PDA

View Full Version : A few problems with my 73Jh :(

DJSherwin
06-24-2011, 12:54 AM
Hey guys,

Looking for some help here with a couple problems I've been having with my Jh.
Lately when I've been playing games I've had a problem of my computer shutting down on me. Has happened in both SC2 and Witcher2.
I looked this up and figure this is likely my GPU overheating. I read somewhere that this could be a driver issue and that I should update my display drivers. I've been trying and trying to get my drivers to update but have come to no avail.
I've updated my Bios and VBios to both of the latest versions.
Tried uninstalling my display drivers and running driver sweeper, restarting and installing the new drivers but they won't update past 8.861 and CCC won't install.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

irdmoose
06-24-2011, 01:14 AM
Try completely uninstalling your existing driver, reboot, and then install the latest mobile driver from the AMD website.

DJSherwin
06-24-2011, 05:59 AM
Tried that, as I said.. "Tried uninstalling my display drivers and running driver sweeper, restarting and installing the new drivers but they won't update past 8.861 and CCC won't install."
Thanks though.

irdmoose
06-24-2011, 06:56 AM
Bah, misread that... sorry. Am I correct in assuming that you're getting the updated driver from AMD's website? If you are, you might want to try a wipe and reinstall of your OS. If that doesn't solve the driver/overheating issue I'd contact Asus for an RMA.

Josea
06-25-2011, 02:35 AM
Hey guys,

Looking for some help here with a couple problems I've been having with my Jh.
Lately when I've been playing games I've had a problem of my computer shutting down on me. Has happened in both SC2 and Witcher2.
I looked this up and figure this is likely my GPU overheating. I read somewhere that this could be a driver issue and that I should update my display drivers. I've been trying and trying to get my drivers to update but have come to no avail.
I've updated my Bios and VBios to both of the latest versions.
Tried uninstalling my display drivers and running driver sweeper, restarting and installing the new drivers but they won't update past 8.861 and CCC won't install.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If you are overheating it could be a dust buildup Are you using a gadget like GPU observer or a program like HWinfo to monitor temps? If you are comfortable, disassemble the machine and remove any dust. Or remove the cover underneath (which covers the HDD's ) hold the fan(s) steady with a paper click, and blow some comptessed air to clean out.
If none of the helps, you may need to repaste the GPU heatsink, but this also requires disassembly. BTW just running the witcher II demo for 15 minutes got me near 90 Celcius, which is the highest temp I have seen in 15 months.

If this is not clear let us know, these issues are solvable!

Josea
06-25-2011, 02:47 AM
Try completely uninstalling your existing driver, reboot, and then install the latest mobile driver from the AMD website.
this is great advice, but sometimes the driver can be a PITA.. I can not find it now but there is procedure that Chastity suggests that involves ATI crap cleaner... Also are you running drive sweeper or CC cleaner when you remove the existing drivers? If you want the procedure I have used in the past let me know, it is about 9 steps and involves the 2 programs I just mentioned.

Chastity@ASUS
06-25-2011, 01:41 PM
Run the installer and choose, Uninstall, Express. When complete, reboot. Run ATI Crap Cleaner. Reboot. Run AMD Installer for drivers, and install normally.