PDA

View Full Version : GPU issue or Power Supply not keeping up?

Slow-pC
01-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Well , I got grabbed a G75vw-BBR5 from work for a really good price. It was an open box and did not have the stock charger with it but we found one of the old G series chargers for now. Well , was playing with it the other night and it was running great but the charger was getting really warm under load. Was expecting that , but last night I went and played some far cry 3 and after a bit had the good old display driver crashed issue. After it reset the drivers was unable to load any games until I reset the system and right after that I did furmark stress test for 15 minutes with no problems at all.

I'm not sure if it is the GPU (system was an open box like I said but no service tag so it was not really used it seems) it shot or is it that the PSU is not giving it what it needs to run stable? It is a 150watt 7A unit and I know that these ship with a 9.5A range 180 watt supply, could it be the card is not getting enough power ? Also , what is the stock P0 state for voltage on the card?

Other than that , My old K53TA is totally getting retired after I figure this out. :)

finalhour
01-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Well , I got grabbed a G75vw-BBR5 from work for a really good price. It was an open box and did not have the stock charger with it but we found one of the old G series chargers for now. Well , was playing with it the other night and it was running great but the charger was getting really warm under load. Was expecting that , but last night I went and played some far cry 3 and after a bit had the good old display driver crashed issue. After it reset the drivers was unable to load any games until I reset the system and right after that I did furmark stress test for 15 minutes with no problems at all.

I'm not sure if it is the GPU (system was an open box like I said but no service tag so it was not really used it seems) it shot or is it that the PSU is not giving it what it needs to run stable? It is a 150watt 7A unit and I know that these ship with a 9.5A range 180 watt supply, could it be the card is not getting enough power ? Also , what is the stock P0 state for voltage on the card?

Other than that , My old K53TA is totally getting retired after I figure this out. :)

Could be the charger, but have you tried updating to a newer NVIDIA driver? your power supply wouldn't cause your display driver to crash...

Slow-pC
01-07-2013, 03:34 PM
Yea , overclocked the GPU a bit and ran MSI kombuster for 30 minutes with no problems and then 2 hours of far cry 3 and then the display driver crashed.

Running 310.90 and reinstalled with a clean install of those drivers. Anyone heard of better drivers running on their machines that might help me test some stuff? Anyway to increase the Fan as well to see if that helps maybe?

tossed 310.70 and will test tonight after work.

Pitcher@asus
01-08-2013, 03:54 AM
what is your charger wattage? you are trying install all new driver and utility in your OS. if you are overclock, the problem still happen?

Slow-pC
01-08-2013, 04:10 AM
what is your charger wattage? you are trying install all new driver and utility in your OS. if you are overclock, the problem still happen?

Currently running it with the earlier G series which is a 150watt at 7.7A charger. I have been testing other drivers and driver cleaner setups and everything , and it is just totally random. They are fresh installs on a windows 8 pro clean machine (full wipe and install and not letting Microsoft update at all) Can be playing a game for a while and nothing and then load another game and have it crash and freeze right away into it. No overclock at this time as I am just trying to see what it could be.

Always been a Asus person , but running into this and reading all the others hurts a bit inside.

Slow-pC
01-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Got my RMA and got a shipping box. Sending this one out today. Hope for a quick turnaround :)

Slow-pC
01-15-2013, 03:11 AM
Well , Shipped it and they got it this morning and already started working on it. Expected to be finished and shipped by Thursday. So far , I have been very happy with this service.

Slow-pC
01-22-2013, 01:40 AM
Well , just it back in the mail today and RMA center replaced the casing / audio board and the main board ... so far, been running great!