PDA

View Full Version : G75VW - Unable to get Windows 8 Back on it- Help Appreciated

Saint Isaiah
12-31-2012, 05:04 AM
Hey everybody. I will try to keep this as short and to the point as possible.

I got the G75VW from Best Buy with Windows 8 installed. I decided to put my 120GB SSD in here, so I made a full backup of the laptop using Window's system image backup. I chose to go with Windows 7 but decided to go back to 8, but now I can't seem to. Trying to use the backup Images I made results in an error that says it's damaged or corrupt, trying to mount the backup vhdx file as a virtual drive also results in an error saying the file is damaged or corrupt, and trying to use my neighbor's full Windows 8 Pro 64-bit disk to do a clean install results in an error saying the product key supplied does not match the image being used to install windows.

I've tried calling ASUS support multiple times, all without any help. I would either be put on hold for 20 minutes to which I would hang up or I would be told I could use a Windows 8 disk which doesn't work.

So now I'm at a loss. How in the world am I supposed to get Windows 8 back on this machine without a product key or actual disk? Although I love this laptop I'm getting a bit frustrated and want to return it for a different brand.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

rewben
12-31-2012, 06:43 AM
if you haven't done anything on your stock drive (i hope you didn't), try follow this (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?26175-Help-with-Windows-8-transfer-on-G75&p=194143&viewfull=1#post194143) by DRAKON.

the full system image will not work because of the size of your ssd; and the product key is for w8, not w8 pro. so if you have w8 install disc, you probably have installed a fresh copy successfully.

Saint Isaiah
12-31-2012, 07:43 AM
Well the stock drive was completely wiped to used for my programs on W7, so that's a no go. But I have been trying a W8 pro disk which might be the problem. Just to clarify, this $1250 laptop came with W8 standard, not pro? Although I'm guessing there's not a lot of crucial features missing besides remote desktop. So I should be able to use a standard W8 disk (not pro) to do a fresh install without really any issue?

Thanks for the reply!

rewben
12-31-2012, 08:09 AM
yes, for your clarification, this $1250 laptop comes with w8 standard, no pro; it's the same as the $2,599.99 msi gt70, the price tag is high but only manage to provide a w8 :/ sad, right?

now back to the topic: correct, you should be fine if you had a w8 disk :)

Saint Isaiah
12-31-2012, 09:08 AM
Well the good news is that a standard Windows 8 disk allows a clean install. Just disappointing it only has standard since this laptop is also used for IT work. Thanks for clarifying about it being standard. I think that the $1,000,000 question though is if I buy the upgrade to pro, am I gonna have issues in the future doing a fresh Pro install?

rewben
12-31-2012, 09:32 AM
w8 is the default OS that comes with the default SKUs (previous models come with w7 home premium).

if you really need w8 pro, just get it from upgrade. when you do that, you should also be able to download a copy of w8 pro ISO file; and the product key is sent to you via email.

i have done a few times of fresh install (w8 pro); it's painless :)

Saint Isaiah
12-31-2012, 10:48 AM
w8 is the default OS that comes with the default SKUs (previous models come with w7 home premium).

if you really need w8 pro, just get it from upgrade. when you do that, you should also be able to download a copy of w8 pro ISO file; and the product key is sent to you via email.

i have done a few times of fresh install (w8 pro); it's painless :)

You were able to fresh install W8 Pro without it throwing the product key mismatch error? Odd, cause it wouldn't even let me get to the agreement when I tried to boot from a W8 Pro disc.

rewben
12-31-2012, 12:38 PM
uh? i bought mine; retail :/

Saint Isaiah
12-31-2012, 03:12 PM
uh? i bought mine; retail :/

Mine has W8 standard by default in my laptop, which means the product key is baked in the bios. When I try to put in a copy of windows 8 other than standard to do a fresh install, it tells me there is a product key that doesn't match the image being used to install windows. That's why I'm wondering that if I upgrade from standard to pro I might not be able to do a clean install with it.

rewben
12-31-2012, 03:22 PM
ok; that makes sense because you did not supply the right key; there will be no problem as long as you have the valid product key :)

Shawnnepc
12-31-2012, 05:00 PM
You actually have to install Windows 8 (normal) and then use the upgrade to pro.

It doesn't ever modify the key.

I'm not a fan of how this is setup in Win8 imo

Saint Isaiah
01-01-2013, 03:10 AM
ok; that makes sense because you did not supply the right key; there will be no problem as long as you have the valid product key :)

Well I didn't supply the key at all. The product key is embedded in the BIOS. Are you sure if I pay for the upgrade that it will allow me to do a fresh install of W8 Pro without saying that the embedded key doesn't match? Or is there a way in the bios of changing the key out for the Pro one when I upgrade?

Saint Isaiah
01-01-2013, 03:12 AM
You actually have to install Windows 8 (normal) and then use the upgrade to pro.

It doesn't ever modify the key.

I'm not a fan of how this is setup in Win8 imo

Ugh, this is what I was fearing, so I can never truly do a clean install of W8 Pro without modifying/removing the key in the BIOS, thereby breaking my warranty...Why ASUS why?!

rewben
01-01-2013, 03:47 AM
wow.. i don't expect this to happen :/ sorry for making you so confused and eventually blaming ASUS for this.

remember this: it doesn't matter the product key is embedded in the bios or not. embedding w8 key in the bios does not prevent you to install other versions of OS into your system.

ok, let me try again: first of all, there are 2 ways to get windows 8 professional on your system for now,
1. by performing upgrade via http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/; alternatively you can also get upgrades from the 'How to Add Features to Windows 8' option in w8;
2. by doing a clean / fresh install, like what you did previously, with a windows 8 pro installation disk.

for fresh install:
- by default, you should be able to perform a fresh install of windows 8 (not the professional version), without putting in any product key. to do that, you need to use a windows 8 (not pro) installation DVD/USB.
- now, in order to do a fresh install of windows 8 professional, you need 2 things: a valid product key, and a windows 8 professional installation DVD/USB.

the problem you had was due to the fact that you used a windows 8 professional installation disk, without the right product key. hence, the installation failed.

Saint Isaiah
01-01-2013, 07:24 AM
The problem with what you're explaining to do a clean install of Windows 8 Professional doesn't work in my case. I already tried several times booting from a Windows 8 Professional disk, yet I was unable to even get to the partitioning window. It automatically tried using the product key embedded in the BIOS without prompting for me to supply one, leading to the error that "the product key supplied does not match the system image being used to install Windows."

I was only able to get windows 8 installed by using a standard Windows 8 installation disk. Again, it automatically supplied the key embedded in the BIOS without prompting me to supply one.

I know that if I still have this laptop in a few years when Windows 9 is released that I will be able to instal any version of that without issue, just as I can install any version of Windows 7/Vista/XP/Server right now. However, as long as that Windows 8 key is embedded in the BIOS on my laptop, the only version of Windows 8 that I can do a clean install from is the standard edition, not pro. That means I need to either remove the key altogether from the BIOS or modify it to the key I obtain from purchasing Pro or Enterprise.

I just want the freedom of being able to cleanly install W8 Pro from the start without having to first install standard and then upgrading to Pro, but I can't seem to do that because of the embedded key. If it will help explain the issue better, I can record a video of what happens if I'm booting from a Windows 8 Pro disk to do a clean install of W8 Pro (it automatically denying me from installing because it's trying to use the standard key embedded in the BIOS without giving me any option to supply a different key). In this case, I consider it the fault of both Microsoft and ASUS.

greypigeon
01-01-2013, 10:29 AM
@Saint Isaiah
if you have a valid Pro key you can install Windows 8 Pro!
Try this:
If you are installing from usb, make sure there's NO ei.cfg file in Windows\sources dir (delete if there is one)
Same for dvd , delete the ei.cfg file and burn your iso again.

Saint Isaiah
01-01-2013, 11:44 AM
@Saint Isaiah
if you have a valid Pro key you can install Windows 8 Pro!
Try this:
If you are installing from usb, make sure there's NO ei.cfg file in Windows\sources dir (delete if there is one)
Same for dvd , delete the ei.cfg file and burn your iso again.

Neither the Retail DVD nor the ISO I have for Windows 8 Pro contain the ei.cfg file. I checked the entire disk and contents of the ISO and could not find it anywhere. I also have found a forum topic on NeoWin that confirms the ei.cfg file isn't included by default in Windows 8 ISOs or retail DVDs.

Any other Ideas?

rewben
01-01-2013, 12:13 PM
ei.cfg has different effects in w7 and w8: in w7, we remove ei.cfg; in w8 we add ei.cfg.

Saint Isaiah, can you try this? assuming you have a usb stick at x:\

1. format it with fat32;
2. copy all the contents in the windows 8 installation disk to x:\
3. go to x:\sources and look for x:\sources\ei.cfg (if it's not there create it)
4. now, you can open the ei.cfg up with notepad and replace the content with the following:

[EditionID]
[Channel]
Retail
[VL]

also, have you disabled secureboot and enabled launch csm?

edit: how come i have never faced this issue with others that did the fresh install before? maybe because they're using w7 or w8 core.

greypigeon
01-01-2013, 12:37 PM
And THIS (http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/698920-installing-windows-8-pro-over-standard-oem-your-new-win8-certified-notebook.html) link can help, like rewben explained!

Saint Isaiah
01-01-2013, 02:12 PM
ei.cfg has different effects in w7 and w8: in w7, we remove ei.cfg; in w8 we add ei.cfg.

Saint Isaiah, can you try this? assuming you have a usb stick at x:\

1. format it with fat32;
2. copy all the contents in the windows 8 installation disk to x:\
3. go to x:\sources and look for x:\sources\ei.cfg (if it's not there create it)
4. now, you can open the ei.cfg up with notepad and replace the content with the following:

also, have you disabled secureboot and enabled launch csm?

edit: how come i have never faced this issue with others that did the fresh install before? maybe because they're using w7 or w8 core.

That was the fix I was looking for! I'm guessing the modification described using ei.cfg tells the installation to not look for the volume license key in the BIOS so that I can use a different key?

This solution should be a sticky topic for others. Thank you both for the help!

rewben
01-01-2013, 03:34 PM
That was the fix I was looking for! I'm guessing the modification described using ei.cfg tells the installation to not look for the volume license key in the BIOS so that I can use a different key?

This solution should be a sticky topic for others. Thank you both for the help!

yeah that's the magic of ei.cfg; i'm glad that worked for you :)

sorry i didn't notice the issue before i re-read Shawnnepc's comment and your elaboration (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?27267-G75VW-Unable-to-get-Windows-8-Back-on-it-Help-Appreciated&p=204912&viewfull=1#post204912) lol!

the installation media (DVD to be exact) is always a potential problem. that's why i normally use USB for any installation, so that if i had issues i can always change this and that to fit my purposes on the fly.

note: if you have problem activating your copy, this (http://www.ghacks.net/2012/10/27/windows-8-upgrade-clean-install-possible/) might be helpful. good luck :)