PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up a fairly new g75

gingles
12-30-2012, 05:51 AM
So I have a G75vw-bbk5 and was wondering how much of the additional software I can get rid of. This is purely a gaming and music laptop and will never be used for anything else. I remember reading somewhere before buying this that some people went through and cleaned it up after buying it and freed up alot of RAM and what not. Im still on 8GB of RAM but ill upgrade that ASAP. Right now there are 41 process' running using 1.75GB of RAM. The only thing I have up now are 2 windows explorer tabs and Steam.

Pitcher@asus
01-02-2013, 02:00 AM
yep, without driver all utility you don't need install if you have not used. you can install pure OS and download driver from ASUS support site.

GottiBoi55
01-02-2013, 02:27 AM
So I have a G75vw-bbk5 and was wondering how much of the additional software I can get rid of. This is purely a gaming and music laptop and will never be used for anything else. I remember reading somewhere before buying this that some people went through and cleaned it up after buying it and freed up alot of RAM and what not. Im still on 8GB of RAM but ill upgrade that ASAP. Right now there are 41 process' running using 1.75GB of RAM. The only thing I have up now are 2 windows explorer tabs and Steam.

The "clean install" may be the best way, but that all depends on if you are running Win 8 or not.
(Now that "guide" is for a "clean install" of Win7)
With Win8, you need to "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" to install most drivers.
(drivers will fail to install in most cases if not disabled}
With Win8, they use 'Driver Signature Enforcement" as a deterrent for "malware", which makes Win8 a more secure OS.
So it may be best interest to just "uninstall the bloatware" on your laptop to avoid more problems.

tkolarik
01-02-2013, 03:28 AM
Before I did a clean install on my Windows 7 G75VW I burnt the Restore DVDs. Also, and more importantly....
I found a file folder somewhere in the Windows directory structure (cant exactly remember where) a folder named "eSupport". Within it there were all the drivers and most of the software that was pre-installed. Burn a copy of that for easy re-installation.