PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Formatting G75!

Genhawk
01-10-2013, 10:50 PM
I just got my G75 in and wow, its full of bloatware that makes me cringe every time I boot windows!

If I want to re-install a fresh ZERO bloatware version of Windows, can I use the recovery CD or will it just re-install all that crap? I have a new Win 7 OEM I could install on it (not using it) but just want to make sure that everything would be ok. I know I can just get all the drivers from ASUS website (same I for for my P67 Sabertooth) but never really did a fresh install on a laptop before. I just want a super clean install with nothing but drivers. I can even run parted magic on the drive since some reason they dual partitioned the 750 gig hard drive, one for the OS and another for whatever.

Just want to make sure that I wouldn't be messing up or missing any critical drivers / updates? Either with my own fresh Win7 Install or using their recovery CD?

Clintlgm
01-10-2013, 11:07 PM
Check the stickies at the top of this forum, lots of good advice. also you will find clean install guides. Since you report you have a single Hard Drive you shouldn't run into any problems. SSD's require a little more care in how you go about it. But putting in a SSD about 256GB is a extremely good idea, since your going to clean install anyway. A good guide to clean install win 7 *banned website*

Genhawk
01-10-2013, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the quick reply!

The laptop came with a double partition, one named "OS" and the other named "data". I buddy told me that if I was to delete both partitions (and write zeros) that it would void my warranty?

Is that true?

Also I am thinking about ordering a SSD for it anyway while Im at it, what do you mean by "requires a little more care in how you go about it?" I didn't see anything about SSD installation in the stickies being tricky or anything!

Edit: I just order a Vertex 4 (120G) for the OS and stuff so any info you are talking about would be much appreciated!

Clintlgm
01-11-2013, 02:14 AM
149-G75-G55-amp-G46-IMPORTANT-amp-USEFUL-THREADS , There are several threads pertaining to a clean install on a SSD i suggest you read back through the threads. **********s install procedure is pretty through, I think there is a consensus that removing your hard drive to install windows on your SSD, then you have to deal with your hard drive, you may want to save the install partition in case for some reason you want to bring you NB back to factory condition at some point.

Pitcher@asus
01-11-2013, 02:44 AM
if you don't know who to do this, you can take to ASUS service center include change HDD, install OS. but i suggest you don't delete hidden partition, it is help you restore OS when you want to install OS.

Genhawk
01-11-2013, 03:48 AM
I know exactly what I am doing... but the way I was told " SSD's require a little more care in how you go about it." That makes me think there is some "trick" to getting a SSD to actually work, whether it be a special setting, hot swap or whatever! Knowing how to use a screw driver and where the hard drives are located doesn't answer my questions.

Simple questions with complicated answers... Thanks anyway though!

but again, will I lose warranty if I write zeros to the stock hard drive? I've read that some people have had trouble with Samsung with this issue!

Nevermind, I will just call Asus Tech Support and ask them directly; clearly there is some miscommunication here or something.

Thanks again,
Gen

New Question: Which partitions are the ones that I need to save? The 750 Stock Hard drive will be used just for games / space / etc. There are currently 4 partitions on the hard drive

1. 200MB (EFI System Partition)
2. 279.45G (OS)
3. 393.86G (DATA)
4. 25G (Recovery Partition)

So I will be doing a clean install on the SSD when I get it in, the above hard drive will be used just for storage. But in the event that I want to revert everything back to stock I will obviously save the "Recovery Partition"

Do I need to save the "EFI System Partition" also? I will be delete / combining the OS and DATA Partitions, just needs to know if i need to keep the EFI Ststem Partition.

Clintlgm
01-11-2013, 02:46 PM
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?27051-ASUS-G75VW-Clean-Install-Guide&country=&status= this is another thread on installing Win 7 on a new SSD. What you do with your current 750 HD is up to you. Keeping the Hidden Recovery Partition would be a good Idea allowing you to put the NB back to original at some point in the future. There are multiple threads here on installing SSD on the G75VW some of us have kept the drives GPT, other are changing back to IDE. The other thing is not all disk Utilities will work with GPT disk, Acronis 2012 and newer is one that does, Mini tool partition wizard Home is free and also does work with GPT disk and Partitions. When I purchased my Samsung 830 it came with a Norton Ghost disk in the packaging. Some of us used DVD to install and others have had better luck using a USB drive to install. Whether you keep UEIF or convert back to IDE is up to you, there are lots of opinions both ways.

Correct me If I miss stated anything here?