PDA

View Full Version : Serious keyboard issue, please help

Vivix7
01-01-2013, 08:50 PM
This just started today. Turn on the laptop, log in screen, type in my password ok. Desktop boots up, and all of a sudden, keyboard starts acting up. If I open a web browser, I can see that spacebar, / and ' are being "pressed" in this way " / ' / ' / ' / ' / '" over and over.

This also causes the touchpad to be somewhat unresponsive, and I can't do much of anything. However, I managed to open the Device Manager, and upon uninstalling the HID-compliant keyboard from the Keyboard section, the problem stopped, all of a sudden. As a matter of fact, I am typing this message with the keyboard that is having this issue. FN keys, backlighting, everything works normally when the driver is uninstalled. However, as soon as I Scan for hardware changes, the MS driver is reinstalled, and the problem returns. Same with a reboot.

What is going on, and what can I do to fix it?
Thanks.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, this is G75VW, Best Buy version.

dstrakele
01-01-2013, 09:07 PM
Check out this post: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?26308-keyboard-types-letter-q-by-itself&p=196875&viewfull=1#post196875. The "Easy Keyboard Logger" malware is reported to be responsible for a number of different repeating character strings.

I would NOT recommend using the Easy Keyboard Logger Removal utility offered by Security Stronghold. It could be a Trojan that installs its own malware/spyware. The manual removal procedure they provide seems overly-complicated (you only need to delete folders and registry keys containing the string "Easy Keyboard Logger") to drive unsophisticated users to run their removal utility.

Booting into a Linux "LiveCD" distribution would help determine if the keyboard issue is hardware or Windows software related.

Vivix7
01-01-2013, 09:41 PM
No such software installed. And it is a software issue, specifically the Microsoft keyboard driver. As soon as I uninstall it, the keyboard functions normally.

As a side note, before checking the driver, I wanted to take off the key and see if there was something stuck underneath, and I broke the chiclet mechanism. Ugh, great start to new year.

dstrakele
01-01-2013, 10:44 PM
For the software problem, you could try:

1) Replacing the possibly corrupt or malware-altered Microsoft keyboard driver with a known good version.

2) Installing the ASUS keyboard driver (called the "Keyboard Device Utility" in the "Utilities" section of driver downloads for Windows 7 or 8 on the ASUS website).

3) Reinstalling Windows.

Pitcher@asus
01-02-2013, 08:46 AM
try clean the KB and check asus website for download new driver.