PDA

View Full Version : G75VX-RH71-CA WiFi Drivers

JWaterman
01-05-2013, 04:44 AM
I'm new here, but I've used Google, the forum search bars and can't seem to find any answer to this question. I got my VX today and immediately wanted to get Windows 8 off and install Windows 7. After some searches and downloads, I finally got Windows 7 installed.

Some of the drivers (Ethernet, USB Controller) were on the driver cd provided by asus. They even included the Windows 7 & 8 driver discs. I went through both looking for a wifi driver, but to no avail. I went to the support website for both the VX and VW, tried all the wifi drivers, but none worked.

I've tried a few drivers from other sites and even some mentioned on this forum, but they still don't want to install. I'm exhausted and having a real problem with this. If anyone has any solutions, suggestions, or tips, I'm all ears.

BTW, one of my "genius" moves came from erasing everything on the drive. The OS, the Recovery, everything. So if I have to go back to Windows 8, I guess I'll have to do it from scratch, but if nothing will work with 8, then I think I just shot myself in the head because they probably won't take it back now :(

Chino
01-05-2013, 05:46 AM
Welcome to the ROG forums, JWaterman.

Have you tried letting Windows Update look for the driver? All you have to do is run Windows Update and it'll start looking for updates. Just make sure to switch off install automatic updates before doing this, so it doesn't install them all. When it's finished looking, go through the important updates then the optional updates. I'm 80% positive that it should find the correct Atheros driver. I get lazy sometimes and use this method to look for missing drivers. If it's there, just select that update. Click download and install.

If it doesn't find a suitable driver, let me know.

JWaterman
01-05-2013, 06:35 AM
Thank you for the welcome :)

I did as you requested but to no avail. I saw an update for the Intel Management software, but after a restart, nothing regarding anything with "wireless" or "atheros" in the name.

Dreamonic
01-05-2013, 06:43 AM
Is windows having trouble finding the driver for it, under device manager? Normal.

Is your Bluetooth working? If not, you may have disabled your wireless adapter and bluetooth, Console3 if installed will show this if you Fn + f2. Console3 (when installed) will also display the LED indicator for WiFi symbol on the front of the laptop.

I am using this driver (10.0.0.75) see if it will install after you enable the adapter: http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=61&system=5

If it is not showing up under device manager > network adapters, it has been disabled.

If it's a driver conflict, you need to uninstall the driver in device manager (if the adapter is found) and start over again.

It can only be 1 of 2 things.

JWaterman
01-05-2013, 03:06 PM
Bluetooth was not working. I installed the Console3 software and it popped up a little onscreen display. Showed WiFi on (yet not working) and also bluetooth (which I couldn't switch on). I went to the asus support site and downloaded the latest driver for bluetooth, installed it, restarted, and then I was able to enable both, yet neither worked.

Windows does sem to see it in the device manager, there is an entry for "BCM20702A0" (which according to Google is bluetooth), and "Network Controller", which I assume is the wifi, since the Ethernet was recognized and drivers installed.

I tried updating the software for the "Network Controller" from the drivers you specified Dreamonic, but a standard "Update Driver" didn't work, so I tried looking manually for it. Found 2 sets of drivers. One for 32, one for 64. Tried the 64-bit ones, but it comes up with a very long list of drivers and since I don't know which model my wifi card is, it was impossible to install the right one.

Stuck again for the moment but keeping up hope :)

Chino
01-05-2013, 04:15 PM
Download and install DriverMax (http://www.innovative-sol.com/drivermax/). It's a free program. There's an option to identify unknown devices in it. See if that can ID the model of your Wifi card. DriverMax also has an option to download an appropriate driver if you wish.

JWaterman
01-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Downloaded and installed DriverMax, made an account, and let it scan. It found an update for the Gigabit LAN Card and the Bluetooth module, but nothing for the WLAN. Tried scanning the computer to see if it could identify the WLAN card, but it just says "WLAN".

Chino
01-05-2013, 05:54 PM
It's amazing that not even DriverMax picks it up.

I tried updating the software for the "Network Controller" from the drivers you specified Dreamonic, but a standard "Update Driver" didn't work, so I tried looking manually for it. Found 2 sets of drivers. One for 32, one for 64. Tried the 64-bit ones, but it comes up with a very long list of drivers and since I don't know which model my wifi card is, it was impossible to install the right one.

Look for AR9485WB-EG. I think that's the model.

JWaterman
01-07-2013, 05:16 AM
So I told it to install that particular driver and it still refuses to function...beginning to think Atheros made a card just for this particular laptop so there is no driver for it lol.

Dreamonic
01-07-2013, 05:26 AM
So does it take the driver, but still doesn't function? If that's the case, it should say something is disabled or error code under that adapter in device manager. If it took it and no error is displayed, it's something else interfering with it, possible a running service.

Possible the I/0 Interface Security in the bios has wireless locked?

Pitcher@asus
01-07-2013, 06:01 AM
Are you able to see the device in device manager? if yes, when you install wifi driver and sure it is enable, but still can not work, i think you should sent to ASUS service center to check it out, or you can dismantle laptop to check it by youself, but i am suggesting you take to ASUS service center to check it out when you in warranty.

DAN16M
01-08-2013, 01:43 AM
Having exactly the same problem with my one currently using an external adapter until some one comes up with a fix as I've tried every thing in this forum. im wondering if the adapter is only compatible with windows 8 at this stage. :(

JWaterman
01-16-2013, 09:12 AM
Thank you for all the different steps in trying to resolve this issue, but after a few tries of different steps without success, I just cut my losses, wiped the drive, and told the store it came without an OS. They just swapped it out for another one. Still want to get WIndows 7, but I think I might just get another hard drive and install it there instead. Covers my butt in case something goes wrong ;)

Individ
01-17-2013, 12:27 AM
Has anyone out there been able to install WiFi drivers successfully on a VX in Windows 7????? I'm very curious about this as I plan to dual boot Win7/Win8 eventually.

BuLaXa
01-17-2013, 01:23 AM
I still have this problem. I have a G75VX, downgraded to windows 7 and I can't find the drivers for wi-fi... It would be so much simpler if Asus just released drivers for windows 7 for the VX...

rewben
01-17-2013, 01:28 AM
Has anyone out there been able to install WiFi drivers successfully on a VX in Windows 7????? I'm very curious about this as I plan to dual boot Win7/Win8 eventually.

our friend here try install w8 driver on w7 (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?27672-fn-f9-not-working-everything-else-does.&p=211653&viewfull=1#post211653), but failed.

JWaterman
01-17-2013, 02:06 PM
I still have this problem. I have a G75VX, downgraded to windows 7 and I can't find the drivers for wi-fi... It would be so much simpler if Asus just released drivers for windows 7 for the VX...

Comes with both a Windows 7 and 8 driver disc. I should call or chat with ASUS what is up with that since most of the drivers for WIndows 7 don't work...especially the wi-fi drivers.

BuLaXa
01-17-2013, 03:48 PM
Comes with both a Windows 7 and 8 driver disc. I should call or chat with ASUS what is up with that since most of the drivers for WIndows 7 don't work...especially the wi-fi drivers.

Well, in my disc it says "This disc supports windows 8 x64-bit only"...
Pretty much all of the drivers I got were online.

But yes, please chat with Asus :) Me and a whole bunch of other people would really appreciate it!

JWaterman
01-17-2013, 11:21 PM
Yeah, I got the same disc, but also another that says "This disc supports Windows 7 x64-bit only", so by including a driver disc for Win7, my guess is that it is at least possible that Windows 7 in supported, and I'd like to ask ASUS about it; If it's possible, and how to do it.

BuLaXa
01-17-2013, 11:28 PM
Yeah, I got the same disc, but also another that says "This disc supports Windows 7 x64-bit only", so by including a driver disc for Win7, my guess is that it is at least possible that Windows 7 in supported, and I'd like to ask ASUS about it; If it's possible, and how to do it.

I only got one disc, the windows 8 one... :/ but if you got that it's possible! (also, I have it installed, so it is definitely possible, lol... :P )

JWaterman
01-18-2013, 12:42 AM
Would love to hear how you managed to get it installed. I just talked to an ASUS tech about it and they said it's possible since both discs came with my machine, but that it's not possible because of the GPT formatting. Maybe I should call HP or Dell instead lol.

Individ
01-18-2013, 12:54 AM
Would love to hear how you managed to get it installed. I just talked to an ASUS tech about it and they said it's possible since both discs came with my machine, but that it's not possible because of the GPT formatting. Maybe I should call HP or Dell instead lol.

LOL meaning if it was formatted MBR that the driver would somehow work???

I only got one disc, the windows 8 one... :/ but if you got that it's possible! (also, I have it installed, so it is definitely possible, lol... :P )

You have the win 7 driver installed? Did you get the WiFi card working then?

BuLaXa
01-20-2013, 03:29 AM
You have the win 7 driver installed? Did you get the WiFi card working then?

I don't have my wifi working. I have everything working on my G75VX except for wifi and fn+f9.

jimmyjames
01-21-2013, 01:27 AM
has anyone found a driver for the wifi on windows 7 yet?

BuLaXa
01-21-2013, 02:09 AM
has anyone found a driver for the wifi on windows 7 yet?

no, I don't think so. Not that I know of, anyway.

JWaterman
02-04-2013, 08:09 PM
I'm still hanging on to hope that there will be that one post that solves the problem for everyone having this problem. I'll keep checking around and will post if anything comes up. Still wanting to try the option of removing the drive, swapping in a new one, installing 7, and messing around with it. Would at least guarantee that the laptop will function if Windows 7 is a total loss on this model.

BuLaXa
02-12-2013, 06:39 PM
I'm still hanging on to hope that there will be that one post that solves the problem for everyone having this problem. I'll keep checking around and will post if anything comes up.

Same thing here, still waiting for this problem to be fixed... :/ I hope it is fixed soon not only the network adapter problem, but the fn+f9 as well, I'm tired of writing and finding myself writing on another random place because I clicked on the mousepad with the palm of my hand... SO ANNOYING!

Individ
02-13-2013, 11:46 AM
I'm still hanging on to hope that there will be that one post that solves the problem for everyone having this problem. I'll keep checking around and will post if anything comes up. Still wanting to try the option of removing the drive, swapping in a new one, installing 7, and messing around with it. Would at least guarantee that the laptop will function if Windows 7 is a total loss on this model.

I believe BuLaxa has the 802.11 ac wifi card (which is "cutting edge" and therefore no "legacy" driver compatible with win7 atm). However, I have the G75VX-DH72-CA model which has the same wifi card as yours I believe, and I was able to install the win7 driver from the cd that came with and get it working. The folder should be titled "Atheros". Try uninstalling any current drivers you have installed for the WLAN, rebooting, and installing the one from the cd in that folder.

cjonash
02-17-2013, 01:55 AM
Same thing here, still waiting for this problem to be fixed... :/ I hope it is fixed soon not only the network adapter problem, but the fn+f9 as well, I'm tired of writing and finding myself writing on another random place because I clicked on the mousepad with the palm of my hand... SO ANNOYING!
I managed to get tne fn+F9 to work by installing the touchpad driver from the supplied CD (it is the Win 8 version, but it also works for Win 7). I just run the install exe-file.

BuLaXa
02-18-2013, 12:54 AM
I managed to get tne fn+F9 to work by installing the touchpad driver from the supplied CD (it is the Win 8 version, but it also works for Win 7). I just run the install exe-file.

it... it works.... IT WORKS, GUYS!!!!!!! YEEAAAHHHHHH **** YEAH IT FREAKING WORKS!!! thank you so much. There is a thread only about this, I will be sure to post the solution in there. You, Sir, are a life savior. OK now I just have to wait and try and find a wi-fi driver that works...

cjonash
02-18-2013, 01:35 AM
OK now I just have to wait and try and find a wi-fi driver that works...
I gave up on that; I even tried to modify the driver installation file because when you look into the file it seems like it could have support for Win 7. But no success...

Now I have replaced my wi-fi board with a board from another pc. The first one I tried was an Intel 2230 card (wi-fi and bluetooth), but with that I could only get the bluetooth to work; the wlan did not even show up in the device manager. Then I tried a board from an old Asus eee-pc, and that worked fine (windows 7 even fould the driver itself). However, that card has no bluetooth but I rather have working wi-fi than a non-working card with both!

I really hope Asus could supply us with a Win 7 driver for this new card!

slaughter71
03-23-2013, 03:57 PM
ok i just but this laptop during last week,and found myself to this website/forum.

***** I GOT THE Wireless adapter to work, BUT, NOT THE BT!!!

anywho,,
the adapter is a Broadcom 802.11 AC.
Now for starters, the only drivers i could get to work are for the ironic!! the new Asus 802.11 AC adapter. lol
hey atleast it works,,,but whats funny is even asus tech support couldnt figure that out,,it took one nerd 1 day of owning the laptop who thinks win 8 should be left for tablets only and prefers win 7 ultimate better. ya enjoy ppls.
use the ASUS PCE-AC66 driver 6.30.95.26 version of the driver for win 7 64bit
http://ca.asus.com/en/Networks/Wireless_Adapters/PCEAC66/

Peace,,

****EDITED IN...
The bluetooth driver is in the win8 cd the laptop driver disk use the win64 folder.. BUT you cant run the setup you need to manually force it in the device manager.
yep everything works perfect for windows 7 ultimate..
anyone need help PM me ,and ill see if i can..