PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to Win 8 Pro

mdmiller
12-28-2012, 02:26 AM
Bought the BB version of the G75VW last Friday. Loving it so far. Gave the old G73 to the wife when her HP went belly up. I ordered the Intel 520 180 GB version that BB has on sale to replace the lousy 5400 original drive. That will be my first SSD so I'm looking forward to it. My question is, has anyone upgraded from Win 8 to Win 8 Pro? If so, how did that go? Did everything else remain intact? I'm thinking of doing this to get rid of the login screen. When I upgraded my desktop PC from Win 7 to Win 8 Pro I could lose the login screen vis gpedit.exe, but that is not available in the "regular" Win 8. Don't know why having to go through the login screen bugs me, but it does.

Pitcher@asus
12-28-2012, 02:38 AM
did you set accound and passowrd? if yes, i think it would be appear login screan.

DirtyCodingHabitz
12-28-2012, 03:13 AM
I'm thinking to upgrade my G75VX Win8 to Pro soon.

GottiBoi55
12-28-2012, 04:06 AM
there's four steps to remove the password in Windows 8.

Here's a link that will show you how to do this>>>>how remove login password (http://www.forumswindows8.com/tutorials/how-remove-login-password-6037.htm)

piratejohn
12-28-2012, 04:21 AM
I upgraded my new G55V to Windows 8 Pro and have had absolutely NO problems, in fact I have a LOT more control over the system since the PRO version has a bunch of administrative tools that they leave out of the "consumer" releases. I also like that PRO has BitLocker which is a great security tool that will protect your data from thieves.

Karrde
12-28-2012, 11:08 AM
Upgrade from Win8 to Win8 Pro was easy

Add Windows 8 Pro Pack or Windows 8 Media Center Pack to your edition of Windows

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.

(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.)

Enter add features in the search box, and then tap or click Settings .

Tap or click Add features to Windows 8 and then do one of the following:

- If you need to purchase a product key, tap or click I want to buy a product key online.
You will be prompted through the steps to buy a product key from there and it will be entered for you.

- If you already have a product key, tap or click I already have a product key.
Enter your product key and click Next.

Read the license terms, select the check box to accept the license terms, and then click Add features.

Done that way (I had already a PRO product key) without any problem (G75VX).

Btw. to add the free Windows 8 Media Center Pack from Microsoft * Offer valid from October 26, 2012, until January 31, 2013 (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs)
you need PRO first.

Mack 4033
12-28-2012, 01:27 PM
How do you like the W8 set up for gaming?

Thanks,
Mack4033

mdmiller
12-28-2012, 03:47 PM
All questions answered to perfection. Thanks to everyone who helped me out. This is a great forum. Happy New Year to all!

mdmiller
12-29-2012, 05:06 AM
Funny. Just went through the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant on my BB G75VW looking for the easy way to upgrade to Pro for the $40 sale price. After telling me all me apps and devices are compatible I was told that "Windows isn't available for online purchase in the country/region you're in." Thought some of you might enjoy that.

Alude904
12-30-2012, 12:45 AM
yeah i was about to reply but it took rog a while to give me access. i was having trouble upgrading from their site as well. i eventually just said screw it and bought an actual disk from the local store. i know i know, i wasted money. i actually wanted a hard copy and a physical cd key for later use. what i did was just took the stock hard drive out, put the ssd in, booted up the pc with the disc in and went through the motions from there. worked great.

mdmiller
12-31-2012, 01:36 AM
Alude904, what you did is exactly what I'll be doing as soon as my SSD arrives. Good to know you didn't have any problems. Thanks.

GottiBoi55
01-01-2013, 12:08 AM
Funny. Just went through the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant on my BB G75VW looking for the easy way to upgrade to Pro for the $40 sale price. After telling me all me apps and devices are compatible I was told that "Windows isn't available for online purchase in the country/region you're in." Thought some of you might enjoy that.

Go here and get Windows 8 PRO upgrade for $14.99 us (http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-US/Home)
They will E-mail you a "promo code" for "$14.99 Win8 PRO, you can also order a DVD (32bit/64bit) set for $14.99.
This link is for US, but you can change to your "location" in the upper right.