PDA

View Full Version : Bad DC jack repair for G73?

Cenex
01-09-2013, 01:53 AM
So a few weeks ago after my plug got hit somewhat hard when using my G73 on my lap, it began to constantly go back and forth between battery and charger. A quick search and I figured out it was most likely the DC jack came loose. Unless it was plugged in to the perfect spot, it would not stay on AC and the problem became worse and worse. Since I was no longer under warranty and I don't have the knowhow to safely do it myself, I just decided to take it in to a local shop. They told me this was a common problem they dealt with for these laptops, so I figured they knew what they were doing.

Well I got it back today with the replaced jack, however they said that it wouldn't charge and figured it was a motherboard problem. Not only that, but now there was no exact spot where it would charge like there was before. They were obstinate on it being a mobo problem rather than examining the solder job, so I took it apart to look at it myself and this is what it's like.

Now I don't really know how to tell a bad job from a *decent* job, but this looks very sloppy. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but 3 of the pins especially look like they are not sufficiently covered and connected.

So my question is, should I take it back and demand it be re-soldered or could it actually be a problem with the mobo?

Pitcher@asus
01-09-2013, 02:45 AM
did you send to ASUS RMA? if yes, you can return again.

Cenex
01-09-2013, 02:51 AM
No, I just took it to a local shop. I don't know computers well enough to know if this is a bad soldering job, but if it is I want to know for sure so that I don't seem like a whiny customer with problems that don't actually exist.

This was an email I recieved from them earlier today but forgot to check after having asked a few questions about the repair before checking the solder job.

Yes, we have tested the voltages from the board to the jack to determine if the powerjack repair was successful. In this case it was, however your motherboard is not processing the power correctly past the point of the jack, hence the failure of the board.

Now this raises some questions. I'll get a hold of them tomorrow to figure it out, but I still wonder. As I've said before the laptop charged if it was in the perfect spot, which meant there was likely a connection problem, correct? Now, after they've replaced it with a sloppy solder job, there is no charging at all. But what did they do to get the reading? I presume you'd test the jack by touching the multimeter to the solder? Could they have gotten the reading from touching the exposed pin and the solder is still the culprit?

Pitcher@asus
01-11-2013, 05:56 AM
please send to ASUS RMA to repaire. is you locally reseller get Authorize from ASUS?