PDA

View Full Version : Phoebus been discontinued?! Has Asus given up on this card??

davidm71
12-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Guess as being an early adopter you take all the risks in testing new hardware. I got my Phoebus about the same time I got my new Asus RT-66U router, about six months ago, and since then the RT-N66u has had like half dozen bios updates at least. The Phoebus is still in Beta mode. Then I see that Newegg has this card in the 'Discontinued' category. Talk about a short life span!

Whats going on here?! I smell something fishy! All of us who adopted this card paid top dollar for it and it wasnt cheap. How about a new non-beta driver please?

Thank you.

dedaciai
12-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Guess as being an early adopter you take all the risks in testing new hardware. I got my Phoebus about the same time I got my new Asus RT-66U router, about six months ago, and since then the RT-N66u has had like half dozen bios updates at least. The Phoebus is still in Beta mode. Then I see that Newegg has this card in the 'Discontinued' category. Talk about a short life span!

Whats going on here?! I smell something fishy! All of us who adopted this card paid top dollar for it and it wasnt cheap. How about a new non-beta driver please?

Thank you.

Is this what you are talking about? That would really suck if it is true. Maybe an Asus rep can chime in and clarify things.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132054

dedaciai
12-30-2012, 01:14 PM
For those of you too lazy to click on the link I have pasted an image from Newegg's website. This would be ridiculous if they discontinued this product...wondering if they are going to continue to support this card. Thanks goodness mine is in great working order as I could not be happier with the sound that comes out of it for gaming.

davidm71
12-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Is this what you are talking about? That would really suck if it is true. Maybe an Asus rep can chime in and clarify things.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132054

Just ridiculous. I get the feeling the Phoebus is right behind Windows 8. Hope they don't discontinue support.

HK_sends
12-31-2012, 05:55 AM
Considering the generally positive reviews that the card has gotten, I don't think a "discontinued" status at NewEgg is a definite indicator that the card has been abandoned. The Asus sites still show it on the products page. I would wait a bit before declaring it dead.

Cheers!
-HK sends

Raja@ASUS
12-31-2012, 10:31 AM
Newegg tend to show that when products are out of stock. Newegg stocking a soundcard or not has nothing to do with ASUS support of said product. Phoebus is still current and driver work ongoing.

dedaciai
12-31-2012, 11:53 AM
Newegg tend to show that when products are out of stock. Newegg stocking a soundcard or not has nothing to do with ASUS support of said product. Phoebus is still current and driver work ongoing.

Hi Raja, thank you for the update/clarification! Yes, the Phoebus has a few 'freckles' in the software, but it is still on one of the best cards for sound with respect to gaming.

slikk
12-31-2012, 05:17 PM
The Phoebus seems to be available pretty much everywhere in Canada. NCIX etc.

Myk SilentShadow
12-31-2012, 05:22 PM
It's still available for sale here in Australia :p

But, you do have to realise...this is a RoG product, the development team is probably smaller than the team behind the Routers(maybe, idk who does what behind the scenes and am purely guessing here) And since there have been a number of issues pretty much from straight out-of-the-box the guys have had their work cut our for them....that "discontinued" as Raja stated doesn't mean it's no longer available....maybe they're getting newer cards with the latest released firmware that came out with the Beta 3.08 drivers

xjoey83x
01-04-2013, 07:35 PM
Unfortunately I will be selling off my Xonar Phoebus, I preordered a Soundblaster Zxr. In the long run i found any of the software enchancements for the Phoebus made the quality worse on my Beyer DT990s.

InnervateD
01-04-2013, 09:46 PM
Unfortunately I will be selling off my Xonar Phoebus, I preordered a Soundblaster Zxr. In the long run i found any of the software enchancements for the Phoebus made the quality worse on my Beyer DT990s.

You're better off.
the Phoebus really won't be able to fully utilize the DT990s, don't get me wrong, but with the software issues right now it's really not worth the headache.

There's about only 2 cards on the market that will do those headphones justice and that would be the Xonar Essence ST/STX and the Creative Soundblaster ZxR when it releases. Creative said mid January to late January is the expected arrival time for the ZxR.

I'll be picking up a ZxR too, as I have just finally received my own Beyerdynamics DT990s too.
I can't wait to get my pair burned in and and get some amazing sound coming out of these headphones. I heard great things about this set of headphones which made me want to drop the money on some premium studio grade headphones. I picked up the 600 Ohms version so the ZxR will drive these well. The daughter board's a little ugly with the connecting cable connecting on the side of the main card and the daughter card but whatever. I'll only be connecting the digital out for my 5.1 speakers off the daughter board and the headphones out from the main card.

Thirteenth
01-06-2013, 05:12 AM
So, because of ****ty driver support a lot of people turn (or think) to creative or another SC from asus (inculding my self). Way to go asus, way to go. I just wondering how many programmer do u have to develope the driver? Just one person?

Glasofruix
01-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Well creative are not really known for their outstanding driver support either...

xjoey83x
01-08-2013, 11:44 PM
Alright so my ZxR came in today and I am marveled at how superb the quality and surround positioning is. +1 for Creative on this one

genkifd
01-09-2013, 12:04 AM
ZXR would be good for me as i need anaolgue surround outputs.

ROG just need to get the driver right for this card - I for one is having SLI issues with Phoebus installed. love the sound quality but SLI issue is really annoying.

ozzydog153
01-09-2013, 10:00 PM
did you try the sound card in a pcie slot not designed for sli? what about the nvidia hd audio driver installed by default is that turned off

genkifd
01-09-2013, 11:40 PM
did you try the sound card in a pcie slot not designed for sli? what about the nvidia hd audio driver installed by default is that turned off

yes i have installed the sound card in all possible locations and the result is the same.

if i turn off HD audio device i have no audio at all.

ozzydog153
01-09-2013, 11:50 PM
so your using hdmi from the gforce card as your audio output ?

genkifd
01-10-2013, 12:33 AM
noop audio through phoebus

ozzydog153
01-10-2013, 12:51 AM
wow! i turned hd audio off in the nvidia control pnl because it was outputting audio through my hdmi to my monitor speakers. the only thing with a green checkbox now in playback devices is the phoebus and it is working fine except for the swapping of the front and rear channels. sounds like your nvidia hd audio and the phoebus are having a conflict. someone said choose expert when you install your nvidia drivers and uncheck the hd audio driver so it is never installed in the first place

genkifd
01-10-2013, 01:33 AM
how do you turn HD audio via nv control panel?

KILLER_K
01-10-2013, 02:12 AM
how do you turn HD audio via nv control panel?

Open Nvidia Control Panel, Click the [+] by display and you will see a "Set up digital audio" there.

genkifd
01-10-2013, 05:19 AM
cool thanks.

all indicates no audio capable display available. thats cool.

genkifd
01-10-2013, 06:57 AM
by disabling these HD audio devices I get an increase of 5 fps which unfortunatlely is still far from playable in regards to Darksiders 2. i know the game is a bad pc port but still shouldnt be getting 10 to 15fps in 5760x1080p with SLI gtx 680 classifieds. with the sound card uninstalled i was getting a minimum 48fps and max 80-90 fps in the same settings.

ozzydog153
01-10-2013, 09:11 PM
did you disable onboard audio in bios or just leave it on auto? i have had boards act up in the past if i left options on auto that i didnt need.

Nodens
01-10-2013, 09:33 PM
Well creative are not really known for their outstanding driver support either...

+1. I don't have a Phoebus but I can tell you that Creative drivers are utter crap. I am one of the 3-4 people that exposed serious issues on the Creative drivers (http://forums.creative.com/showthread.php?t=251993) a looong time ago (you'll see my posts in the thread as Nodens as well-we dissected the driver at the time because Creative was claiming there was no issue lol). Creative hardware is nice but the drivers were and still are the worst in the audio interface industry. You will find that the Reversed Engineered kx Drivers byEugene Gavrilov are the best thing you can install for your older soundblaster.

I've jumped ship at that point and bought a Xonar D2X. I am happy with it although its drivers are far from perfect (DPC latency issues) but at least you don't have "game-breaking" issues. If you think that Xonar drivers are bad..stay the hell away from Creative..

genkifd
01-10-2013, 09:35 PM
i just disabled onboard audio and unfortunately no improvements.

leaning towards driver and bios conflicting issues.

Gopher
01-11-2013, 09:30 PM
+1. I don't have a Phoebus but I can tell you that Creative drivers are utter crap. I am one of the 3-4 people that exposed serious issues on the Creative drivers (http://forums.creative.com/showthread.php?t=251993) a looong time ago (you'll see my posts in the thread as Nodens as well-we dissected the driver at the time because Creative was claiming there was no issue lol). Creative hardware is nice but the drivers were and still are the worst in the audio interface industry. You will find that the Reversed Engineered kx Drivers byEugene Gavrilov are the best thing you can install for your older soundblaster.

I've jumped ship at that point and bought a Xonar D2X. I am happy with it although its drivers are far from perfect (DPC latency issues) but at least you don't have "game-breaking" issues. If you think that Xonar drivers are bad..stay the hell away from Creative..

You should take a look at the Uni Xonar drivers for your D2X. I use them myself currently on my STX and there is an option to install it with settings that lowers the DPC latency + it uses way newer drivers from C-media than the ones Asus provide.

Nodens
01-11-2013, 09:45 PM
You should take a look at the Uni Xonar drivers for your D2X. I use them myself currently on my STX and there is an option to install it with settings that lowers the DPC latency + it uses way newer drivers from C-media than the ones Asus provide.

Thanks for the suggestion mate but I am using Unixonar since 1.01 and I'm also tweaking the driver myself as I'm doing some experimental audio stuff :)

skywalker311
01-25-2013, 03:07 AM
Hey everyone new to ROG and I want to say in my experience with newegg is when they run out of stock there a auto notify button. When it says discontinued they usually dont sale that product anymore. Which was sad cause I want to get this sound card for my new setup. I'm just going to go with ASUS Xonar Essence STX.

ozzydog153
01-25-2013, 08:57 AM
a guy just put one of these up on ebay for sale. says its to complicated lol

flaz
01-25-2013, 02:46 PM
After reading in other post that Matrix 7970 is discontinued, now here i read about the Phoebus is discontinued too...

Oh God why? :(

Raja@ASUS
01-25-2013, 03:30 PM
Newegg is not stocking the card. The card is still current - IT IS NOT A DISCONTINUED PRODUCT.