PDA

View Full Version : Phoebus latest driver bugs.

AVtemp
12-31-2012, 05:57 PM
Wow! I`ve made it!!!
At last i manage to logon this forum.
You need to make a note here that Opera browser users can`t logon this forum!

So,i have to say that Phoebus has outstanding hardware,but very poor software right now.
I`ve found some bugs,and send them to asus support,but there is no feedback.
I don`t know,maybe my mail got to spam?

Audio Card Model Name: ASUS XONAR Phoebus

Audio Driver: ver 7.0.1.25
Firmvware: 1025
DirectX: DirectX11
CPL: 3.0.0.2
GfX: 6.0.12.118 | 2012/1/18
LFX: 6.0.12.118 | 2012/1/18

I`ve installed latest drivers "New Beta Phoebus-3.08(CR)" without any problems.

1.There is a sound bug in "Battlefield Bad company 2" multiplayer.
I dont use Dolby or Xear or DTS.
When I`m in multiplayer game,i can hear my footsteps and my gunshots only from right channel of my headset.
All other ingame sounds(from around the world and allies and enemies etc.) is fine stereo.

The same happends in "Black Mesa Source" singleplayer game if ingame sound configurated as 5.1 or 7.1
It looks like there is a bug in the center channel which represents users actions sound.
The volume of left channel is twice lower than the right channel.
In the same time other ingame world sounds produced ok,in stereo.

WORKAROUND:
While in game press ALT+TAB and choose Phoebus driver window.
Change Sample rate from 192KHz to 44.1KHz or any another and back again.
Press ALT+TAB again to go back to game.
Now everything sounds like it should.

2.While in speaker mode,remote control is not affect sound level.
Level of sound is not changing when i rotate remote wheel.

3.Are there any chance to level down the input latency?
If i choose to listen to "line in" in windows sound menu (non ASIO or VST or any sound program used)
the latency is sooo big.
My old Creative card was a way better,it has almost no latency.
Is there any chance to make "Line-in Boost" level changer?

4.ASIO Latency is BIG compare to Creative.It`s almost non-usable for VST plugins.
Why is it so?
"Sample Rate and Resolution ASIO 2.2 Driver Support :
44.1K/48K/88.2K/96K/176.4K/192KHz @ 16bit/24bit with very low latency"

5.Are there any way to hear ASIO and system sounds simultaneously?
To hear sounds from many programms in real time.
To play guitar in ASIO mode and hear music in Windows Media player simultaneously.
Can you create some kind of 'what you hear' mode like Creative did in their driver?

6.There are some problems with Asio in some programms:

Presonus Studio One (http://studioone.presonus.com/demo-request/)
No matter what settings i use in Studio one with Phoebus ASIO(latency,buffer size,etc),programm is not working.
When i press PLAY or RECORD button,nothing happens.Vertical Line, which represents position cursor,is not moving.
With Creative and EMU cards it works fine.

I love Phoebus, i am huge ASUS fan.I hope you`ll be able to make a way better driver to make this audiocard
the best. Not only for gaming,but also for home music production,cause its specs is awesome!!!

I can test new beta drivers for ASIO stability and usability in sound programms,if it will help to solve this problems.

P.S. Sorry for my English :-)

Myk SilentShadow
12-31-2012, 09:56 PM
If you got an auto reply from the Xonar Team, then you sent your email to the right place. If not, go back to the sticky and copy and paste the email address in with everything you posted above.

WTC
01-01-2013, 02:36 AM
1. About in game sound, did you turned on GX? You should ever do that.
2. The wheel only control sound volume of Headphone. (The green jack on the box).
3. The "listen to this device" in the Windows sound property page is implemented by Windows Audio system. Neither Phoebus driver or hardware have control over that. In the old days (PCI sound card, with driver implemented in AC97 type architecture) this feature can be implemented in driver, and minimum latency can be easily achieved. Nowadays (PCIe sound card with High-Definition Audio architecture) this becomes very hard since kernel mode drivers are not allowed to "touch" audio data anymore.
4. ASIO with Phoebus (for Vista/Win7/8) is implemented with "exclusive mode" stream of Windows audio, so that the ASIO component can exchange audio data directly with hardware. I believe this might be the shortest latency you can achieve under current Windows audio architecture. Have you tried to adjust the ASIO buffer length and see if there's any difference?
5. Since ASIO is using the exclusive mode, there's no way for it to mix any other streams like system sounds.
6. ASUS need to spend more time on debugging ASIO component with that particular, I guess.

AVtemp
01-01-2013, 08:52 AM
I send my letters to Xonar@asus.com and there was no auto reply from the Xonar Team.
I`ll try again from another mail box.

About ingame sound problems:
I dont use GX or Soundbeam,cause this games don`t use EAX.

There also few people have the same problem in "Thread: New Beta Phoebus-3.08(CR)"

"12-05-2012 11:18 PM
Case
New ROGer

Originally Posted by Killa
Is anyone else having issues in BF3 with a headset and your gun sounds are coming out of the right headphone?

I have this problem with both the old beta Windows 8 driver and the current pre-release beta driver. Audio in BF3
only worked correctly with the latest beta Windows 7 drivers that I used before Asus had Windows 8 drivers
available. They had other problems though so I stopped using them."

"12-24-2012 10:46 AM
Operation Nadethrow
ROG Enthusiast

The problem with the right sound in battlefield 3 can u fix if u enable XearSurround during u play and disable
Xearsurround. So u have normal stereosound. must be a sempelrate bug in the driver or something like else.
But the left sound is all the time a little bit lower than the right sound. i have to change the volume control,
there is a different to 1,2db on the left side. my doc says my ears works fine :-) and my HiFi made checked my
Headphones, they work fine too.
I use the beta driver under Windows 8 64bit with Headphones."

As for ASIO:

I play guitar and use VST plugins to change sound in realtime,thats why i need ASIO.
I know how to change ASIO buffer.

Guitar Rig 5 by Native Instruments ASIO config Panel:

Device:ASUS Xonar Phoebus ASIO device(x64)
Buffer size (in milliseconds):2
Sample rate:192000
Latency: 576 Samples
Input>6.0 ms Processing>3.0ms Output>0.0ms Overall>9.0ms

Device:ASIO E-MU 0404
Buffer size (in milliseconds):2
Sample rate:192000
Latency: 384 Samples
Input>3.2ms Processing>2.0ms Output>4.2ms Overall>9.4ms

It sound like Phoebus latency is twice bigger than Creative E-Mu.
But compare Latency in samples and Overall latency in milliseconds!
It looks like ASUS 2ms buffer size is not equally to E-mu 2ms buffer.
E-mu uses ASIO 2.0 and ASUS uses ASIO 2.2 why is there downgrade?

I use remote control box to change level of sound of my headset.And it works great.
But when i unplug headphones from remote box,sound goes to my speakers and now i can`t change level by remote box anymore.Is it so big problem to implement this feature?

Sorry for my English :-)

WTC
01-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Well, about the volume wheel on the control box, I think it's linked to Headphone sub-device in hardware. To make it also work with Speakers will require hardware/firmware/driver modifications altogether and create more confusions to users, IMHO.

chilinmichael
01-01-2013, 08:55 PM
On my install, the firmware never even updated. Didn't say anything about it, nadda. Info says 1014.

WTC
01-02-2013, 01:14 AM
On my install, the firmware never even updated. Didn't say anything about it, nadda. Info says 1014.
Which OS are you on? I've heard people having this problem while installing on Win8...

chilinmichael
01-02-2013, 01:43 AM
Windows 8! How did you guess sir? :-)

WTC
01-02-2013, 01:52 AM
Well, from what I've heard, there's a difference between Win7 and Win8 OS. Info in PCI configuration space will be cleared by Win8 after audio device disabled, which makes firmware update tool failed to read information from hardware. This won't happen in Win7 and earlier OS. I guess ASUS QA team did not pick up this problem while testing...

chilinmichael
01-02-2013, 02:01 AM
Well, hopefully once it's out of beta, it'll be fixed. It's the point of beta to find the last bit of issues, right? Asus you listening? :-)

ozzydog153
01-02-2013, 02:05 AM
bf3 sounded great before the 11/2012 beta firmware/driver update on my analog klipsch 5.1 speakers. i did get center channel voice out of my left front speaker if i had dolby game mode selected. dont think that option is for analog 5.1 so i turned it off and all is well. now after the update all explosions and gun shots are followed by a wierd digitalizes spring/boing sound. best way i can describe it sorry. didnt do it before the update. also i now hear the relays clicking on the card after the firmware update didnt hear this before.

chilinmichael
01-02-2013, 02:15 AM
I'm on the old firmware and can tell you I always hear a click upon boot. Also you have Klipsch? Jealous...couldn't keep mine running, gave them away (typical amp issues).

Myk SilentShadow
01-02-2013, 02:23 AM
Just so you guys know...the Firmware update problems aren't just limited to Windows 8...I had trouble updating the firmware on my Phoebus in Win 7

ozzydog153
01-02-2013, 02:27 AM
they still sound great! promedia 5.1 ultras bought them when they first came out. almost sold them for a set of logitech because i wanted to give dolby live a try but glad i didnt. can i go back to the old beta drivers from july even though i updated the firmware? ty

Myk SilentShadow
01-02-2013, 02:33 AM
they still sound great! promedia 5.1 ultras bought them when they first came out. almost sold them for a set of logitech because i wanted to give dolby live a try but glad i didnt. can i go back to the old beta drivers from july even though i updated the firmware? ty

Not entirely sure, but i'd imagine you can. i'm on the Beta 3.08 drivers and stuck with 1014 firmware revision...you'll just have to give it a go

chilinmichael
01-02-2013, 02:40 AM
What does the new firmware address? Does anyone know?

ozzydog153
01-02-2013, 02:46 AM
put old beta drivers in 07/2012 i believe and bf3 sounds great again no wierd digitized explosions or gun shots anymore. btw running win 7 64 bit

AVtemp
01-02-2013, 08:12 AM
For those,how can`t update firmware:
Uninstall Phoebus drivers and try to install audiocard to another PCIe slot,far away from videocard.
I`ve installed mine in the lower PCIe x4 slot and it works fine.
You also may try to install it to the second videocard slot.

I dont know what the firmware update does.
Maybe it adds license key for DTS Ultra PC 2 technology,which was implemented in latest driver?

I use 2.0 headphones.

IMHO DTS is useless,it only makes game sound worse.It`s like to use cheap reverberation.
With DTS on,you can`t pinpoint sound location at all.
I can use only Loudness Leveling for FPS.

Xear Surround Headphone is no way better.It sound cool only in Phoebus driver Speaker test.

The only one useful technology is Dolby Home Theatre v4,and only for movies.

I dont play OLD games,so no chance to test GX(EAX) or SoundRadar.

And what Phoebus`s technology sound useful for You?

AVtemp
01-02-2013, 08:31 AM
BTW i find out that my Dolby Home Theatre v4 is missing "1.Import 2.System 3.Optimiser 4.Regulator 5.Profiles 6.Export" pages on the top of the window compare to this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbvib4YEI0o
Is it some kind of bug?

dsp
01-04-2013, 06:48 PM
hmm interesting i am missing those options to

greyskull
01-04-2013, 07:49 PM
I dont play OLD games,so no chance to test GX(EAX) or SoundRadar.

I do play games that would use GX, and it makes those games crash, a lot. Turning it off, no crashing.

chilinmichael
01-06-2013, 11:41 PM
Latest Beta - With Windows 8, along with it not updating firmware (x64 Windows 8 personal confirmation, tried run as admin as well), it breaks protected mode audio, or at least seems to. Following standard steps to fix the issue (either downloading the Microsoft quick-fix or following registry key delete of disableprotectedmode and restarting the audio driver) do not work in the instance of trying to start Netflix or Hulu apps. Both these apps do indeed work with the last official driver for Windows 8, however, once you follow the steps to enable protected audio mode as outlined by Microsoft. These apps both do not work with the latest Beta driver. I suspect either a coding issue here (causing incompatibility) or the writing of something to break function since the drivers are not WHQL certified.

x7007
01-14-2013, 07:58 PM
BTW i find out that my Dolby Home Theatre v4 is missing "1.Import 2.System 3.Optimiser 4.Regulator 5.Profiles 6.Export" pages on the top of the window compare to this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbvib4YEI0o
Is it some kind of bug?

How can i have those settings ? i don't have on mine.