PDA

View Full Version : Does USB 3.0 work on the G75VW and is there a Bios/Driver issue.

emurach
12-30-2012, 12:37 AM
Ok last night I finnally got around to placing the ASUS G75VW on my desk. I hook it up to my ARECA ARC-5040 via USB3.0. Yet it failed to load. Tested the ARECA and the CABLE against my FIT-PC3. It work perfectly in USB 3.0 and had 100MB/s transfers.

Back to the G75VW. The in Windows Device Manager: "USB MASS STORAGE DEVICE" had a yellow triangle. Opening it up I see "Device cannot start! Code (10)." This uses the USBSTOR driver. Research code 10 errors I see most are driver related or that some piece of infomation is not passed to USBSTOR so it will not start. I play all day.

Changing USBSTOR version to new build.
Upgrade Intel chipset drivers to newest build.
Upgrading Intel USB 3.0 extensible Host Controller drive to newest build.

Just no luck. Can't get past Code 10 error.

Reading the forum I gave thought to BIOS. In the APTIO Bios - Advanced - USB Configuration - XHCI Pre-Boot Mode.
It has three setting. AUTO, ENABLE and Disable.

If you ENABLE. Win7sp1 64bit UEFI hangs in bootup, and Safe to Unplug is blank.

if you DISABLE. XHCI controller is turn off. On boot up all the ARC-5400 drive volumes appear as selection options on the BIOS bootup menu. That was not the case when in AUTO. Also the all those Volume load up in Windows 7 and I can access the volumes/drives. But, using a downloaded "USBDeview 64" I see that the ARC-5040 is connect as ANIME4 and its using USBSTOR in USB2.00 mode, the drive has a serial number and Safe to Unplug is YES.

if you AUTO (my default setting). Win7sp1 boots up. but the volumes don't appear on the UEFI BIOS selection menu on boot up pressing ESC. and they don't load up in Windows. You have the Code fault preventing startup.

Looking USBDeview here ou see that the ANIME 4 tried to connect. But it didn't and its not enabled. But we all see it does NOT have a serial number, USB VERSION is blank and Safe to Unplug is NO.

On the web Code 10 errors can be created by missing data like serial numbers

USBSTOR is a catch all driver for devices that don't have custom drivers.
Playing with driver version got me nowhere today.
My thoughts have turned to BIOS and maybe XHCI mode is not passing all the device id data here. Thus Code 10.

I'm on Bios 222 now. I was going role the BIOS back. However the ASUS EZ Flash won't let the owner role the BIOS back. I really like to test if a new BIOS broke the USB 3.0.

All users using USB MASS STORAGE DEVICE (Hard drives) on USB 3.0.
1) Are you using the USB 3.0 ?
2) Are your transfers 100MB/s or better
3) Download USBDeview 64. Run it. Is your device reporting the USB Version: as 3.0

I'd really like to collect some data here. And determine if a global issue. After all we paid for USB 3.0 and it would be nice if it was working.

If knows how I can role the BIOS back let me know?

Marshall at ASUS you might want to follow this issue. It might be a MAJOR ONE.

From USBDeview: (same in windows)
Instance ID (USB 3.0): USB\VID_152D&PID_0551\5&37f348a2&0&8
(Serial Number : )
Instance ID (USB 2.0): USB\VID_152D&PID_0551\000000296022
(Serial Number: 000000296022 )
Vendor ID: 152D
Product ID: 0551
USB Class: 08
USB Protocol: 50
USB Sub Class: 06

emurach
12-30-2012, 04:47 AM
No v1.0.6.245 is aready loaded. And not turning off UEFI.

I've Downloaded AMI newest AMIFLASH.ZIP for APTIO. Made a USB bootable dos key and installed APTIO AFUDOS on it.

I issued "AFUDOS back.rom /o" to back the current v222 rom.
Now i'm deciding the right commands to reinstall v207

"AFUDOS G75.rom /recovery /P /B /N /E" theres /P /B /N /K on MSI board example.

still researching

rewben
12-30-2012, 05:00 AM
@emurach, just use the ctrl+home combo:

1) put and rename the bios you intend to downgrade to c:\G75VW.BIN
2) press and hold left ctrl + home keys and boot your laptop
3) press and hold the combo keys until you see the easyflash screen.

emurach
12-30-2012, 07:30 AM
I've tried that. It definitely seems like Cntl + Home takes time to try to do something. But it's no dice. tried G75VW.BIN,.207,.222 and many more. From Fat USB stick to Drive C:. No luck. Phoniex tool 1.90 says Recovery name is G75VW.BIN or .207 for v207. And for 222 it's G75VW.BIN or GW75VW.222. Now I hold down CNTL + HOME and then pwr on pressed. There a noticable delay in boot on a black screen.
I see a instantace flash of led on the stick on pwr up. But no more. I do see hard drive light flashing. I was think it was scanning the hardrive myself. Yet nothing.

emurach
12-30-2012, 05:59 PM
Welp it's a new day and new toughts.
Ok lets assume Cntl+Home goes to drive C: to read the G75VW.BIN file here.
1st I pulled both hard drives. Formated a spare 3rd hardrive FAT32 and only placed G75VW.BIN on it and intstalled only it. CNTL+HOME power. Result: constant black screen. no Easy Flash. However something notable happened here. Before hold the keys you had a black screen, drive access and evential it switched to my boot manger on the EFI partition. Without drives I expect a switch to a messages request reboot and select proper drives. That didn't happen it stayed in a black screen and did nothing. Most notable. I also noted the Hardrive LED was fully bright. Notable too.

2nd No hardrives installed. USB bootable Fat32 stick with the G75VW.BIN file. CNTL+HOME then pwr. Result: INSTANT BOOT in to the stick. There was zero black screen delay here. Very interesting Focus around install hard drives.

Lets read between the lines here. Does CNTL+HOME launch EZFLASH from BIOS or is it somewhere else like the Hardrive.
Its interesting to Note APTIO AFUDOS has an efi version of the app that sit on an EFI boot partition. Does Asus somehow load EZ Flash on drive 0. And does CNTL+Home launch it? Or, I'm probably over thinking all this?

I think next with the 3rd Hard only I'll install a windows 7 plus asus driver cd. And see if USB 3.0 is still missing. Then CNTL+HOME then.

TSC-Ops
12-30-2012, 06:54 PM
once you boot into windows open task manager make sure iusb3mon.exe is running

rewben
12-31-2012, 01:40 AM
i don't understand, emurach. to me, there is no need for a usb stick when you do a ctrl+home combo.

what you need is the bios file that is located in c:\ (for me, i have C:\G55VW.BIN). what's this phoenix tool? sorry but i am really not familiar with what you're talking about.

emurach
12-31-2012, 03:26 AM
With Bios 222. Fresh Win7sp1 64bit and just ASUS Driver CD loaded. We still get the MASS STORAGE DEVICE code 10 failed to start. I would assume Asus had there Original Bios 207 / Win7sp1 64 bit working with there original Driver CD. So it even looks like its the new BIOS not passing Device ID data in XHCI mode.

In regards to iusb3 mon and all services statuses in the above test os. Heres the data:
-----------------------------------------
From run as Administrator CMD Prompt

SC query State= all > services.txt

Lists all services and there state.

iusb3mon.exe is not a service its a process

C:\Windows\system32>query process iusb3mon.exe
USERNAME SESSIONNAME ID PID IMAGE
>rock console 1 3240 iusb3mon.exe

That process is running.

Ah!!! can't attach the services.txt file here. 32K. only pictures. 15457
I zip up and attacted it.

emurach
12-31-2012, 03:56 AM
In this fresh install rewben. Placing G75VW.BIN in C:\ does nothing. I tried placing it the hidden efi fat32 partition too. Using Mountvol z: /s.
It's a no go from there also. There must be some new trick were're now missing. AMI - Aptio AFUDOS might be the only way to revert to BIOS to 207. I already used it to backup the whole firmware in the G75VW. Now reading on the web the CNTL + Home in many cases only works if the bios checksum fails. Makes sense.

Phoenix Tool is just app to work with BIOES. The 190 version reports the recovery filename if you don't know what is. Appanrantly the manufacturers are constant changing the file names. In this case phoenix tool reported is was G75VW.BIN or G75VW.207 when looking at the 207 bios file.

rewben
12-31-2012, 06:15 AM
In this fresh install rewben. Placing G75VW.BIN in C:\ does nothing. I tried placing it the hidden efi fat32 partition too. Using Mountvol z: /s.
It's a no go from there also. There must be some new trick were're now missing. AMI - Aptio AFUDOS might be the only way to revert to BIOS to 207. I already used it to backup the whole firmware in the G75VW. Now reading on the web the CNTL + Home in many cases only works if the bios checksum fails. Makes sense.

Phoenix Tool is just app to work with BIOES. The 190 version reports the recovery filename if you don't know what is. Appanrantly the manufacturers are constant changing the file names. In this case phoenix tool reported is was G75VW.BIN or G75VW.207 when looking at the 207 bios file.

ok got it :) i just downloaded the phoenix tool 2.12 and opened up the bios file and it said g55vw.bin and g55vw.209.

the weird thing is this: i am running a fresh UEFI install of w8 (the same thing was true when i was on w7sp1 BIOS install). i put my bios file as c:\g55vw.bin and did the bios downgrade (in fact i just did it last night after another attempt to try out the 217). both worked as expected.

emurach
12-31-2012, 06:27 AM
Ok had to used Asus Winflash to revert the Bios. Open the shortcut properties for Winflash added " /nodate" option. It then allows you to revert the bios on a bios update.
Results:
With my orignal SSDs installed. Driver version most up to date.
v222 > v221. Added ARC-5040 on USB 3.0 failed to load "Mass Storage Device" with USBSTOR. Code 10.
v221 > v210. Added ARC-5040 on USB 3.0 failed to load "Mass Storage Device" with USBSTOR. Code 10.
Note: A XHCI Disble option appeared with Bios v221. Previously there was Smart Auto and Enable. v222 had AUTO/ENABLE/DISABLE.
v210 > v207. Added ARC-5040 on USB 3.0 failed to load "Mass Storage Device" with USBSTOR. Code 10.

For 207 I tried Cntl+Home with c:\G75VW.BIN. No work. I'm thinking you have a orignal ASUS hardrive image for it to work. Maybe its a special app in the EFI partition (APTIO AFDOS EFI callout maybe) or the Recovery partition here. Worth all us users to investigate that. Since many of us build are own setups for scatch. Would be nice if we add to are setups.

Removed my normal SSDs. Installed the 3rd Hardrive fresh copy of Win7sp1 + Asus Driver CD applied. Still no USB 3.0 code 10.

Ok I think the next step is to get USB stick that runs in USB 3.0 and loads up with Vendor ID_152d / Product ID_0551. If it loads that might tell me some more here. Still Troubleshooting

Special Note: Anyone using Winflash. Unzip the BIOS to the folder your going to use from. DO NOT unzip and then move it with windows. Windows will add META DATA to the file image on the move and your WINFLASH will fail. Also turn you antivirus and quit all the background apps you can before using Winflash.

rewben
12-31-2012, 06:37 AM
Ok had to used Asus Winflash to revert the Bios. Open the shortcut properties for Winflash added " /nodate" option. It then allows you to revert the bios on a bios update.
Results:
With my orignal SSDs installed. Driver version most up to date.
v222 > v221. Added ARC-5040 on USB 3.0 failed to load "Mass Storage Device" with USBSTOR. Code 10.
v221 > v210. Added ARC-5040 on USB 3.0 failed to load "Mass Storage Device" with USBSTOR. Code 10.
Note: A XHCI Disble option appeared with Bios v221. Previously there was Smart Auto and Enable. v222 had AUTO/ENABLE/DISABLE.
v210 > v207. Added ARC-5040 on USB 3.0 failed to load "Mass Storage Device" with USBSTOR. Code 10.

For 207 I tried Cntl+Home with c:\G75VW.BIN. No work. I'm thinking you have a orignal ASUS hardrive image for it to work.
maybe it but a special app in the EFI partition or the Recovery partition here. Worth all us users to investigate that. Since many of build
are own setups for scatch.

Removed my normal SSDs. Installed the 3rd Hardrive freash copy of Win7sp1 + Asus Driver CD applied. Still no USB 3.0 code 10.

Ok I think the next step is to a USB stick that run in 3.0 and loads up under VID_0551. If it loads that might tell me some more here.
Still Troubleshooting

wow.. that's a hell lot of testing there :/

and, no. i am on a SSD as OS drive, not the stock 5400rpm HDD. it's a fresh install.

did you reset everything to defaults when you downgraded / upgraded your bios? also, when you had bios 222, did you disable fastboot, turned secureboot off and enable launch csm?

emurach
12-31-2012, 06:46 AM
Hey Rewben,

You running UEFI and Factory Asus Drive with the recovery partition their right? Could you mount your EFI (ESP) Partition for us and Capture the Directory/File Structure for us?

From Command Prompt: Elevated to ADMIN.
> MOUNTVOL Z: /s
> cd z:
> cd\
> Dir /S > c:\listing1.txt
> Dir /AH /S > c:\listing2.txt
then zip up those two files and post them to us as a listing.zip attachment.

It will tell if there something special in your EFI partition area. for Cntl + Home.

rewben
12-31-2012, 07:26 AM
i am running a w8 pro, fresh install, on a ssd, with no ASUS recovery partition. none of my drives are stock.

it's a default efi partition, with default structures that you can find at C:\Windows\Boot\EFI

greypigeon
12-31-2012, 07:02 PM

From original esp partition, before I did a clean windows install!

emurach
01-05-2013, 06:38 PM
Ok the the G75VW does support USB 3.0.

The issue was the JMICRON JMS539 USB 3.0 Bridging chip in the Areca ARC-5040 (ARC-5040-1 Version 1.1) raid box.

ARECA emailed me the JMICRON FwUpdateTool_v1_16_00_T2 (JMICRON) FW2033x Update Utility v1.16.00) and
JMS539_PM_255.31.3.41.22_20100805

The FW was 37K in size. A backup of the old JMS539 FW w/o 4k NVRAM is 60K and w/ 64K. With a hex editor, I looked at the bin images. All are filled "FF" padding till hex line address 1000. All end with programming at address 904B. The 37k image ended at 904B. The 60K and 64K images are filled with "00" padding till 91FF then "FF" padding to the end of the file. So it was safe to burn the 37K image.

Applied the firmware update to JMS539. The ARC-5040 can now connect to the G75VW.

Tested speeds. 100MB/s read and 49.9MB/s write. In explorer I check the box use icon verse thumbnails. In K-Lite 64's Codec Tweak tool
I unchecked all thumbnail generation for all the extentions. Backgound on this. Microsoft believes they can read all VIdeo Codecs and generate the thumbnails for the files. They can't. They do this during file handling operations. If they fail to read the file it causes long delays or hangs the file process. THey haven't fix since vista. Thats why your file transfer process is stuck at "CALCULATING" . I hung systems just by highlight a video file that os and windows media foundation couldn't read to make a thumbnail. So I just tell it not make thumbnails.

Retesting speed Write still 49.9MB/s but read became way faster than 100MB/s. In the 500Mb transfer test I couldn't check the box get the new read speed. It was done instantly. I'm still emailing Areca on the low write speed here. But reading the web. Seems the JMS539 is considered junk. I also had the ARC-5040 hang directly my first test. The USB port was flashing lites even with cable disconnected. Only cycling the power on the ARC-5040 could reset the issue. So keeping an eye on the that. There are reports on the web that the JMS539 drops the connections under heavy loads. Emailing Areca on that too.

Now for the firmware update. Read a translated post on the web. Seems USB 3.0 has some power management features that work newly design equipment but not old. If does not see it the support it would not talk to the device. Example WD RE-4 2TB drives in a ARC-5040 Raid box. The drive are older than USB 3.0. The firmware fixes that.

My advice do deep reasearch on how USB 3.0 drive achieves USB 3.0 and stay away from the JMS539 chip. We live and learn every day on new ways we can be taken. Devils in the details.

SteveK
01-05-2013, 06:56 PM
The attached link will explain the USB 3.0 issues in WIN 8. It will also explain how to fix the problem. I had all kinds of USB 3.0 Issues but they are all gone now. Speeds are incredible. Just follow the instructions and you will be all set. http://http://plugable.com/2012/12/01/windows-8-and-intel-usb-3-0-host-controllers

emurach
01-05-2013, 06:58 PM
rewbin & greypidegon,

Your zip files of the ESP (EFI) partition are interesting. greypidegon's original G75VW. There's a ASUS directory. That had to be placed there by Asus. In the second file we see that a hidden file. G75VW.BIN.

Ok now getting the picture on the CNTL + HOME. The file must be on hardrive 0 partition 0. For a UEFI setup that would be the hidden ESP (EFI) partition. And on that partition its stored in /ASUS directory (A standard storage practice in EFI ) as hidden file G75VW.BIN.

So bet if I make that directory and place the file there it will work.

SteveK
01-05-2013, 07:05 PM
[QUOTE=SteveK;206773]The attached link will explain the USB 3.0 issues in WIN 8. It will also explain how to fix the problem. I had all kinds of USB 3.0 Issues but they are all gone now. Speeds are incredible. Just follow the instructions and you will be all set. http://plugable.com/2012/12/01/windows-8-and-intel-usb-3-0-host-controllers

emurach
01-05-2013, 07:14 PM
SteveK nice web page there. But I'm running Win7sp1 64K. MS can keep there Win8 and the new design GUI.

The JMS539 does NOT support UASP. Pity there. Forums say it adds speed. Also in Win7, i'm using the Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller. But copied that web page and the two files and preserved them in my drivers directorry. Good stuff to kept there.