PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 freezing problem on G73S

Vanaheimx
01-05-2013, 05:55 PM
I updated to Windows 8. It was running perfect up until yesterday when it started to freeze. I had my video card overclocked, so I put it back to normal. I utilized throttlestop before Windows 8, and I just downloaded it and started it up for the first time. I don't know if that will fix it, but so far so good. I'm happy that it is letting me type this post. I checked the RAM and it is good. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what I can do to fix it the problem? It usually freezes when I'm trying to access the start menu, AKA the tablet menu thing that windows 8 is so "praised" about. I use CCleaner to fix all of my excess uneeded files and registry errors. Can anyone give me any idea on what I can do to fix this freezing issue?

Windows 8 Pro 64bit
intel core i7 2660
geforce gtx 460m
8 gigs of RAM
It's at 50 degree Celsius right now, which I'm assuming isn't vert hot.

Let me know if there is any more information you need. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Again, I'm happy it didn't freeze while typing thi----- Just kidding.

-Nick

UPDATE: Throttlestop didn't work. I froze and had to restart again. I'm going to run a full virus scan now, but I doubt it will be able to finish by the time the next hang up occurs.

UPDATE 2: Now I'm getting BSOD's. The reason it designated was "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED"

Vanaheimx
01-05-2013, 09:41 PM
The freezing has subsided for now. I took advantage of the time and downloaded Windows 7, so I'm just going to go back to it. PS, I am purposefully d ouble posting in hopes that I break the forums rules.

dstrakele
01-05-2013, 11:19 PM
I think you may have installed something that was incompatible with Windows 8 Pro or may have mucked up the Windows 8 registry with CCleaner. A 'clean' Windows 8 installation may do the trick, but you'll probably save yourself a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth by just reinstalling Windows 7.

You'll want to have a working laptop to wile away the many boring hours in ROG Forum Prison for intentionally violating the rules...

Pitcher@asus
01-07-2013, 07:01 AM
what do you want to now? back win 7 or keep use win8? if you want to back win7 and your hedden partition is not broke you can download utility to back win 7, http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=110&m=ASUS%20Recovery&os=36&ft=14&f_name=ASUSRecovery_Win8_64_Z103.zip#ASUSRecovery_ Win8_64_Z103.zip