PDA

View Full Version : G75VX New 205 Bios

gokica
01-10-2013, 09:36 AM
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G75VX/#download

I am at work right now but can't wait to go home and try it. I hope that I will have the time. If someone surpasses me please post results.

I wonder what is the upgrade and improvements that it brings to us. Maybe Optimus finally.

Edit: probably just UEFI GOP for some sort of fast booting:

http://www.google.com/search?q=gop+nvidia&hl=en&gbv=2&gs_l=heirloom-hp.3...1283.5017.0.5216.11.11.0.0.0.0.84.712.11.11 .0...0.0...1c.1.moF1CuoMC5I&oq=gop+nvidia

pitha1337
01-10-2013, 10:42 AM
Hmm, on official webside it says: Change VBIOS and GOP.

Not sure what GOP is.
Maybe they have changed the VBIOS to change the hardware ids of the 670mx so that offical nvidia driver could be installed without any tricks. It would be very nice if someone could provide any information about the new BIOS as soon as possible.

DirtyCodingHabitz
01-10-2013, 10:59 AM
Hmm, on official webside it says: Change VBIOS and GOP.

Not sure what GOP is.
Maybe they have changed the VBIOS to change the hardware ids of the 670mx so that offical nvidia driver could be installed without any tricks. It would be very nice if someone could provide any information about the new BIOS as soon as possible.

I'm wondering about this myself. I need to understand more about this new bios and I'll wait and see if it works perfectly for others.

Kriss1
01-10-2013, 11:17 AM
Can somebody explain what GOP UEFI capable BIOS is ?! :) And do not forget to use english please ;)

Individ
01-10-2013, 11:33 AM
I hope it's more stable than 204 was for me (which coincidentally was bypassed completely on the download page)! When I get my G75VX back from RMA if it is still sporting 204, this will be the first thing I flash! :D

FalloutBoy
01-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Can somebody explain what GOP UEFI capable BIOS is ?! :) And do not forget to use english please ;)

GOP Acronym for Graphics Output Protocol and is related to writing to a graphical console, UEFI is Unified Extensible Firmware Interface and is a replacement for the old bios standards in which hard drives, date data etc were stored in such a fashion as to cause limitations to drive sizes etc.

Here are some details on GOP which may include some information on UEFI.

http://www.uefi.org/learning_center/UPFS11_P4_UEFI_GOP_AMD.pdf

Hope this helps.

samozen
01-10-2013, 10:14 PM
I flashed it .nothing new some more option in bios. but the temps are 3 C now more and when I boot the laptop there is a flickering on the top of the screen. has anyone the same problem?

FalloutBoy
01-10-2013, 10:36 PM
I flashed it .nothing new some more option in bios. but the temps are 3 C now more and when I boot the laptop there is a flickering on the top of the screen. has anyone the same problem?

Did you remember to set the BIOS back to defaults, I can't say that this will definitely fix your problem but it's one step I didn't see you mention.

gokica
01-10-2013, 11:06 PM
I flashed the new bios as well. I do not experience flickering on top of the screen. Temperature on the 670MX seems to be higher than what it used to be with the same frequencies in idle. On load temperature seems the same. CPU temperature is the same idle and load as well. Everything else is the same actually.

I can not see new options in the bios. No Optiums either. Whatever UEFI GOP means I do not see the benefit but only higher idle GPU temperature.

Edit: It seems like the GPU idle temperature is actually the same. I do not know why for about 10 minutes after start was higher but now it got to be the same. 36-37 degrees Celsius. Room temperature is about 20 degrees. CPU idle is 34-35 degrees.

Everything is OK.

PadiG75VX
01-11-2013, 12:16 AM
After update my is flickering on the top of the screen to..... and stiii not updating new driver from Nvidia

Pitcher@asus
01-11-2013, 03:18 AM
any other proble without flick screan?

DirtyCodingHabitz
01-11-2013, 05:19 AM
any other proble without flick screan?

Mine installed perfectly and I have no issues :)

pitha1337
01-11-2013, 08:06 AM
No screen flickering for me. I've noticed that my ASUS g75VX is more silent under full load. Now I really have to take my ears near the two fans to hear the airflow. Maybe just imagination but it seems more silent. Besided that I have raised core clock +100 mhz and memory +200 mhz using MSI Afterburner with Windows 7 and Nvidia 310.90 drivers.

DirtyCodingHabitz
01-11-2013, 11:02 AM
No screen flickering for me. I've noticed that my ASUS g75VX is more silent under full load. Now I really have to take my ears near the two fans to hear the airflow. Maybe just imagination but it seems more silent. Besided that I have raised core clock +100 mhz and memory +200 mhz using MSI Afterburner with Windows 7 and Nvidia 310.90 drivers.

I think you're right. I was playing a game on highest settings and the laptop was still silent even at 60c.

I seriously love this laptop(besides windows 8 and the problems I'm having with unresponsiveness).

FalloutBoy
01-11-2013, 11:52 AM
I think you're right. I was playing a game on highest settings and the laptop was still silent even at 60c.

I seriously love this laptop(besides windows 8 and the problems I'm having with unresponsiveness).

I still cant figure out what you mean by unresponsiveness, I've not had any glitches or issues so far, my wife has with her Acer 5600 AIO she found that moving the mouse to certain points around the edges of the screen caused it to jump, I believe that this is either a glitch in W8 or that the mouse drivers have been set to slow down around click points like the charm bar and other on screen additives - but I haven't checked this yet. It can be a bit difficult to verify these things when she's just as addicted to computers as I am.

FalloutBoy
01-11-2013, 12:09 PM
After update my is flickering on the top of the screen to..... and stiii not updating new driver from Nvidia

Again same question for you as samozen - did you reset the bios settings to defaults ?

DirtyCodingHabitz
01-11-2013, 12:11 PM
I still cant figure out what you mean by unresponsiveness, I've not had any glitches or issues so far, my wife has with her Acer 5600 AIO she found that moving the mouse to certain points around the edges of the screen caused it to jump, I believe that this is either a glitch in W8 or that the mouse drivers have been set to slow down around click points like the charm bar and other on screen additives - but I haven't checked this yet. It can be a bit difficult to verify these things when she's just as addicted to computers as I am.

When I try to open a program it will take 5-10 seconds until windows responds and opens it. When I right click on any file the same thing happens, and if I try to press anything on the window it will say "Not Responding" and after the 5-10 seconds it shows the info of the right clicked file. The only program that opens instantly is Google Chrome.

When I formatted everything was fine, but after I started installing programs and updating windows, the unresponsiveness started.

ashue
01-11-2013, 12:19 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have already update my bios to 205 and no issues, no flickering or whatsoever.
My machine felt good after the bios update and it is just going to get better if a driver update will be released for the video card as I do not want to do the disabling of driver signature enforcement.

gokica
01-11-2013, 01:35 PM
I would actually like if possible for someone from ASUS to explain to us what the update is exactly about and how can we feel/see the difference (GOP)?

Also should we (owners of G75VX) hope for Optimus as advertised or not?

ashue
01-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Just also wondering about this optimus thing going around after reading other forums.
I also checked a review and the gpu has a feature of optimus and only asus team/guys can answer as to why there is no optimus and you cannot even see the intel hd 4000 display option.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-670MX.82603.0.html

samozen
01-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Again same question for you as samozen - did you reset the bios settings to defaults ?

yes I have restore to default and same flickering still here is a video of the problem at second 14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f2ar2UNMKY

MISIKEX
01-11-2013, 10:40 PM
Guys... i,m really mad...

Sorry, but i dont speak English well, but i have a really big problem...

I have 2 Vertex 4 SSD, and i use Win7 64Bit. After when i succesfull updated the BIOS 203->205 i cant start the system...

Always the BIOS setting load up and over... I cant set BIOS boot order... And ofcourse i cant set back the old 203 bios, because the Build date too old...

So i need some help now....

PadiG75VX
01-11-2013, 10:49 PM
yes I have restore to default and same flickering still here is a video of the problem at second 14

Bios 204 -> 205 restore to default and the same artifacts on startup ...........

samozen
01-11-2013, 10:55 PM
is that mean the video card is damaged?

gokica
01-11-2013, 11:18 PM

I have 2 Vertex 4 SSD, and i use Win7 64Bit. After when i succesfull updated the BIOS 203->205 i cant start the system...

Always the BIOS setting load up and over... I cant set BIOS boot order... And ofcourse i cant set back the old 203 bios, because the Build date too old...

It is probably a MBR system disk in your system. You have to activate the old BIOS compatibility mode in the new UEFI bios (CSM) in order to boot properly.

"Launch CSM" but first "Disable secure boot".

rewben
01-12-2013, 12:02 AM

are you using raid0?

FalloutBoy
01-12-2013, 01:11 AM
Bios 204 -> 205 restore to default and the same artifacts on startup ...........

I have installed 205 now and have had what you show happen one time, but since then I have not seen it, are you powering your machine right down or putting it to sleep I suspect if its being put to sleep mode it might be having some rubbish left in the file when it starts up. You can't quote me on this though I haven't actually tried it myself or done any diagnostics whatsoever but have had a similar problem caused by my hdd having a cross linked file on my Qosmio X500, after doing a full on disk check and getting it to correct the problem - the issue did not re-occur.

Samozen & PadiG75VX
I have done a little testing now on your Video artifact issue and have concluded the I believe it's not actually an issue at all. I believe the artifact that you are seeing is a small delay between when the system clears the screen to display the windows logo, my desktop ROG machine does this also and it is IMHO nothing to worry about

If you are still worried by all means consult one of the ASUS guru's that frequent here but in general if you have damaged video hardware it will show in everything you do, not just when the machine is first powered on or coming out of STR or STD mode. It may have even been happening before 205 and you just didn't catch it.

If you haven't got one I have a copy of the 204 bios which I'm happy to provide alternatively you will find it hidden as a 6 meg file on the root level of drive C provided you haven't deleted it.

ashue
01-12-2013, 03:51 AM

Hi samozen,

I think I saw that on the first boot after I performed the bios upgrade but for me what I did is that I powered down the machine and did some sort of a power cycle including the power brick and removed all the usb devices attached. After few minutes I tried powering up the machine again and the flickering went away. Not sure if this issue is a random thing. We encountered the same thing like what falloutboy said just on the first time but after that no more.

samozen
01-12-2013, 08:07 AM
the flicker is there by every boot and restart. can I flash the old bios from asus site or the version 204. I hope the vga is not brocken through this new bios 205. I update it through the asus utility.

samozen
01-12-2013, 11:14 AM
I have installed 205 now and have had what you show happen one time, but since then I have not seen it, are you powering your machine right down or putting it to sleep I suspect if its being put to sleep mode it might be having some rubbish left in the file when it starts up. You can't quote me on this though I haven't actually tried it myself or done any diagnostics whatsoever but have had a similar problem caused by my hdd having a cross linked file on my Qosmio X500, after doing a full on disk check and getting it to correct the problem - the issue did not re-occur.

Samozen & PadiG75VX
I have done a little testing now on your Video artifact issue and have concluded the I believe it's not actually an issue at all. I believe the artifact that you are seeing is a small delay between when the system clears the screen to display the windows logo, my desktop ROG machine does this also and it is IMHO nothing to worry about

If you are still worried by all means consult one of the ASUS guru's that frequent here but in general if you have damaged video hardware it will show in everything you do, not just when the machine is first powered on or coming out of STR or STD mode. It may have even been happening before 205 and you just didn't catch it.

If you haven't got one I have a copy of the 204 bios which I'm happy to provide alternatively you will find it hidden as a 6 meg file on the root level of drive C provided you haven't deleted it.

how to downgrade bios?can you upload bios 204?thanks

rewben
01-12-2013, 11:25 AM
@samozen, if you are running stock windows, check your c:\ for your bios (might be hidden).

samozen
01-12-2013, 11:27 AM
So I have successfully downgraded to version 203 and now there is no flicker. I will wait for the next Bios Update.
you can downgrade through this method:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?22595-How-do-you-downgrade-bios-on-G55VW&p=155208&viewfull=1#post155208

FalloutBoy
01-12-2013, 03:49 PM
how to downgrade bios?can you upload bios 204?thanks

samozen if you check the root of your c drive you might find that you already have it look for a 6 meg hidden file called G75VX.BIN that will be the bios version your G75 came with I.E 204,

I tried uploading a Zipped copy of 204 but the forum would not let me says the file exceeds the maximum file size, sorry about that.

Karrde
01-12-2013, 04:53 PM
...G75VX.BIN that will be the bios version your G75 came with I.E 204

Nope. Got my G75VX with 204 from stock and every G75VX.BIN i found (One at C:, another one at D:, one at EFI system partition and last one at WinRE partition) is unfortunately 201.
So, because i sense no problems with 204 at the moment, i have to wait until something important is added (and the end-user beta test is done).

samozen
01-12-2013, 10:59 PM
I have also 201 not 203 or 204.can you please upload it to mediafire?
thanks

gokica
01-12-2013, 11:12 PM
Guys go back to 203 not 204. There must be a reason why it is not listed officially. There was complaint about 204 on this forum.

Just get 203 and no need to go through hassle.

PadiG75VX
01-13-2013, 12:39 AM
Do not panic, 205 is not that bad, just small artifacts on startup, Keeping 205 until 206 realase

FalloutBoy
01-13-2013, 12:44 AM
Guys go back to 203 not 204. There must be a reason why it is not listed officially. There was complaint about 204 on this forum.

Just get 203 and no need to go through hassle.

Oh ? can you direct me to the thread related to the problems with 204 please, While I have not had any problems thus far with the 204 bios maybe its just something that I haven't played with yet.

Individ
01-13-2013, 03:19 AM
Do not panic, 205 is not that bad, just small artifacts on startup, Keeping 205 until 206 realase

Are you getting the artifacts as well?

Try removing the battery, power cord and any peripherals, and with the laptop turned off, hold the power button for 30+ seconds. Then see if it still occurs when you boot up again.

Individ
01-13-2013, 03:22 AM
Oh ? can you direct me to the thread related to the problems with 204 please, While I have not had any problems thus far with the 204 bios maybe its just something that I haven't played with yet.

He might be referring to my thread here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?27544-G75VX-Changed-boot-order-can-t-access-BIOS&p=207167&viewfull=1#post207167).

PadiG75VX
01-13-2013, 04:06 AM
Are you getting the artifacts as well?

Try removing the battery, power cord and any peripherals, and with the laptop turned off, hold the power button for 30+ seconds. Then see if it still occurs when you boot up again.

Tried..... still getting artifacts....

DirtyCodingHabitz
01-13-2013, 05:54 AM
I get artifacts on top of my screen just for a split second when it restarts. I don't really care because it's just a split second.

Karrde
01-13-2013, 02:58 PM
He might be referring to my thread here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?27544-G75VX-Changed-boot-order-can-t-access-BIOS&p=207167&viewfull=1#post207167).

Have you really changed the boot order with 205 again? With the risk of a second RMA, that would be brave.

gokica
01-13-2013, 03:20 PM

Yes, I was referring to Individ's post on the first page:

"I hope it's more stable than 204 was for me (which coincidentally was bypassed completely on the download page)! When I get my G75VX back from RMA if it is still sporting 204, this will be the first thing I flash! "

and his thread.

Individ
01-13-2013, 03:59 PM
Have you really changed the boot order with 205 again? With the risk of a second RMA, that would be brave.

Noooo my laptop is still being repaired. I should get it back in a week or so, but you better believe that I won't be risking changing the boot order from within the BIOS again! I think there's a "boot from" screen you can pull up with F12, or something like that... that's what I plan on doing lol

Spinal
01-13-2013, 05:41 PM
Hi, I'm getting strange artifacts at startup too since I upgrade to 205 firmware.
IMHO It shouldn't be a big deal. I'll wait for the next bios release.
This forum should be followed by an Asus tech who could help us on this kind of small problems.

Then, for the guis who had problem after bios upgrade and windows not starting, it may be because you configured a raid before the upgrade and you need to specify it again in the bios parameters. That's what I did and it worked !

PadiG75VX
01-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Hi, I'm getting strange artifacts at startup too since I upgrade to 205 firmware.
IMHO It shouldn't be a big deal. I'll wait for the next bios release.
This forum should be followed by an Asus tech who could help us on this kind of small problems.

Then, for the guis who had problem after bios upgrade and windows not starting, it may be because you configured a raid before the upgrade and you need to specify it again in the bios parameters. That's what I did and it worked !

I agree with you 100% Welcome to RoG

bernier
01-14-2013, 09:09 AM
If I upgrade to 205 can I still revert back to 203?

samozen
01-14-2013, 08:31 PM
yes you can any time

bernier
01-19-2013, 05:13 AM
Just installed 205 I also got flickering on start-up..

N8tiv
09-02-2017, 08:22 PM
The only program that opens instantly is Google Chrome.

I know this is an older thread, but…

When I uninstall Google Chrome, about 3 years ago… Maybe give or take 2-3 months.

ALL, of my performance problems went away…
I was so happy to have a fast machine again, I never bothered to investigate why Google Chrome would make my machine so slow.

3 years later, I'm getting prepared to make the jump to either the 26, 25 or 24 version of Fedora Workstation.

Even though it only takes about 90-135 seconds to scan my registry, it's just starting to get a little too tedious doing this 2 or 3 times a week.

Windows is starting to act like a high maintenance girlfriend! LOL :-)
SHE'S, got to go! LOL