PDA

View Full Version : G46VW Info

eycel
01-06-2013, 07:48 AM
Hi guys, Im so excited about the new stealth G46VW laptop, I'm sooo into 14 inch form factor currently(I own a lenovo Ideapad Y460 which is 14 inch gaming laptop) and when I recently learned about ROG coming out with a 14 inch form factor ROG laptop I was ecstatic. I remember thinking to my self a year ago, when ROG came out with there first 15 inch stealth in the G55 that it would be so cool if they eventually came out with a 14 inch laptop, and now they have!

I have compiled a forum thread over at lowyat that I hope everyone can go and check out, but what I want is feedback on updates and any information I missed in the thread so please post if you have anything relevant about the G46VW.

The link to the lowyat thread on the G46 can be clicked right here, http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?act=ST&f=100&t=2653188&st=0#entry57271678 (http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?act=ST&f=100&t=2653188&st=0#entry57271678) .

_
01-06-2013, 07:53 AM
Why not just post that info in ROG forums? :P

eycel
01-06-2013, 09:09 AM
Im new here i have no idea what ur talkin about, i posted it here cause the forum specifies G46VW in it, my topic is about the G46VW.

Im sorry ;)

edit: Ohhh I see what your saying, haha I get it now I think. Yea your saying why didnt I start the thread I made at lowyat here instead, If Im reading you right haha. Well a number of reasons I guess, one being people seem to really like new laptop threads over there at lowyat I noticed and I its more of a unregulated forum so I didnt have to think about what kinda content was going to be posted and have to worry about being moderated, Im known to get banned from forums hehe.

eycel
01-08-2013, 09:32 AM
has anyone got any english video review links by any chance

Maximko
01-08-2013, 11:08 AM
I'm a bit confused with specifications for G46VW. At the ASUS site the indicate in specs (http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G46VW/#specifications) that it will go with an optical drive, but I can't see a hint for that in official pictures (http://rog.asus.com/171432012/g-series-laptops/official-pictures-g46vw-14-inch-gaming-laptop/) of G46VW. What's the true?

Another question - the say in specs that there will be two options for display:
1) 14.0" HD with EWV (1366 x 768)
2) HD+ (1600x900) LED Backlight Non-Glare LCD Panel

But as I've read many times, only the first one will be available now, and the second option will appear later. Any ideas how much later? (It would be damn cool if they introduce an option of IPS panel, even without 3D support).

Finally, will it come with NVIDIA Optimus to be able to switch between NVIDIA and internal GPU?

eycel
01-08-2013, 05:32 PM
There is no optical drive and there never will be, I personally think it looks much better without one.

The screen thing, I have the quote on the thread I linked that tells about how the screen on the G46vw uses a eDP display instead of the regular LVDS screens which makes it impossible to upgrade after the fact since there are no eDP screens at the moment that make 14 inch 900p screens. Heres the quote for that,
Hey guys. Ted from HIDevolution here. I'm not sure if it's been covered, but the G46 uses an eDP display connector (not the standard LVDS), and a 14" 1600x900 eDP display does not exist right now."

Yes there is Optimus on this laptop.

Maximko
01-09-2013, 05:35 AM
Thanx, eycel.

There is actually also no any need for an optical drive for me, but I just wonder why Asus makes this confusion mentioning that in the specs.

So, if it has Optimus, than it should have an internal GPU. Anyone knows which exactly?

Maximko
01-09-2013, 01:30 PM
And yet one more question :)
In the specs the options for storage are:
- 500GB 5400/7200 With 128 G SSD
- 750GB 5400/7200 With 128 G SSD
- 750GB 7200 With 8 GB SSH
- 1TB 5400 With 128 G SSD

As I understand, these are just official configurations and nothing (well, perhaps except official guarantee) prevents me from having a model with, say, SSD 256Gb and 750Gb 5400 HDD. Or would that be physically impossible?

mooreallty
01-09-2013, 02:44 PM
good idea,Yea your saying why didnt I start the thread I made at lowyat here instead, thanks for your sharing.http://www.oldjoy.info/jiechiok/images/1.gif

eycel
01-10-2013, 12:15 AM
With the hard drives, the mSATA uses a halved size so there isnt any on the market currently that you can buy to put in there so you would have to buy one pre configured with what you want meaning you probably cant get all the options you want to pick and choose from.

The integrated GPU would be intel HD 4000 that comes with IVY bridge processors.

kindnuguz
01-10-2013, 01:14 AM
I really can't wait to get one of these, just registered to post in this thead...

I really hope I can custom make it... Asus needs to have a place to buy from insted of Newegg and others... (like EVGA does)..

I have like Asus for a while.. then hated them, and now since ROG has came out have found a new love for all ROG stuff...

Please let us know when this laptop is comming out.. A 14 inch game'n machine is so awsome ;)

eycel
01-10-2013, 03:42 AM
I really can't wait to get one of these, just registered to post in this thead...

I really hope I can custom make it... Asus needs to have a place to buy from insted of Newegg and others... (like EVGA does)..

I have like Asus for a while.. then hated them, and now since ROG has came out have found a new love for all ROG stuff...

Please let us know when this laptop is comming out.. A 14 inch game'n machine is so awsome ;)
If you read my link in first post, best buy has them for sale, if you have one near you just check to see if its in stock. They dont ship though its for in-store pick up only.

eycel
01-11-2013, 12:52 AM
Theres a few more videos in english on the link I posted from CES.

kikich
01-11-2013, 11:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta_vOTJIwHI CES 2013

kikich
01-11-2013, 11:48 AM
As far as what I found there is no 1600x900p screen on CES 2013 for Asus g46, so maybe we are not going to see this higher resolution soon or ever?!?!?!

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/hands-on-with-the-asus-g46-portable-gaming-laptop/photo/5/

JwPwns
01-11-2013, 02:12 PM
hehe posting the first time with my G46vw, anyways I think everything's fine even with the slow hdd the performance is not bad at all, not much difference from my desktop running 6870, since the screen resolution is low it actually made it more suitable for gaming.. as you really need a microscope to tell the difference between this and the 900p

AdrianKenneth
01-11-2013, 04:05 PM
I just bought my new g46 and so far the performance is awesome. very quiet,fast,and compact, and the 1366 x 768 screen res not really a big trouble for me. what i concern is the slow hdd performance ( 5400rpm)
i want to know is it possible to add some SSD to g46? does this laptop have msata drive in it? if yes it would be perfect.

and one more thing, g46 designed a user non-removable battery. is it okay if i charged it all night long (plugged it in)? some people said that it will stop charging when the battery reach 100% and will use power source instead of overcharging it. is it true? or i will have to take the cable off when battery reach 100% ? :/

thanks for your attention

eycel
01-12-2013, 01:22 AM
I just bought my new g46 and so far the performance is awesome. very quiet,fast,and compact, and the 1366 x 768 screen res not really a big trouble for me. what i concern is the slow hdd performance ( 5400rpm)
i want to know is it possible to add some SSD to g46? does this laptop have msata drive in it? if yes it would be perfect.

and one more thing, g46 designed a user non-removable battery. is it okay if i charged it all night long (plugged it in)? some people said that it will stop charging when the battery reach 100% and will use power source instead of overcharging it. is it true? or i will have to take the cable off when battery reach 100% ? :/

thanks for your attention

You guys are so lucky! I want one!

Heres a thread that might interest you, http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/23412 (http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/689401-new-14-inch-g-series-notebook.html).

There is an mSATA but its not a standard size one so you cant just buy your own and put one in unfortunately. You can replace the Harddrive with a SSD but you have to rip open part of the casing which I heard is a bit of a task but its doable.

You want to always keep your laptop plugged into the AC adapter at night, that way your battery isn't going to be used and stays charged which will reduce power cycles on your battery and will keep your battery healthy for a longer period of time until you need to actually replace it. All batteries die after so long even if you don't use them, the only way to really prevent battery degradation is to keep them in a cold environment, I heard a fridge works well.

AdrianKenneth
01-12-2013, 03:36 PM
You guys are so lucky! I want one!

Heres a thread that might interest you, http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/23412 (http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/689401-new-14-inch-g-series-notebook.html).

There is an mSATA but its not a standard size one so you cant just buy your own and put one in unfortunately. You can replace the Harddrive with a SSD but you have to rip open part of the casing which I heard is a bit of a task but its doable.

You want to always keep your laptop plugged into the AC adapter at night, that way your battery isn't going to be used and stays charged which will reduce power cycles on your battery and will keep your battery healthy for a longer period of time until you need to actually replace it. All batteries die after so long even if you don't use them, the only way to really prevent battery degradation is to keep them in a cold environment, I heard a fridge works well.

yes i hope soon it will be available in your country too eycel :)
in my country the distributor said that he only got 2 units of g46 so i feel lucky when i bought this

aaah i see, but i heard that replacing hdd with ssd will make the laptop loss its warranty, pretty tough decision to make.

so its okay if my laptop plugged into the AC adapter at night? i thought the batteries will loss its durability if i did that.
thanks for your info eycel! goodluck on hunting g46!

kikich
01-13-2013, 12:46 AM
I noticed that Asus has updated the g46 web page with the 900p resolution

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G46VW/#specifications

JwPwns
01-13-2013, 04:15 AM
I just used my patriot pyro 128gb SSD in G46, the SSD had window 7 pro preinstalled for my desktop and it boots!! in just 9 sec =) anyways the i5 is worth every penny. As far as opening this and changing the HDD is just removing 27 screws and the hardest part is separating the keyboard from the case, it will take some time and scratches on the side

JwPwns
01-15-2013, 12:38 AM
news! I put back the old hdd while adding a 128g msata ssd (Samsung) and at first it didn't detect it, then I went to bios and put raid mode on, guess what?! my G46 is officially the beast with 128 SSD and 750g hdd. Now I will try to work on installing window 7 on msata, anyways if u have any questions feel free to contact me.

Sloth
01-24-2013, 04:46 PM
Hi All,

Are there any updates on when the I7 / 1600x900 version of the G46 will be available? Marshall posted something a while ago that was somewhat vague but I haven't been able to find that post again. If memory serves it was made in early to mid December and so i'm hoping there may be more up-to-date information out there.

On a somewhat related subject, is there any information for when other shops will start selling the G46?

Thanks,

~S

PS With a thread title of G46VW Info I didn't think this would be an inappropriate place to post these questions. Not trying to thread jack!

Tomislav
01-24-2013, 07:53 PM
HD or HD+ res shouldn't be such problem on a 14" laptop. It is pixel density that you are after. I would reall,really want to have an IPS panel on my G75 and if they release G46 with a IPS I'm gonna buy it eve if it cost me my blood!

Ray Khouw
01-25-2013, 08:13 AM
I'm from Vancouver, Canada and had to drive down to the states to pick one up.

Initial impressions:
- LIGHT!
- Same build quality as it's older brothers (good thing)
- No accessories included in box (Bad...no backpacks!?)
- Windows 8 (thumbs down)

Told myself that it wasn't necessary to get SSD in it right away, but ended up buying one on my day off to tackle on the DIY. After following the pictures on the other thread, I could say that difficulty would be 7-8/10 for someone who is comfortable with taking computers apart and working with internals of electronics. You really do appreciate the build quality much much more once you have a peek inside and seeing the attention to detail and the placements of certain components of the laptop.

Key points when dissassemby:
- Take pictures beforehand to take notes of which screws goes where
- Keyboard assembly was hardest to take off
- MSATA port is meant to be used with a mini MSATA, but the connections are the same. The screws to keep it secure does not line up, so I used some electrical tape instead to keep it in place (ghetto but it works)

I have also tried downgrading to Windows 7 and felt that the drivers for it does not work as well for Windows 8. All the drivers from ASUS website works BUT the following:
- Intel Centrino-2230 needs to be downloaded from Intel's website. Keep in mind to download the DRIVER ONLY, not the software+driver. I had some issues with driver+software
- USB 3.0 drivers didn't seem to be available and I was not able to find a fix for Windows 7

Tomislav
01-25-2013, 08:41 AM
you should really give win 8 a try, Does take a little time to get used to it, and they do work faster then 7. You can find really good freeware software for bringing back the start button/menu and old search options.

Qade
01-25-2013, 03:24 PM
I wonder what it would take to swap the screen with this one https://www.lcds4less.co.uk/AsusLaptop__Asus_G46VW__laptop-screens.html which claims to be a replacement part for the 900p G46 display. ~us$150 to find out!

Sloth
01-25-2013, 05:09 PM
Having never taken apart or built a laptop (but having done numerous desktops), how hard is it to do? Perhaps the better question is how easy is it to screw the laptop up? I love to tinker but suspect just waiting for the I7/SSD/900p G46 laptop to be offered by a shop is the better option than accidentally bricking my new laptop. However, patience isn't one of my virtues... :rolleyes:

Ray Khouw
01-25-2013, 05:28 PM
Display is not hard to replace. I believe it's 5 screws after removing the keyboard. It's basically the hinge mount. The question is whether the display part includes the outside encasing or if it's just the panel.

Qade
01-25-2013, 10:51 PM
I don't mind waiting, but I'm sure it'll be more than $150 when Asus offers the 900p. The i5 is pretty fast already so that doesn't bother me (an i7 would be gravy). I'd like to put in a nice big mSATA SSD and keep the 750 HDD for storage, not sure if they'll be offering that combination.

I doubt you'll brick it taking it apart. It might take a while to put it all together but it's only time... assuming you're not too rough with it and physically break something.

Ray Khouw
01-28-2013, 11:42 PM
^^^
What he said, take your time...the hardest part of taking it apart was seperating the keyboard and the bottom part of the laptops. The clips are firmly in so it does take quite abit of force to take apart. I used a flat head screwdriver wrapped in thick electrical tape to help unhook the clips as well WHILE i pulled the two pieces apart. The electrical tape helps so that you won't scratch or mark anything on the laptop

Sloth
01-29-2013, 04:14 AM
I've procured an old Dell inspiron that i'm going to take apart for learning purposes. I'm a pretty methodical person and if I needed to manually upgrade the g46 I likely could without screwing it all up. However, assuming laptops are assembled and accessed in roughly the same way, learning the principles on a junk machine seems like a wise course. Besides, there will be one "oops" moment...

Of course, i'd still rather just buy the features I want from the beginning and be done with it. Crazy, right? ;)

t0bi
01-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Hi, i just received my G46VW and i can't handle windows 8. So for people who have already install windows 7 on it could u guide me plz