers may help.

cl-scott
12-28-2012, 01:34 AM
I was going to list off a few things like download "accelerators" and the like, but then you had to go and say it happens when watching YouTube videos. So now I'm left with saying you should test your RAM with memtest86+.

omglookout
12-28-2012, 01:47 AM
Sounds like a problem with Flash. Youtube is going to HTML5
<video> tags. I would recommend uninstalling and re-installing Flash and Firefox. Also, updating your video drivers may help.

That doesn't seem to be the case. Updating my drivers was the first step I took. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling Flash and Firefox. I even tried installing a previous version of Flash but no dice. Also, correct me if I am wrong but I'm pretty sure Flash has nothing to do with file downloads.

I was going to list off a few things like download "accelerators" and the like, but then you had to go and say it happens when watching YouTube videos. So now I'm left with saying you should test your RAM with memtest86+.

Yeah, I've tried those and also download managers (jDownloader) but corruption persists. I will give memtest a go.

omglookout
12-28-2012, 02:56 AM
Okay. memtest turned out no negative results. I really am at a loss of what to do. I would like to hold reformatting as a last resort...

http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s326/mrjinst3r/Screenshots/photo2_zpsf32a6ca6.jpg

cheek
12-28-2012, 05:46 AM
funnily i have that problem a few times. youtube would stop midway. although a F5 correct the problem?
check your flash version and report back. i have a feeling its flash. my is 11.4.402.265
http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html

Quasimodem
12-28-2012, 05:47 AM
Flash is built in to Chrome, so that probably rules that out... Could you try the following please?

Run CCleaner, and try again, if persists:

Reset your router to factory default and set it back up with the same settings, upgrade the firmware if a newer version is available

Open an admin-level command-prompt

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
netsh int ip reset log.txt
netsh winsock reset

Restart the computer...

omglookout
12-28-2012, 06:34 AM
funnily i have that problem a few times. youtube would stop midway. although a F5 correct the problem?
check your flash version and report back. i have a feeling its flash. my is 11.4.402.265
http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html

I wouldn't really say F5 corrects the problem. What I've been doing is if a video stream freezes midway, I would refresh the page and then seek to where it froze. But this doesn't really solve the problem. On longer videos, I would have to refresh and reseek up to 10 times on a 20 minute video.

My Flash is the latest version avaliable [11.5.502.135]. I also stated earlier that I also tried earlier versions of Flash.
http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s326/mrjinst3r/Screenshots/Untitled_zpsf405971a.png

Honestly, I can live with the video streams getting interrupted. Yeah it is a huge hassle but its not like I spend every waking moment watching internet videos. Downloaded files getting corrupted is a completely different story. I can't even download large sized drivers on this laptop to attempt to fix. The use of a secondary machine is pretty much required for good downloads..

Flash is built in to Chrome, so that probably rules that out... Could you try the following please?

Run CCleaner, and try again, if persists:

Reset your router to factory default and set it back up with the same settings, upgrade the firmware if a newer version is available

Open an admin-level command-prompt

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
netsh int ip reset log.txt
netsh winsock reset

Restart the computer...

I pretty much tried your suggestion. Cleared all the temporary files and cache. Tried a completely different router. Problem is still there..

Quasimodem
12-28-2012, 06:39 AM
I wouldn't really say F5 corrects the problem. What I've been doing is if a video stream freezes midway, I would refresh the page and then seek to where it froze. But this doesn't really solve the problem. On longer videos, I would have to refresh and reseek up to 10 times on a 20 minute video.

My Flash is the latest version avaliable [11.5.502.135]. I also stated earlier that I also tried earlier versions of Flash.

Honestly, I can live with the video streams getting interrupted. Yeah it is a huge hassle but its not like I spend every waking moment watching internet videos. Downloaded files getting corrupted is a completely different story. I can't even download large sized drivers on this laptop to attempt to fix. The use of a secondary machine is pretty much required for good downloads..

I pretty much tried your suggestion. Cleared all the temporary files and cache. Tried a completely different router. Problem is still there..

Are you able to duplicate with a direct connect, or does it work?

omglookout
12-28-2012, 06:50 AM
A direct hardline works well.

Quasimodem
12-28-2012, 06:55 AM
A direct hardline works well.

Well it does seem as though it's the WiFi card itself or the drivers... and you've tried all of the drivers... Not the same card, but I've found my Intel 6300 runs better with the driver Windows Update locates for me... have you tried uninstalling the driver, hard connecting, and letting Windows get it for you?

Could you run this command in an admin-level command prompt?

ping -n 100 google.com

any packet loss?

omglookout
12-28-2012, 07:04 AM
Well it does seem as though it's the WiFi card itself or the drivers... and you've tried all of the drivers... Not the same card, but I've found my Intel 6300 runs better with the driver Windows Update locates for me... have you tried uninstalling the driver, hard connecting, and letting Windows get it for you?

Could you run this command in an admin-level command prompt?

ping -n 100 google.com

any packet loss?

Yeah, I'm actually on the driver Windows Update got for me right now. I have 0% packet loss with a 22 ms average.

http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s326/mrjinst3r/Screenshots/Untitled_zps3e039acf.png

Quasimodem
12-28-2012, 07:25 AM
Definitely an odd issue then... I'm running out of ideas...

Could you change your router's DNS server entries to:

Primary: 8.8.8.8
Secondary: 8.8.4.4

omglookout
12-28-2012, 07:36 AM
Using Google's DNS servers effectively cripples my other machines for some reason. I'm talking extremely high pings with down speeds in the KBs. I guess I will try that and report back but it probably will not be a long term solution.

Quasimodem
12-28-2012, 07:51 AM
Possible OpenDNS then?

omglookout
12-28-2012, 08:12 AM
Okay. I tried both OpenDNS and Google's DNS. Same results.

Quasimodem
12-28-2012, 08:15 AM
And you've tried every driver version available? At this point I would suggest replacing the wifi card... I have 105mbps internet, and that POS would only give me 21 - 25 download... The Intel 6300 I have gives me 100 -110...

omglookout
12-28-2012, 08:24 AM
The signs pretty much lead to a bad card then? I just want to make sure before I make any unnecessary purchases.

Is this the 6300 card you are talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Ultimate-633ANHMW-802-11n-Adapter/dp/B0038A9HSK

Quasimodem
12-28-2012, 08:42 AM
The signs pretty much lead to a bad card then? I just want to make sure before I make any unnecessary purchases.Is this the 6300 card you are talking about?http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Ultimate-633ANHMW-802-11n-Adapter/dp/B0038A9HSKYea that's it but I recommend the 6235 instead... the 6300 has 3 antenna connectors and you've only got 2 antennas... so no matter the card you have dual band with a max link state of 300mbps... plus the 6235 has Bluetooth...

dstrakele
12-28-2012, 11:17 AM
1) What version Atheros WiFi driver are you currently running?

2) What version NVIDIA driver are you currently running?

Myk SilentShadow
12-28-2012, 12:45 PM
OK I have 2 questions, hopefully they really nail this problem out

1) Is your router auto set to run DHCP for your network connections
2) Are your connections to the router using Static or Dynamic IP's?

Zygomorphic
12-29-2012, 12:00 AM
And you've tried every driver version available? At this point I would suggest replacing the wifi card... I have 105mbps internet, and that POS would only give me 21 - 25 download... The Intel 6300 I have gives me 100 -110...

You have 105 Mb/s!!! :o Lucky duck! Those of us with less money have to live with DSL...:D

omglookout
12-29-2012, 12:36 AM
1) What version Atheros WiFi driver are you currently running?

2) What version NVIDIA driver are you currently running?

Atheros AR9485WB-EG - 10.0.0.75 - 07/21/2012
Nvidia GTX 670M - 9.18.13.1070 - 12/02/2012

OK I have 2 questions, hopefully they really nail this problem out

1) Is your router auto set to run DHCP for your network connections
2) Are your connections to the router using Static or Dynamic IP's?

Yeah it is auto set.

Connections are set for Dynamic IPs.

If it is any help at all, my ISP is Time Warner. My modem is an ISP supplied Motorola SurfBoard SBG6580.
I have already tried bridging on a Netgear router to see if that would help but no dice.

Also to the guy who PMed me. I've already tried disabling the powersaving feature for the wifi card. I tried using different broadcasting channels from the router also.
Same deal.

dstrakele
12-29-2012, 12:59 AM
From your troubleshooting results to date, it unfortunately does look like a WiFi card hardware problem.

omglookout
12-29-2012, 01:09 AM
Figured as much.. I guess some last follow up questions I have are how hard is it get to the Wifi card and does it void my warranty?

Myk SilentShadow
12-29-2012, 01:24 AM
When you swapped over routers, did you release and renew the IP address lease on your laptop to make sure the problem was indeed your card?

omglookout
12-29-2012, 01:27 AM
Of course. Release, flush, and renew with any networking changes.

Myk SilentShadow
12-29-2012, 01:30 AM
Ok just checking, not everyone knows that stuff and I figured i'd double check :) but by the sounds of it...as with everyone else who uses their Atheros Wifi card in their G series lappys...the cards suck and hopefully ASUS will pay attention and use something better for the next model in the G series.

omglookout
12-29-2012, 01:37 AM
Gotcha.. Yeah I guess I haven't learnt my lesson from having three high end machines from ASUS. Its always the little things with then that cause headaches.. First machine RMAed twice for a faulty MB. Second one, just fried up from overheating. (Not overclocked) Left the desk after I started rendering a couple videos, come back to it with the room smelling burnt. Thirdly, wifi card.........

Myk SilentShadow
12-29-2012, 02:12 AM
I understand their efforts to make a great system for a good price...but sometimes, you just shouldn't use crap hardware for certain things, Wifi being one of them. Let's just hope ASUS listens and does something about it in the future.

omglookout
12-29-2012, 02:14 AM
Well said. I always went back to them because of their build quality and design..

dstrakele
12-29-2012, 02:49 AM
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/667905-g75vw-5ghz-wireless-2.html discusses how to change out the G75VW WiFi card.

Technically, it does void your ASUS Warranty, since it is not located in a "user serviceable" area of the laptop. But if you are careful and don't damage anything (wink wink). Of course if you do require Warranty repair, you'll need to put the Atheros card back...

Alternatively, you can have an ASUS Authorized Reseller do the job without voiding the Warranty. Just be sure to save the invoice.

Quasimodem
12-29-2012, 03:19 AM
You have 105 Mb/s!!! :o Lucky duck! Those of us with less money have to live with DSL...:D

I used to work for the cable company... consider it a perk...

Atheros AR9485WB-EG - 10.0.0.75 - 07/21/2012
Nvidia GTX 670M - 9.18.13.1070 - 12/02/2012

Yeah it is auto set.

Connections are set for Dynamic IPs.

If it is any help at all, my ISP is Time Warner. My modem is an ISP supplied Motorola SurfBoard SBG6580.
I have already tried bridging on a Netgear router to see if that would help but no dice.

Also to the guy who PMed me. I've already tried disabling the powersaving feature for the wifi card. I tried using different broadcasting channels from the router also.
Same deal.

And since I worked for the cable company, I'm familiar with SBG6580... Its a Cable Gateway... If you hook another router to it, the gateway has to be placed into bridged mode or else you'll have a double NAT, and get sporadic DNS issues... Did you bridge it properly, disabling the SBG6580's internal router?

Also, that release / renew does nothing... It's only meant to try and release a bad IP such as 169 or a stuck 192 from a cable modem...

I'm still leaning towards network card...

Myk SilentShadow
12-29-2012, 04:39 AM

And since I worked for the cable company, I'm familiar with SBG6580... Its a Cable Gateway... If you hook another router to it, the gateway has to be placed into bridged mode or else you'll have a double NAT, and get sporadic DNS issues... Did you bridge it properly, disabling the SBG6580's internal router?

Also, that release / renew does nothing... It's only meant to try and release a bad IP such as 169 or a stuck 192 from a cable modem...

That's true and while my knowledge at the moment is pretty limited from my studies, I was only guessing the routers use different IP Classes internally for Home Networks and my query about releasing and renewing IP leases was purely based on the routers using different classes for IPs and hence the card would of course have to be reconfigured the quick and easy way or releasing and renewing IP's to the card..of course disabling and re-enabling the card would probably do the same thing too lol

And yeah, I think the consensus is that it is the card...unfortunately

Svetlinator
12-30-2012, 08:48 PM
check out this FAQ:
_support.asus.com/Troubleshooting/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=K53E&s=295&hashedid=fCGFt3hiSAQYMnvO&os=&no=1773_

( i used "_" in front and behind because it kept pasting the wrong link when i posted the reply )

i know it is for a different model but it helped with my G75VX
I was also ok with cable but the moment i relied only on wifi i started having connection problems. the moment i turned off that powersaving feature everything was ok

hope it works.

rob350
12-30-2012, 11:35 PM
Skimmed through the thread, im having similar problems with my G75V. Atheros AR8151 and Atheros AR9485WB-EG.

Noticed for about the last 2 weeks randomly youtube videos will play partly through then stop and start from the beginning.
As well larger sized downloads(anywhere around 100mb and up) always end up corrupt (video files and zip files). Torrent files are fine.

I have noticed flash crashing in Mozilla allot more recently (I can have 20-40 tabs open allot).

Have not made any updates recently to drivers. I have noticed for about the last 2-3 weeks I started to put my G75 to sleep at night instead of shutting it off, and after every 2 days or so my wifi would not connect (little yellow star over top the bottom right wifi status).
Other wifi routers would appear on the list but my router would not appear. It would require restarting the G75 as well as restarting the router(would kicked a desktop off the router as well that was connected via Ethernet).
Now its completely possible that its the router, it was super cheap when I picked it up about year or so ago (you get what you pay for).
Should I try updating everything? Get a different router?(any recommendations)

dstrakele
12-30-2012, 11:56 PM
I started to put my G75 to sleep at night instead of shutting it off, and after every 2 days or so my wifi would not connect..

You could have drivers that are leaking memory (could be your WiFi driver). The leaked memory is recovered only on a restart. It will continue to accumulate and cause problems if you just put the system to Sleep or Hibernate it.

If you suspect your Router, see if you can reproduce your issue when connected to a friend's router.

What version Atheros WiFi driver are you currently running? If you are not on version 10.0.0.216 or later, you should consider an upgrade.

Area 66
12-31-2012, 12:29 AM
you don't have a spare USB wi-fi donkey for try

omglookout
01-04-2013, 01:27 PM

Yes sir. I did get it into bridged mode and disabled the internal router. Also tried it with two different routers.

Every other wifi device in my household was fine with large downloads so the problem was isolated to the G75.
I had to download my video driver via my phone to bypass the corruption a couple of times..

omglookout
01-04-2013, 02:59 PM
The new Atheros driver 9.2.0.514 seems to be most stable.

I was fiddling around with more drivers while waiting for my new card. Corrupt downloads are fixed for the most part.

Youtube skippage still happen but a lot less frequently.

finalhour
01-04-2013, 04:55 PM

I was fiddling around with more drivers while waiting for my new card. Corrupt downloads are fixed for the most part.

Youtube skippage still happen but a lot less frequently.

I'd still RMA for this issue, mine never had corrupt downloads and I use the ASUS-provided driver for windows 8, never bothered to change, why fix it when it's not broken!?

xeromist
01-04-2013, 04:58 PM

Youtube skippage still happen but a lot less frequently.Still sounds like the drivers are a band-aid for a deeper issue though. If throughput isn't keeping up with wireless N speeds when it is working then it could be a sign of massive errors and having to re-transmit a lot of packets.

Quasimodem
01-04-2013, 06:42 PM
I think we can rule out driver issues... This is a wireless speedtest, a floor below the router... Intel Ultimate-N 6300

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2413784334.png

omglookout
01-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Still sounds like the drivers are a band-aid for a deeper issue though. If throughput isn't keeping up with wireless N speeds when it is working then it could be a sign of massive errors and having to re-transmit a lot of packets.

Yeah definitely. The new card should be arriving Monday.

I think we can rule out driver issues... This is a wireless speedtest, a floor below the router... Intel Ultimate-N 6300

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2413784334.png

You have no idea how much I envy you...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2416193273.png

I (http://www.speedtest.net) have no idea why it is saying that I'm 1.2k miles way from LA.

Quasimodem
01-05-2013, 08:33 PM

I (http://www.speedtest.net) have no idea why it is saying that I'm 1.2k miles way from LA.

Which card did you go with?

omglookout
01-05-2013, 08:35 PM
The Intel 6235.

diaa tharwat
01-07-2013, 03:45 AM
thank you veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy muchhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

omglookout
01-16-2013, 04:45 AM
Okay. So I installed the new Intel 6235 wifi card, installed its latest drivers and the problem is still there. Corrupt downloads and the video stream interruptions. I am completely out of ideas...

Old Atheros card.
http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s326/mrjinst3r/Screenshots/photo42_zps93548470.jpg

Quasimodem
01-16-2013, 04:49 AM
Wow man... I think you're down to re-installing the OS...

Zygomorphic
01-16-2013, 11:19 AM

I envy you...1.5 Mb/s downstream here...400 kb/s upstream...

omglookout
03-18-2013, 08:13 AM
Sorry for super late update but the new card fixed all the corruption in downstreams after the latest update. Didn't want to cause confusion for other people with the same issue if I just left the thread hanging. Thanks for all your input!

Zygomorphic
03-18-2013, 10:20 AM
Sorry for super late update but the new card fixed all the corruption in downstreams after the latest update. Didn't want to cause confusion for other people with the same issue if I just left the thread hanging. Thanks for all your input!

Awesome! Glad that the new card got everything sorted out! Please stick around so that you can help others - and ask more questions! :)