PDA

View Full Version : How to switch to internal GPU (if any) in G75VW?

Maximko
01-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Hello, ROG-tenants,

I've bought G75VW-RS72, and I like it almost in all respects. I'm going to work with it through an external hi-res monitor most of the time. The problem is that when I connect an external monitor in the Extended Desktop mode, the fan noise comes up as if the laptop is under full load. I've installed GPU-observer gadget and it shows that as soon as I extend the desktop to external monitor, the GPU temperature quickly goes up to 50 degrees celsius, and at that point the cooling system starts up, until I disconnect the monitor. This happens no matter which port I use (VGA, HDMI, Thunderbolt). I am not going to work in that accompanying noise all the time, so how can I solve the problem? As far as I understand, there is no internal GPU in this model, and the external GPU is so mighty that it becomes hot even with meer desktop extention. In PhysX configuration in NVIDIA control panel I chose CPU instead of automatic choise, but that didn't work. Does this model have any internal GPU at all (no mention of that in device manager and bios), and if yes, how can I switch to that? I believe in that case the extention of the desktop will not be accompanied by annoying fan noise.

ggBanks
01-08-2013, 04:55 PM
The G series do not have an "internal GPU" as you call it! The one and only GPU that is inside the laptop is indeed the nVidia one. So, no you cannot use the CPU as a separate GPU.

Maximko
01-08-2013, 05:18 PM
Ok. But maybe there is a way to set up Nvidia GPU so that it would not get hotter only because I extend the desktop to external monitor?

Pitcher@asus
01-09-2013, 02:58 AM
ASUS G serious cooling is auto detect, and no way to set fan speed. did you overclock GPU?

_
01-09-2013, 03:11 AM
Ok. But maybe there is a way to set up Nvidia GPU so that it would not get hotter only because I extend the desktop to external monitor?

All I can suggest is to check if you are using the latest drivers? There is no Nvidia Optimus on the VW series sorry, so the GPU is always working.

Maximko
01-09-2013, 05:39 AM
did you overclock GPU?
No. But maybe I bought it with that. How can detect if GPU is overclocked?

to check if you are using the latest drivers
Yes, after buying I had updated NVIDIA driver.

ggBanks
01-09-2013, 06:56 AM
The GPU is getting hotter because it works twice more than before because it has to calculate images for 2 monitors now. That's why it gets to 50 degrees on idle mode. This is not a problem. If you are annoyed by the noise, I am sorry, but I cannot suggest anything that can help you.

Maximko
01-09-2013, 11:12 AM
I wonder then if G46VW is having this issue. After all, it has an internal GPU, which should not get that hot due to desktop extention...

dstrakele
01-09-2013, 11:55 AM
I recommend you load up HWINFO64, enable the EC Sensor, and check your G75's GPU Fan Speed.

I use an external monitor as an extended desktop on my G74SX (also no Optimus) and typically see 40 C at idle. GPU Fan Speed is just under 2200 RPM. When working and GPU exceeds 50 C, GPU Fan Speed is ~2600 RPM and I don't notice any fan noise unless I purposely listen for it in an absolutely quiet room.

It would be worth finding out if your GPU Fan is running at significantly higher speeds.

Maximko
01-09-2013, 01:12 PM
I've installed HWINFO, it shows the CPU and GPU fans running at ~2000 rpm at idle, if no monitor is connected. At this speed I can still hear them, but this sound is quiet and not annoying. When I extend the desktop to external monitor, GPU temperature goes to 50 C, and the GPU fan jumps up to 2600-2700 rpm. But you definitely cannot "hear over" this sound even if the room is not that quiet. It is really annoying. I don't know, maybe fans have different blade shapes or something that leads to difference in sound between G74 and G75 at the same rpm.

Maximko
01-09-2013, 01:16 PM
Maybe I should try a cooler pad, but I'm afraid that will not help much, and would be just an extra 30$ throw-away.

dstrakele
01-09-2013, 03:52 PM
A cooler pad would have little effect, since the air intakes are under the lower edge of the laptop display. Besides, your issue is not one of abnormally high temperatures, but of excessive fan noise at normal fan speeds.

Maximum fan speed is ~5000 RPM. There should not be that much difference in noise between 2000 and 2600 RPM. Your fan may have a bad bearing to make so much noise at that speed.

john_from_ohio
01-09-2013, 07:21 PM
I have a G75VW BBK5 with the GTX 660M gpu.

I drive one external monitor 2560 x 1440 constantly at work.

My GPU temp is 43 celsium and fan speed sitting at 2000 rpm.

Your machine seems unusual in that it is so warm for just driving one external monitor at least to me.

Maximko
01-10-2013, 05:19 AM
I have a G75VW BBK5 with the GTX 660M gpu.

I drive one external monitor 2560 x 1440 constantly at work.

My GPU temp is 43 celsium and fan speed sitting at 2000 rpm.

Your machine seems unusual in that it is so warm for just driving one external monitor at least to me.
It's really weird, and the only explanation I can think of is that GTX 670M (3Gb) in my model is easier to get hotter than 660M.

PS
john_from_ohio, are U using external monitor as a single display, or as an extended desktop?