PDA

View Full Version : GPU gets up to 100C on my laptop. Is that normal?

KingCrizzo
12-28-2012, 01:30 AM
Recently my computer shut itself off while I was playing a game and I noticed the bottom felt extremely hot. I am concerned that the fans are not running like they should be and downloaded SpeedFan to monitor the temperature. I found that the GPU was getting up around 100 degrees Celsius when playing League of Legends on high settings. I have a G73SW with a GTX 460M.

Is it ok for a laptop GPU to get that hot? I am not overclocking it or anything.

Pitcher@asus
12-28-2012, 02:55 AM
please Inspection you cooling system, maybe you will clean it.
is it happen when you play other games?

dstrakele
12-28-2012, 03:07 AM
Your GPU is running too hot. The laptop will shut down around 110 C to save the GPU. See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?946-G73JH-GPU-Overheating-Observations-and-Suggestions-(Read-This-First) for more information.

You can try cleaning the fan intakes and exhausts with compressed gas, but if it fails to bring gaming temperatures under 90 C, it's likely a repaste is needed.

KingCrizzo
12-28-2012, 03:33 AM
Thanks for the responses, I was afraid of that. That link is exactly what I needed.

KingCrizzo
12-29-2012, 12:36 AM
Unbelievable. All it took was a few blasts of compressed air in the fans and now it is running around 60-65 C under load. Not even that much dust came out. I never would have thought just a little bit of dust could cause the GPU to run 40 degrees hotter.

dstrakele
12-29-2012, 01:57 AM
Congratulations! That's a pretty dramatic improvement. Perhaps you broke up a dust plug and blew it back into the laptop where it is no longer restricting airflow.

Consider making it a weekly maintenance procedure.