View Full Version : Repair ruberized coating

01-03-2013, 01:50 AM

I was sliding my G75v under my bed and I hit the bedpost and got a ding on the side of my laptop cover. The cover is made out of some kind of rubberized material. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me on the best way to smooth out and/or fill the ding.

Thanks for looking

01-03-2013, 02:18 AM
could you provide damage part photo? also you can take to ASUS service center to change cover, but it will spend money, it CID case.

01-03-2013, 02:42 AM
My G75 started peeling because of my backpack. Everytime I closed the zipper, it would scratch the corner of the screen. I noticed that once it starts peeling, it will get bigger and bigger. I have no solution to fixing it, but I "smeared" a little bit of crazy glue over the peeling area to prevent it from peeling any further. It's been a month and it hasn't peeled anymore.

01-03-2013, 04:02 AM
Thanks for the follow up.

It's a really small ding---about 1/3 the size of an eraser at the end of a standard pencil. Basically too small to take a picture. What I thought would work is some kind of black rubber patch and I was hoping that someone had already tried something and could give me some feedback.

What I'm interested in is:

What type of patching compound to use.

What grit sandpaper to smooth in the patch.

It's not critical that it has to be repaired; I'd just like to know how to do it for information purposes in case I have more serious issues in the future.

01-03-2013, 04:12 AM
This will work but the outcome is entirely based upon your experience. Find as close to the coat color (matte or satin black) as you can (varies in brands) in the 2-in-1 touch-up paint normally used for autos and use it to fill the "ding" and then let it cure. Then tape off the surrounding areas, and lightly sand with 1000 grit for a few passes and work your way right to 3000 grit so that it is flush with the rest of the surface area.

Should hardly notice it after that.


You could just use a sticker ... hahaha

Actually, come to think of it, PlastiDip is a rubberized paint product. Find a similar color, spray a bit on a test plate, take a fine tipped brush and dab and fill. It's easy to redo or take off once it sets.

01-05-2013, 04:13 AM
Thanks for the follow up. I'll try Plastidip and see how that works. I'll post my results