PDA

View Full Version : Thermal module standoff broken off G51JX-X1 (G60JX motherboard)

Mooninaut
01-10-2013, 11:50 PM
I have a G51JX-X1 15" notebook. It has a G60JX (0204A) motherboard, PN 69N0GZM10C05.

I opened it up because it was overheating, and discovered that the standoff that holds the CPU Thermal Module (http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4108) and GPU Thermal Module (http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4109) together and to the motherboard has broken off. There are two holes in the CPU Thermal Module metal plate, which you can see in the photo on the store. They should both have round, 1/4" long standoffs below the holes, between the metal plate and the motherboard. Each one should have a screw that goes through the metal plate and into the standoff.

The standoff that corresponds to the hole closer to the camera in the CPU Thermal Module photo is gone. It seems like it was soldered in place and broke off.

Does anyone know where I could get a replacement standoff? There's a computer repair place where I live that says they can solder a new one on if they can get the part, but they don't know where to get the part.

Pitcher@asus
01-11-2013, 03:42 AM
i think and suggest you shoud be sending RMA to ASUS service center.

Mooninaut
01-11-2013, 06:10 AM
i think and suggest you shoud be sending RMA to ASUS service center.
The issue with that is that I'd be sending my laptop, which is several years old and has been repaired multiple times by third parties, to ASUS, who won't give any of the repair shops I've spoken to a quote before seeing the hardware itself, with no guarantee that they will fix the problem, no guarantee that fixing the problem would not involve replacing the entire motherboard, and no idea how much it will cost in either case, in order to obtain a replacement for a 50 part.

I can't justify shipping the laptop, at my own expense, to ASUS, without knowing in advance that it is fixable without replacing the motherboard.

[edit] For that matter, even if it is fixable without replacing the motherboard, I can't really justify paying for shipping both ways in order to obtain a replacement for a 50 part. Shipping laptops is expensive. I'd like to pay for shipping just the part.