PDA

View Full Version : Please help g75vw screen won't turn on

Andrew74
01-07-2013, 07:48 PM
Background: closed the screen for the night, came back the next day. Opened the screen and got a black screen with the following message, "please select proper boot device or insert disc. Press any key". Rebooted and went into BOIS and changed the boot order to something "windows...." ( idk exactly it said but it had windows in it so I thought the boot order got messed up some how ). Rebooted and now the key board will lite up but the screen won't turn on at all. The labtop will Sometimes it will turn off and turn back once every reboot. ( not the screen )

It's about 6 months old with problem 20 hrs on it

Any ideas.

finalhour
01-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Well personally I'd probably drop it out a 7th-story window.....but I digress, you said you got a boot error message? Sounds like something is funny with windows. First question is, did you change anything before this happened? New hardware? BIOS update? Anything?

I did a search on google, came up with this advice, though I realize it won't help if you can't boot! So, first, try turning it on and pulling the battery out while it is on (and not plugged in), to reset it. Next, maybe try an external monitor? It's weird that your monitor isn't working, the error this is associated with shouldn't be affecting that but just in case try it? Here's the post I found that details what it is that went wrong (likely) and the microsoft suggestion to fix it. I'm assuming in this post that you have windows 7, but correct me if I'm wrong and let me know how any of this goes/if anything works.

1. Do you have the Windows 7 operating system in the hard disk drive?

2. Do you have another hard drive attached to the laptop?

Remove any external device connected to the computer.

Method 2:

Perform Startup Repair which scans your computer to attempt to find and fix any startup problems.

a. Insert the Windows 7 installation disk in the DVD drive and enable first bootable device as CD/DVD drive.

b. Restart the computer and press any key to boot from the DVD.

c. Select Startup Repair and follow the on-screen instructions.

For reference:

Startup Repair:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/startup-repair

finalhour
01-07-2013, 08:03 PM
Alternatively you could pop your hard drive(s) into another machine and see if you can fix the problem there, it might be an issue with the MBR (master boot record)

Andrew74
01-07-2013, 08:10 PM
Well personally I'd probably drop it out a 7th-story window.....but I digress, you said you got a boot error message? Sounds like something is funny with windows. First question is, did you change anything before this happened? New hardware? BIOS update? Anything?

I did a search on google, came up with this advice, though I realize it won't help if you can't boot! So, first, try turning it on and pulling the battery out while it is on (and not plugged in), to reset it. Next, maybe try an external monitor? It's weird that your monitor isn't working, the error this is associated with shouldn't be affecting that but just in case try it? Here's the post I found that details what it is that went wrong (likely) and the microsoft suggestion to fix it. I'm assuming in this post that you have windows 7, but correct me if I'm wrong and let me know how any of this goes/if anything works.

1. Do you have the Windows 7 operating system in the hard disk drive?

2. Do you have another hard drive attached to the laptop?

Remove any external device connected to the computer.

Method 2:

Perform Startup Repair which scans your computer to attempt to find and fix any startup problems.

a. Insert the Windows 7 installation disk in the DVD drive and enable first bootable device as CD/DVD drive.

b. Restart the computer and press any key to boot from the DVD.

c. Select Startup Repair and follow the on-screen instructions.

For reference:

Startup Repair:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/startup-repair

No need hardware was added. Same as when I bought it from best buy. Never tried updating the BOIS

1) windows 7

2) no external hdd

Tried external monitor.

I'm going to try to put the hdd in another lab top and see what happens.

Oh yah forgot, I pulled the hdd and nothing changed.

finalhour
01-07-2013, 08:12 PM
No need hardware was added. Same as when I bought it from best buy. Never tried updating the BOIS

1) windows 7

2) no external hdd

Tried external monitor.

I'm going to try to put the hdd in another lab top and see what happens.

Oh yah forgot, I pulled the hdd and nothing changed.

I mean if it's not even getting the windows splash screen it's either the HDD (and/or the OS install) or your motherboard is fried.

Andrew74
01-07-2013, 08:31 PM
I pulled the hdd and tried it another lab top. I got the black screen with the message again to select the proper boot device... Selected each option to boot from and all said the same thing. So I'm guessing the screen and the os decided to break at the same time?

finalhour
01-07-2013, 08:43 PM
I pulled the hdd and tried it another lab top. I got the black screen with the message again to select the proper boot device... Selected each option to boot from and all said the same thing. So I'm guessing the screen and the os decided to break at the same time?

The screen part still doesn't make sense to me.... I'm hoping another member on the forum can help with that. The actual error your having relates to either a bad hard drive or a corrupt OS, the monitor should at least show the "please select proper boot device" or whatever in your existing laptop. Try to make sure your HDD is properly connected to your ASUS, then I would personally try to run startup repair off the windows disk (borrow the correct one from a friend if you don't have it, or search on the forums, there's a link to a download of one I think...)..

dstrakele
01-07-2013, 10:05 PM
It sounds like your HDD may have failed. @finalhour's suggestion is good. Download an ISO file of the exact Windows version installed on the problem HDD from the Digital River website and burn it to DVD or USB flash drive. With the problem HDD back in your G75, press the Esc key at startup to display a list of boot devices. Select the appropriate device where the Windows Installation files are located and attempt a repair of the problem HDD. If the repair fails or you are uable, select the problem HDD for repair, it is likely the HDD is kaput.

Andrew74
01-07-2013, 10:09 PM
I gave it to geek squad and their going to send it to asus for repair. Hopefully they fix it. If not the 7th story window is the next option.

dstrakele
01-07-2013, 10:49 PM
Well, that's probably your most cost effective option for a laptop still under Warranty.

If problems persist after the RMA, don't stop at the 7th floor, take 'er all the way to the roof and videotape the inaugural flight of your G75....

finalhour
01-08-2013, 05:03 PM
Well, that's probably your most cost effective option for a laptop still under Warranty.

If problems persist after the RMA, don't stop at the 7th floor, take 'er all the way to the roof and videotape the inaugural flight of your G75....

HAHAHA! + Rep for creativity that we all can enjoy watching afterwards

Pitcher@asus
01-09-2013, 06:18 AM
please send to ASUS RMA to check, i think it would be better.

vintagepimpage
01-12-2013, 08:51 PM
I'm seeing the same problem after also changing the boot order in the BIOS. Before the change, my first boot option was the Windows Boot Manager (or something like that) and my SSD drive was second. I set the SSD to be the first boot option, removing the Windows Boot Manager from the boot options list. Pressed F10 to save and exit the BIOS (no other changes where made).

On reboot now I get nothing but a black screen. Nothing is ever displayed to the screen. Awesome. Pressing F2, Esc, any key... does nothing. I've removed the SSD, removed the HHD, removed both, all combinations... Nothing. A blank, black screen every time I turn on the computer.

Stuck and looking for help.

G20Titan
01-13-2013, 01:42 PM
Hello everyone,

I have the same problem. Yesterday, after changing the boot sequence no longer have any images on the screen. It does not help anything, I tried using the HDMI output, but no signal. Tomorrow I'm sending it to the service and we'll see what happens next.

vintagepimpage
01-13-2013, 03:29 PM
Do you know what version your BIOS was G20? I was running 222. I've seen at least 5 different people now report this problem here.

G20Titan
01-13-2013, 05:43 PM
I have the same last bios. Obviously there is some error in the BIOS

Jagged Wedge
01-15-2013, 03:22 AM
I'm in the same boat, G75vw, changed the boot order. Powers on, indicator activity, keyboard led flash then nohing, no RoG logo, can't find a way into the BIOS.

If someone knows something an End User can perform to get into the bios, that would be great.

rewben
01-15-2013, 07:26 AM
if you have the stock windows, let's hope that there is a stock bios in your c:

1. shut down your laptop; make sure its battery is in, and it's plugged in to external power source;
2. press and hold left ctrl and home keys simultaneously; power your laptop on;
3. press and hold the keys until you can (hopefully) see the easyflash screen.

this ctrl+home combo method is used to restore your stock bios from c:

Jagged Wedge
01-17-2013, 02:59 AM
No joy so far.

I have the stock hard drive with G75VW.bin , tried that with ctrl-home. There's a definite delay between power up and the keyboard LED flashing, but nothing after that, nothing from the screen or hdd activity indicator.
Copied it to a cd, two different usb drives, another hdd drive with only one partition. The cd took longer to get to the keyboard flash, but otherwise same result.
Tried hooking up an external monitor to the vga port, in case it just wasn't turning on the screen. Nada.

The only thing i haven't tried so far is getting different bios versions from the support site and trying them.

That the ctrl home combo seems to be doing something would lead me to believe theres some hope, maybe i'm just not doing it exactly right or need a different file name, or whatever.

If there's nothing else i can do my end, which of the Asus reps here should I talk to about advice/help/information on setting up a return to a service centre?

rewben
01-17-2013, 03:47 AM
with the ctrl+home combo, you should see the easyflash screen if it was successful.

if you couldn't see that screen, the better option for you is to send it to a local ASUS service center (if there is one near your place).

G20Titan
01-18-2013, 08:05 AM
Hello everyone,

I have the same problem. Yesterday, after changing the boot sequence no longer have any images on the screen. It does not help anything, I tried using the HDMI output, but no signal. Tomorrow I'm sending it to the service and we'll see what happens next.

Regards,

I received notification from ASUS service that is broken graphics card (GTX660M), and that it needed replacement. Question, is it possible to change only the graphics card without changing the motherboard? Although, I think they're not even sure what exactly is the problem, so they went with the graphics card. I told them that here on this forum, there are plenty of people with the same problem and we all have the latest BIOS.

jsteelm
02-04-2013, 04:08 PM
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

scarletvw
02-05-2013, 02:59 PM
I wanted to add something to this thread. I have a G55VW and yesterday I had an issue that is exactly like the OP. I was in BIOS, tweaked some options (boot order) and after a save and reboot I got no POST. The screen would not turn on, nothing. I tried everything everyone else on here has, nothing helped. Pressing the CTRL+Home while booting made the keyboard backlight come on later like it was doing something. It was late so I left the PC alone over night unplugged with battery out. I came back this morning to the same thing. Tried CTRL+Home again, nothing.

Then I got an idea, why not press CTRL+ALT+Home before pressing the power button, next thing I know I'm being asked to plug in my battery so I can flash the BIOS, plugged in the battery, pressed enter, BIOS flashed and now I have a working computer again.

Please try this and post your results, heck its worth a shot before sending in for service, it worked for me.

rewben
02-05-2013, 03:12 PM
wow. there is a ctrl+alt+home combo?!

scarletvw
02-05-2013, 03:19 PM
wow. there is a ctrl+alt+home combo?!

I have no idea, but that worked while ctrl+home did not.

rewben
02-05-2013, 03:25 PM
it's a nice find, @scarletvw :) i hope this is the magic combo that can really solve the mystery.

scarletvw
02-05-2013, 03:27 PM
I really hope someone else who's struggling with this can chime in and see if that works for them.

jsteelm
02-05-2013, 05:08 PM
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

vintagepimpage
02-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Yeah I already sent my G75VW in and got it back. Motherboard was replaced. This whole thing is somewhat disconcerting... Is someone/anyone at ASUS trying to dup this problem and find out the cause? Sure you can just replace the mobo and call it good, but like jsteelm, I have no desire to test this and am hesitant to even enter the BIOS now and make any changes there.

A root cause needs to be found and fix implemented. I shouldn't have to cross my fingers should I need to tweak a setting in the BIOS. Replacing the mobo is the lazy man's way to fix this problem. (And it sucks for the customer, like me, who is out of their laptop for two weeks.)

jsteelm
02-08-2013, 01:42 AM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

dstrakele
02-08-2013, 02:27 AM
+1 for coming up with the reproduction steps AND the way back, @jsteelm! That HAS to move this issue forward if anyone at ASUS is monitoring this thread.

jacobssn
12-07-2014, 03:21 PM
Hi guys!
I'm G46VW owner and I experienced the same problem that several others did: black screen, keyboard flashes, turns off and would be an a-hole not to share this,
Here's how I did.
Battery and AC charger installed:
1. Went to ASUS website, downloaded and renamed V209 bios to G46VW.BIN (in your case G75VW.BIN and corresponding BIOS download)
2. Put it on my SSD that is primary boot on my system (not original)
3. Hold CTRL + HOME + tap the Power button (not holding it)
4. Nothing happens, BUT could see HDD led blinking for a brief moment which indicates that it might looking for the BIOS file.
5. I still had my old G46VW HDD laying around so I did all the steps above on this one instead, and recovery did actually started!

Conclusion: No USB thumbdrives would work nor my upgraded SSD, only the original HDD would.
This might help others w/o warranty that has given up.

What did I do wrong to deserve no boot?
Well I did have a unlocked BIOS to enable OC, this wasn't the problem. I did how ever look for an option to unlock my ME FW too (the 1.5MB locked part of BIOS if you will). I found the option "ME FW Image Re-flash = Disable", nice why not?
Enable = black screen, not boot.