PDA

View Full Version : Down clock?

TheDeepFryer
06-26-2011, 11:46 PM
Been playing cod 4 in full graphics recently. I seem to be achieving the same frame rates as my nvidia 9600gt im juts wondering if this is usual or not becuase on comparison the gtx 460 should be about 5x better i think haha.

Just wondering if my 460 has a massive under clock or if something else may be wrong. Also is running the laptop without the battery fine? just to preserve its battery life :S

TheDeepFryer
06-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Bump :S

manu72
06-27-2011, 02:35 PM
apparently there is an automatic down-throttling happening under high cpu/gpu workload. There is a thread on notebookreview forums @ http://forum .notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/576468-g73-53sw-owners-cpu-throttling-798mhz-how-fix.html
mind the spaces from the url.

dunno if it is the case or not, but maybe

irdmoose
06-27-2011, 10:58 PM
The gpu and cpu both downclock themselves if they're overheating. Have you by chance gone into the advanced power settings to make sure everything is set to maximum performance for the power profile that you're using? Sometimes that'll take a chunk out of your FPS. Also, try running it with the batteries in. Some laptop vendors (don't know if Asus is doing it with the Sandybridge systems or not) were shipping systems that either wouldn't run without a battery in or wouldn't run properly. I doubt Asus did this, but it's worth a shot.

Have you updated your graphics drivers from nVidia's website? That could also be taking a chunk out of your frame rate.

TheDeepFryer
06-28-2011, 01:45 AM
Thanks for your replys.

Yes i have updated the drivers from the nvidia website, ive only taken a look at the advanced power options and it looked like it was all right.
Ill take a look at the thread now :S

TheDeepFryer
06-28-2011, 03:39 AM
Update.
Been running my laptop without it's battery and it seems fine, ill just have to take a look at the thread posted above (on the school laptops lol so i cant go on it :P )

irdmoose
06-28-2011, 07:05 PM
I've been reading that some of the sandybridge laptops have issues with throttling. There is a program that may solve your issue. I think it's called Throttle Stop. This thread should cover your issue: http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?2329-ATTENTION-G73-53SW-Owners-CPU-Throttling-to-798mhz-and-how-to-fix-it&highlight=throttle

TheDeepFryer
06-29-2011, 01:04 AM
So throttle stop wont put any more stresss on the cpu? just lets it continue in "normal operation"?

dkillone
06-29-2011, 04:27 AM
Yup yup, it will still downclock when not in use to conserve power/run cooler. Basically it just prevents it from downclocking when it is not supposed during an intensive running game, allowing for more frames and smoother gameplay

TheDeepFryer
06-29-2011, 04:36 AM
Thanks fo the info guys, great help :D