PDA

View Full Version : Asus G75VW-AS71 blank or all white LCD screen even after RMA

Fireplug
01-02-2013, 07:43 PM
I did a search here with no clear finding of anyone else having this same issue. Here is a youtube video I made of the problem I am having:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7c9k1qzY_A

While watching Netflix, the LCD screen went completely bright white. Tried several reboots with no fix. Tried battery pull and holding down power button with no fix. Plugged an old CRT monitor into the external VGA port and got perfect picture on external monitor. LCD screen would either be off or all white. Nothing showing on LCD screen during bootup as well. Did complete restore and factory reinstall with hard drive wipe with no fix. External still worked.

Got RMA and sent unit in. Unit returned to me with LCD working. As I was reinstalling my programs had one time when screen went blank but came back after reboot. Called ASUS customer service and after discussing it we agreed to let it go for a bit and see if problem returned.

3rd day of using laptop after it had been returned "fixed" from RMA service, the screen went all white again and has EXACT same problem. Will work on external VGA port just as before. I am uncertain now whether they fixed anything at all or if it just happened to work for them at the time??? Tried to initiate another RMA this morning but was told after being on hold for a half hour that the database is down so call back later.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?

dstrakele
01-02-2013, 09:31 PM
From your troubleshooting, it looks like your LVDS cable is poorly-connected or defective, OR your laptop display is defective. Did you receive any paperwork as to what was done to your laptop on the 1st RMA?

I recommend you set up a 2nd RMA, then PM your RMA information to cl-scott on this forum and request his assistance.

Fireplug
01-02-2013, 09:50 PM
dstrakele,

Thank you so much for your response. I did receive a laptop repair summary which stated that they were able to duplicate the issue, it was repaired and the following hardware item was repaired or replaced: other : VGA- BD

Assuming that means the VGA board was replaced (though I looked inside after the return and it doesn't appear to me that there are any telltale signs of a replacement being made though they could have done a very clean job of it. (This time I have noted the serial numbers of the parts.)

I will PM him. I have received a new RMA and will pass that on. Thanks a bunch

dstrakele
01-02-2013, 10:44 PM
It appears your issue was misdiagnosed by ASUS the 1st time. If the VGA was defective, then the external monitor would display the same video issue as the laptop display. It's a shame because you had already determined the VGA was OK (had a great video of your key troubleshooting results too!) before you sent it in.

To which ASUS Repair Center did you send your laptop?

Fireplug
01-03-2013, 12:31 AM
Sent it to Milpitas, CA. The first RMA didn't actually include a video as I did that after they were unable to fix it the first time. However, after PMing with Scott, I'm not sure why the original RMA notes didn't include adequate info on what the problem was because I chatted online with a tech in great detail, and then did the same with a phone support rep then further wrote up a long narrative explaining the problem in the RMA checklist. Scott said he would pass on the info so thanks a bunch to you both.

Pitcher@asus
01-03-2013, 02:25 AM
did you send back to ASUS for RMA, how is they say, is it repair again? check LCD FPC connecter.

Fireplug
01-03-2013, 03:40 AM
It is on it's way right now back to ASUS. I will update this thread when i have more news.

Fireplug
01-04-2013, 10:57 PM
FedEX tracking reports laptop was Delivered at 9:30 am yesterday morning, Jan 3, 2013 but as of yet, Jan 4, 2013 3:00pm it is not showing up in the RMA progress website as existing in the system yet.

Fireplug
01-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Still not showing up on RMA staus page as a valid RMA and I am uncertain what is going on since the first RMA showed up almost immediately on that status page.

Fireplug
01-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Holy hell it is still broken after second RMA!!!??? Took it out of the box, plugged in battery, booted up and saw this graphics artifact:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MeogfdhVwk

This video is what I took after holding down power button after first boot to shut down, grabbing video camera and rebooting so it happened both times while booting up.

I am flabbergasted by the incompetence of the repair crew. Is their no quality control before something gets sent back out as "fixed"? Did they not even boot thew computer up even once after they "fixed" it?

I am at a complete loss here.

Fireplug
01-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Update. After a reboot screen went all black again only this time the vga port didn't even work. so stuff is now WORSE than it was before.

dstrakele
01-08-2013, 10:05 PM
So you got a #4 and #5 combo when you were 'serviced' (see http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1800-power-connector-pin-broke-on-my-G53jw&p=216679&viewfull=1#post216679).

I read in the text included with your video that ASUS "replaced mainboard and graphics card." It's hard to believe they could misdiagnose your laptop a 2nd time after all of your troubleshooting efforts and time spent to make sure they understood the problem before you sent it in AGAIN!

It reminds me of @Clintgm's case (see http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?26339-G75VW-DS72-A-Major-Mistake&p=196823&viewfull=1#post196823). Both of you did everything possible to make sure the RMA would be successful, yet it turned out to be an epic fail. It's sad - it confirms the ASUS Limited Warranty is of limited value...

rewben
01-09-2013, 03:35 AM
this is really an epic fail; with all the hints pointing to one single point of failure, and yet they chose to 'fix' something else. i am really speechless :/

akklotz
01-30-2013, 11:25 AM
Hi, I was curious as to an update on if your problem was resolved or not and how long it took. Mine just started showing signs of the same problem and I use it regularly for work and cannot have it out of commision for long =(.

Fireplug
01-30-2013, 07:14 PM
I will see my daughter this weekend (it was her laptop in college) and I will get an update. She hasn't called me yet with any new problems so, knock on wood, maybe it is working ok now.

Fireplug
02-02-2013, 11:53 PM
So my daughter says that the only problem she sees, which happens about 30% of the time she reboots the computer, is the artifact shown in this youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MeogfdhVwk

which goes away when the actual home screen comes up so it doesn't seem to effect actual usage and doesn't happen all the time. Weird error.

jimmie_sthlm
03-05-2013, 09:31 AM
My Screen just turns white or black and I have to reboot the laptop. Is your problem solved now?
I had my laptop at RMA repair for 2 month for another repair and now when I got it back I have this problem with white screen:(.

Best regards Jimmie

pathfindercod
03-05-2013, 11:46 AM
This type of service scares the crap out of me and makes me question my decision on buying/keeping an asus notebook.

Katze
07-26-2013, 04:32 PM
Did you ever get a resolution on this? After 6 months, my G75VW started going to a white screen as well and the only thing I can when it happens do is reboot. However, it never happens when I am running on battery -- only when I am using the AC adapter. I am going to file an RMA but would rather only have to do it once. I am hoping if I can provide additional information about similar issues from other users, it might increase my chance of getting it fixed right the first time.

Shawnnepc
07-26-2013, 05:46 PM
Did you ever get a resolution on this? After 6 months, my G75VW started going to a white screen as well and the only thing I can when it happens do is reboot. However, it never happens when I am running on battery -- only when I am using the AC adapter. I am going to file an RMA but would rather only have to do it once. I am hoping if I can provide additional information about similar issues from other users, it might increase my chance of getting it fixed right the first time.

You best bet would be to contact CL-Albert on the forums and have him assist you with the RMA.

The white screen issue is normally caused by a defective or damaged LVDS cable or port.

Katze
08-01-2013, 07:30 PM
You best bet would be to contact CL-Albert on the forums and have him assist you with the RMA.

The white screen issue is normally caused by a defective or damaged LVDS cable or port.

Thank you for the tip!

jenningsad
11-20-2013, 08:25 PM
I validate what Shawnnepc said. On my G75VW laptop my warantee was up when this issue started happening, so I checked the parts myself. Initially was was looking for loose or damaged cables and what I discovered is that the snap down connection for the monitors cable was not holding. this means that after time of moving, lifting, or adjusting the monitor the cable would come loose causing the screen to "white out" or "black out". I've attempted on two occations to secure it better, however this temporarily fixed the issue, however inevitably with a faulty snap down the issue re-occures. I'm tempted to purchase a replacement monotor piece to see if it will fix it, however I want to try all fix action that doesn't involve me to spend too much money.

What leads me to blieve it's not hardware on mine is simply that the issue happens when I handle my laptop, so for the original poster they may have recreated the issue during tests, but when they replaced the parts the cable may have not secured properly thus causing the issue to happen over and over once you had it. Also the problem is affected by physical manipulation (at least on mine) I can squeeze the area where the cable connects on the monitor and it would be resolved temporarily or if I tap the computer is the right position it would wiggle the calbe around cuasing the montor to react either good or bad.

Again I'm going to attempt my personal fix action to aleviate this issue, however if anybody has a definitive fix for this please let me know.

dreamcutter
01-18-2014, 04:55 AM
I have same issue, external video works no internal lcd. I checked lvta cable all connections. I am considering battery replacement since it failed at same time, perhaps its draining too much currrent from the p/s to light the screen. Otherpossiblity is the lcd bacllight has failed.