PDA

View Full Version : Problems Installing Windows 8 UEFI on G46

SlyBlueFox
01-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Ended up having to wipe my hard drive :(. So now I have my Win8x64.iso & have followed a few different tutorials to make my USB bootable for UEFI. I can see it in the boot options (UEFI:PenDrive) but it just never boots; I can get (PenDrive) to boot if I disable Secure Boot Control & enable CSM, but it installs Win8 without UEFI. After installing Win8 this way, it shows my HDD is bootable with SBC disabled & CSM enabled but not with BIOS 'Optimized Defaults' for UEFI. I have also tried setting my HDD as GPT but still nothing (used bootable USB with PartedMagic). I have tried the option "Launch EFI Shell from filesystem device' but always says 'Warning: Not Found".

If someone could help me, I would really appreciate it.

rewben
01-03-2013, 04:58 PM
1. make sure secureboot boot control is disabled and launch csm is enabled;
2. make sure your disk is GPT; you can confirm by clearing up all the partitions wiping it again, and use partedmagic to convert the disk again;
3. your usb stick must be formatted with fat32;
4. copy all the contents of your w8 iso into usb stick; that's actually all you need to do to create a usb bootable install disk with w8 iso;
5. boot with uefi:<usb.stick>

the steps above should work.

SlyBlueFox
01-03-2013, 05:08 PM
1. make sure secureboot boot control is disabled and launch csm is enabled;
2. make sure your disk is GPT;
3. your usb stick must be formatted with fat32;
4. copy all the contents of your w8 iso into usb stick;
5. boot with uefi:<usb.stick>

the steps above should work.

Have tried this; I press it (UEFI:PenDrive) & it boots in to windows setup but it is not UEFI setup. It will try & boot it, then it moves on to (PenDrive) which is why the windows setup starts. If I force boot (UEFI:PenDrive) from BIOS with the above suggestions, it goes right back to BIOS.

rewben
01-03-2013, 10:52 PM
what if you disable launch csm?

just to check, to determine your installation is uefi:
1. open the file C:\Windows\Panther\setupact.log;
2. search for 'Callback_BootEnvironmentDetect' without quotes;
3. if the line after it has 'Callback_BootEnvironmentDetect: Detected boot environment: EFI', it's a UEFI install.

SlyBlueFox
01-04-2013, 02:55 AM
what if you disable launch csm?

just to check, to determine your installation is uefi:
1. open the file C:\Windows\Panther\setupact.log;
2. search for 'Callback_BootEnvironmentDetect' without quotes;
3. if the line after it has 'Callback_BootEnvironmentDetect: Detected boot environment: EFI', it's a UEFI install.

Tried with CSM disabled & the log file says 'BIOS'.

Anyway, I did some more surfing & came across this article:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/14286.converting-windows-bios-installation-to-uefi.aspx
I followed the steps (had to do some extra steps) but it all works now. Currently can boot my Win8 with optimized defaults (CSM disabled; SBC & fast boot enabled). Do you see anything wrong with this? Thanks for the help BTW.

rewben
01-04-2013, 03:45 AM
this is the first time i see this issue :/ i am sorry i have an old model and do not have these options in the bios (csm, sbc, fastboot). i cannot reproduce the issues and help figure out the cause. thank you very much for pointing this out.

as far as i know, w8 should be able to run with your machine in uefi mode (with csm disabled, sbc and fast boot turned on). normally it starts with a UEFI installation process, and the key for successful uefi install is the gpt disk (this comes with pairs: UEFI install needs GPT disk; BIOS install can only be done with MBR disk). the only thing that i suspect is that your disk was not converted to gpt disk in the first place (apparently your disk was a MBR disk, or else the conversion should fail)

what exactly the 'extra steps' that you have done?

SlyBlueFox
01-04-2013, 04:41 AM
My understanding was this as well and thats why I went ahead and formatted the HDD as a GPT. Then I would run the setup and it would say cannot install to this partition due to it being GPT (I think the main problem was the fact it just didn't want/like to boot the UEFI Win8 setup)

I just had to do some trouble shooting on the program it suggested and on why some of the commands were not working for me; nothing major. All the steps were the same though.

Everything is working like it was out of the box now so no worries. Again, thanks for the help.

rewben
01-04-2013, 08:01 AM
yeah it's good to know that it's working for you now; no problem.