PDA

View Full Version : New G46 User - Review

xbi0s
01-01-2013, 12:18 AM
Hello Everyone -

Just to add details from another user's experience on the G46 I figured I would share.

I am coming from a Late 2011 15.4" MacBook Pro running Mountain Lion. My reason for switching is two fold. One, I wanted something with a bit smaller form-factor but weight wasn't really a concern. I end up traveling quite a bit for work and carry a work laptop with me so it makes it a bit easier if my personal laptop is smaller. The second reason was that I was getting sick of the lack of software that will run in the Apple environment. I was about to boot camp windows onto the laptop but didn't want to deal with it.

First, I am impressed with the build quality of the Asus laptop. This is my first Asus laptop. I used to building desktops with Asus components and always enjoyed the quality of their products.I really like the design and feel of the laptop. I did not have the track pad or monitor gap that has been previously mentioned on this forum. I read concerns of the grease build up on the metal portions where the palms of your hands sit when typing. I don't think it is any worst than what my MBP would do and show. I also am very impressed that I can have this sitting on my lap while playing some games and the laptop not feeling hot at all. The same games on the MBP would be able to have an egg fried.

The screen... Yeah, I would like to have a bit better resolution. It is a bit better than my work Dell laptop -- same resolution but better color quality. It really isn't a bad deal as I enjoy matte screens versus the gloss. In comparison to the MBP it is definitely lacking -- but that would be a given.

Thus far gaming performance has been great. With the stats on the machine it shouldn't be any issue running any software. The definite draw back is the HDD. This beast will need an SSD and quickly.

Currently, I am intrigued by Windows 8 but not really a fan yet. I am hoping I will grow more fond of it but it really is a Touch Screen operating system.

InstantGentleman
01-01-2013, 01:29 AM
Nice review, I ditched windows 8 as soon as I got my G46, if you can't get used to it, I'd suggest you do the same. I completely agree about gaming performance, playing TF2 and BlackOps II for hours and it stays nice and cool, asus did an excellent job with the cooling on this laptop. I'm going to try Farcry 3 on max settings tonight or tomorrow.

chrsplmr
01-01-2013, 02:28 AM
I am so pleased to see this. Thank You very much for sharing your review with us.
I see the concerns I personally had for this new G46 were unfounded.

Welcome to ROG ..xbios, InstantGentleman and the New G46.c.

dclanz
01-01-2013, 05:36 AM
Hi and welcome xbi0s! The G46VW is indeed a powerful lappy and I'm loving it like everyone else. I agree that it needs an SSD to maximize the potential though. Maybe as time goes on we'll see topics dedicated to customizing/upgrading/etc (we should have a G46VW group by now). Hey chris, when are you going to grab yours? J/k :p

Spidey
01-01-2013, 06:48 AM
Really want to get one now... Gotta wait till April tho.

xbi0s
01-01-2013, 01:09 PM
I haven't been a PC gamer in some years now. I switched over the consoles and would only do light gaming on the PC. My desktop is a gaming PC that I built 2-3 years ago and have left it alone since. I wanted to test out the laptop on some additional games.

1. World of Tanks - All settings to 100% would give me about 20fps in game play. I went through the gfx settings and backed out a few options and got the FPS 30+ (cannot recall the exact numbers). Either way, it was playing smoothly with no lag spikes in the graphics.

2. World of Planes - Same deal; no issues.

3. A handful of RTS on Steam were played at 100% gfx settings with no issues.

I will stand with the HDD being my only complaint. I will be looking to switch out for an SSD.

InstantGentleman
01-01-2013, 05:32 PM
just checking in, Farcry 3 played great on max settings with only very light hiccups every once in awhile, only noticeable because I was looking out for them.

Zygomorphic
01-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Nice review, I ditched windows 8 as soon as I got my G46, if you can't get used to it, I'd suggest you do the same. I completely agree about gaming performance, playing TF2 and BlackOps II for hours and it stays nice and cool, asus did an excellent job with the cooling on this laptop. I'm going to try Farcry 3 on max settings tonight or tomorrow.

Awesome to hear about the cooling system! It seems like nobody else seems to realize that TDP is also an acronym for Thermally Destructive Power. :cool: The powerful components require a good cooling system in order to run at peak efficiency in addition to preventing damage. The few non-ROG notebooks that don't throttle sound like hair-dryers or squirrel fans.

Nivaku
01-02-2013, 01:22 AM
How do you install windows 7 in this laptop?
I've been having a hard time installing, is there a BIOS setting I have to change?
I have a window 7 DvD, with an external USB dvd-rom
Windows 8 drivers work with windows 7 right?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Zygomorphic
01-02-2013, 02:09 AM
Usually, yes. They may not always install properly, so be prepared to do some fiddling. Get the nVidia drivers off the nVidia website, as well as most of the other drivers from the hw vendor's site rather than ASUS.

Disable CSM and SecureBoot.

InstantGentleman
01-02-2013, 02:21 AM
Responded to PM from Nivaku, but for anyone else looking: G46 uses UEFI not BIOS, so you'll have to format USB in FAT32 not NTFS, then drag your install files onto it, create a folder called EFI (if its not there already), then drag your files from BOOT folder to EFI folder and you should be good to go. Windows 8 drivers won't work for 7, use G75 drivers for Windows 7 from Asus website, get wireless driver from Intel website.

Zygomorphic
01-02-2013, 11:23 AM
@InstantGentleman, +rep! Thank you for pointing out the issues with the UEFI boot system. My laptop can technically boot in EFI mode, though I have that turned off. I will keep it in mind for the future.

InstantGentleman
01-02-2013, 06:24 PM
Thank you kindly, It appears most people dislike windows 8, I've been getting lots of PM's about how to get rid of it and install W7 on the G46. It gave me a lot of trouble because I had no references, I just hope I can help everyone else trying to do the same thing.

Bubu91
01-02-2013, 09:32 PM
Is I buy the g46 with freedos (no win 8 preinstalled) do I have to follow the steps above or will a usb stick made with Windows 7 USB/DVD tool work?

InstantGentleman
01-02-2013, 10:08 PM
I believe the USB stick issue is related to the G46 running UEFI, not the fact that the laptop has Windows 8 on it. Pretty sure newer laptops such as Lenovo's with UEFI have the same problem.

Bubu91
01-02-2013, 11:55 PM
Could you explain the steps more thoroughly pls on what I should do with my usb stick so I could install win 7?

xbi0s
01-03-2013, 12:15 AM
I would recommend doing a tutorial for a sticky on the subject.

Win8 has grown on me. It's a learning curve but I kind of like it. W8 was seriously made for touch screen devices. Adapting it to a non-TS piece of technology takes a bit from it's "Charm" of an O/S. I plan on keeping it installed.

Bubu91
01-04-2013, 04:35 PM
This guide is the best one in my opinion for creating and UEFI win 7 stick

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-7-Discussion/Prepare-an-usb-thumb-drive-to-boot-windows-7-in-UEFI-mode/td-p/654807

DMoore03
01-06-2013, 05:13 AM
Hey guys, just wanted to bump this one to the top. I Recently just picked up a g46vw from best buy to replace my 2011ish MacBook pro 13.3". Here is an opinion or two I have.

-Screen, don't have to say much more coming from a MacBook, the screen is REALLY going to take some getting used to, especially when they are both within viewing distance of each other lol.

-The build and size of this laptop is great, really sturdy, super sexy, stays cool, very very quiet, setting this next to my MacBook looks really nice, its almost the same size but you get another inch of real estate on the screen so that's a plus.

-Battery life is really great for browsing, won't really be doing any gaming off of the power brick, so the battery life for browsing is nearly the same as my MacBook as it is getting old and the battery is wearing down.

-Gaming, here is my gripe, and I may need some assistance on this, reading reviews on g75vw's, people are saying they are maxing games like borderlands 2 and getting 50+ fps? I find this on my g46 to be a challenge, I have everything on medium or less, native screen resolution which is nothing compared to a g75, and borderlands 2 is CRAWLING. Do I need to make some type of adjustments I'm overseeing? I'm plugged in and it says i'm on power4gear high performance mode. Or i'm I wrong in thinking this 660m at this low resolution can tear threw games? Possibly i'm to used to my i7 amd 7970 main rig and being really picky at the moment but seems as if its really chugging along. Tomorrow i'm going to download some more games off of my steam library like skyrim, max payne 3 and see what I get.

Also if you guys have any tips, i'm a first time ROG laptop owner, anything I need to do to speed up performance, update drivers etc I could use the input. Thanks ahead of time for the help! I really don't want to end up returning this to best buy because its one sexy machine! lol.

Zygomorphic
01-06-2013, 11:12 AM
@DMoore03, there is the issue with the G75, and that is the G75's with the faster 670M. The 670M gives a decent performance bump, so that is worth taking with a grain of salt. Compare the G46 and G55 together and see what happens.

DMoore03
01-06-2013, 02:42 PM
Yea but its not that big of a leap, my fps is LOWWWW almost like something is wrong. To me the 670m with 1920x1080 would almost be a wash with a 660m at 1366x768.

Edit: After downloading the new drivers and updating some settings in game and on the control panel I have found a mix of settings that work well for this. Its a mixture of high/medium, view distances fixed to medium also. I rarely have slowdowns now with the fps capped at 60fps, and vsync on, big areas are the only slowdown which I guess can be understandable.

Beginning to like this thing more and more, booted up skyrim and switched mostly everything to high settings and get a nice FPS, I think borderlands 2 is more taxing them most people think due to the cell shading look. I guess i'm spoiled because of my PC I built this year and want everything on ultra high lol. This laptop performs for its size!

Zygomorphic
01-06-2013, 08:25 PM
@DMoore03, that is very true...don't we just get spoiled...every time we turn around, we want (read "need") more RAM. Glad to hear that the computer is working out for you better and better! :)

Captainawesome
09-13-2013, 01:37 PM
@Dmoore
Hey I know this is an older listing but I thought I should give my 2 cents. You might want to make sure that the games are running off of the 660m and not the integrated graphics. if you check notebookcheck for the 660m (http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-660M.71859.0.html) you will see that this can run high except the most demanding and these fps benchmarks come from a laptop using 1080p not the g46s native res of 1366x768. You should be able to play borderlands on max with the 660m. I was able to play skyrim on high (shadows low and distance detail medium) and the fps was locked at 60fps on my g60jx (GTS 360m) and that is with HD textures.

It sounds liked something is a little screwy.